Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: internet connection slow in certain applications

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    1,540

    Default internet connection slow in certain applications

    I have recently moved countries and have finally got my internet connected today after a lengthy wait.
    I have a pretty fast connection - it's a fibre connection at approx 100Mbps
    Between my onu (modem) & computer (Lenovo SL510) I have a cisco wrt120N wireless router.
    I'm using Opensuse 11.3 (also dual boot with Win7)

    My problem is . . .
    When I enter url in firefox (4) I get the message "looking up www. . ." for approx 5 to 15 seconds before anything starts to load.
    I also have the same behaviour in konqueror, firefox and yast software manager.

    If I use Google Chrome the pages load instantly. Even never before visited pages.

    A typical webpage such as Stuff.co.nz - Latest New Zealand News & World News, Sports News & NZ Weather Forecasts takes approx 20 to thirty secs to load in firefox and 3 seconds in Chrome. I can see the same behaviour always whether Chrome used first or firefox used first - so cache does not appear to be the issue.

    If I boot into Win7 - websites load instantly there also.

    I have updated to the latest wireless drivers for my system - but the behaviour is also evident if I attach a lan cable.

    Here is a little info

    Code:
     /sbin/ifconfig
    eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 60:EB:69:AE:C6:28  
              UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
              RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
              Interrupt:32 
    
    lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
              inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
              inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
              UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
              RX packets:104 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:104 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
              RX bytes:10774 (10.5 Kb)  TX bytes:10774 (10.5 Kb)
    
    wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 5C:AC:4C:BE:C0:D7  
              inet addr:192.168.1.3  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
              inet6 addr: fe80::5eac:4cff:febe:c0d7/64 Scope:Link
              UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:8922 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:5670 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
              RX bytes:6616492 (6.3 Mb)  TX bytes:1006090 (982.5 Kb)
              Interrupt:19 Memory:fa0c8000-fa0c8100
    Code:
    cat /etc/resolv.conf
    ### /etc/resolv.conf file autogenerated by netconfig!
    #
    # Before you change this file manually, consider to define the
    # static DNS configuration using the following variables in the
    # /etc/sysconfig/network/config file:
    #     NETCONFIG_DNS_STATIC_SEARCHLIST
    #     NETCONFIG_DNS_STATIC_SERVERS
    #     NETCONFIG_DNS_FORWARDER
    # or disable DNS configuration updates via netconfig by setting:
    #     NETCONFIG_DNS_POLICY=''
    #
    # See also the netconfig(8) manual page and other documentation.
    #
    # Note: Manual change of this file disables netconfig too, but
    # may get lost when this file contains comments or empty lines
    # only, the netconfig settings are same with settings in this
    # file and in case of a "netconfig update -f" call.
    #
    ### Please remove (at least) this line when you modify the file!
    nameserver 202.224.32.1
    nameserver 202.224.32.2
    Code:
    /sbin/route -n
    Kernel IP routing table
    Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
    192.168.1.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     2      0        0 wlan0
    127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0 lo
    0.0.0.0         192.168.1.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 wlan0
    I'd appreciate any help I can get as I just can't work out how almost my entire system is slow to connect to the internet except for one application (Chrome)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    1,540

    Default Re: internet connection slow in certain applications

    OK - it appears to be IPv6 related.

    If I disable IPv6 in Firefox then the problem disappears.
    Not sure why not a problem in Chrome - does Chrome not support IPv6 or something?

    Anyway - I still need to fix this in applications other than Firefox.
    How do I disable IPv6 system wide?

    Oh - and why not the problem in windows7?

    Is IPv6 support in Opensuse a bit flaky?
    When I upgrade to 11.4 (next week) will I likely still see the issue?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    4,654

    Default Re: internet connection slow in certain applications

    farcusnz wrote:

    > Is IPv6 support in Opensuse a bit flaky?
    > When I upgrade to 11.4 (next week) will I likely still see the issue?
    >

    It has nothing to do with openSUSE. If your router or your provider or
    anything in that chain between your computer and the rest of the world has
    no or no good ipv6 support you will run into that trap.
    Your system will first try to use ipv6 and if that times out fall back to
    ipv4 (as far as I understand for every single request) and that makes it
    sluggish.

    To disable it system wide pass ipv6.disable=1 as boot parameter and in yast
    -> /etc/sysconfig editor -> desktop set KDE_USE_IPV6 to no.

    --
    PC: oS 11.3 64 bit | Intel Core2 Quad Q8300@2.50GHz | KDE 4.6.3 | GeForce
    9600 GT | 4GB Ram
    Eee PC 1201n: oS 11.4 64 bit | Intel Atom 330@1.60GHz | KDE 4.6.0 | nVidia
    ION | 3GB Ram

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Moldova
    Posts
    129

    Default Re: internet connection slow in certain applications

    hello,

    How do I disable IPv6 system wide?
    from Yast/Network Settings/Global Options and uncheck "Enable IPv6" save and reboot

    Oh - and why not the problem in windows7?
    Good question I suppose win7 imlementation is abit smater ...

    When I upgrade to 11.4 (next week) will I likely still see the issue?
    Yes, at least I had the same issue and a lot of people on the forum wrote about the same

    for me after I have disable ipv6 from yast everything works fine in all applications

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: internet connection slow in certain applications

    On 05/17/2011 05:06 PM, farcusnz wrote:
    >
    > OK - it appears to be IPv6 related.
    >
    > If I disable IPv6 in Firefox then the problem disappears.
    > Not sure why not a problem in Chrome - does Chrome not support IPv6 or
    > something?
    >
    > Anyway - I still need to fix this in applications other than Firefox.
    > How do I disable IPv6 system wide?
    >
    > Oh - and why not the problem in windows7?
    >
    > Is IPv6 support in Opensuse a bit flaky?
    > When I upgrade to 11.4 (next week) will I likely still see the issue?
    >
    >

    to disable in firefox, type:

    Code:
    about:config
    in the address bar, press enter then search for

    Code:
    disable ipv6
    Double click to set value to true if currently set to false.

    those three things (two given by Martin) will disable ipv6 in openSUSE,
    and Martin is telling you true, it works well in your machine...the
    problem is elsewhere..

    why not the problem in windows? i don't know for sure, but i GUESS
    windows does not do ipv6....i do know that we in Linux have suffered
    from the slowdowns for a few years, which is why we learned to disable..

    if Win7 was born ipv6 ready then they too would have the _same_ slowdown..

    --
    dd CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
    [NNTP via openSUSE 11.4 [2.6.37.6-0.5] + KDE 4.6.0 + Thunderbird 3.1.10]
    Dual booting with Sluggish Loser7 on Acer Aspire One D255

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    4,654

    Default Re: internet connection slow in certain applications

    DenverD wrote:

    > if Win7 was born ipv6 ready then they too would have the _same_ slowdown..
    >

    I have seen some forum posts (for windows vista and 7) with the same problem
    - slow internet because of ipv6 and a howto which describes the windows way
    to disable it (http://www.home-network-help.com/disable-ipv6.html). Maybe
    microsoft learned meanwhile to disable it by default and the problem is no
    longer there??
    Maybe we should have the same in openSUSE?? Not sure?
    On the other hand who knows if there are more people having problems with
    ipv6 enabled than people who would be unlucky if it is disabled??

    --
    PC: oS 11.3 64 bit | Intel Core2 Quad Q8300@2.50GHz | KDE 4.6.3 | GeForce
    9600 GT | 4GB Ram
    Eee PC 1201n: oS 11.4 64 bit | Intel Atom 330@1.60GHz | KDE 4.6.0 | nVidia
    ION | 3GB Ram

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    1,540

    Default Re: internet connection slow in certain applications

    Quote Originally Posted by martin_helm View Post
    farcusnz wrote:

    > Is IPv6 support in Opensuse a bit flaky?
    > When I upgrade to 11.4 (next week) will I likely still see the issue?
    >

    It has nothing to do with openSUSE. If your router or your provider or
    anything in that chain between your computer and the rest of the world has
    no or no good ipv6 support you will run into that trap.
    Your system will first try to use ipv6 and if that times out fall back to
    ipv4 (as far as I understand for every single request) and that makes it
    sluggish.

    To disable it system wide pass ipv6.disable=1 as boot parameter and in yast
    -> /etc/sysconfig editor -> desktop set KDE_USE_IPV6 to no.

    --
    PC: oS 11.3 64 bit | Intel Core2 Quad Q8300@2.50GHz | KDE 4.6.3 | GeForce
    9600 GT | 4GB Ram
    Eee PC 1201n: oS 11.4 64 bit | Intel Atom 330@1.60GHz | KDE 4.6.0 | nVidia
    ION | 3GB Ram
    Thanks for this.
    I'll give it a try.

    My guess is the weak link is my router. I know for sure it does not support IPv6 as I have Hikari TV (an IPTV platform that uses IPv6) and I have to bypass my router to get the tuner to connect.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kansas City Area, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    7,235

    Default Re: internet connection slow in certain applications

    On 05/17/2011 12:06 PM, farcusnz wrote:
    >
    > My guess is the weak link is my router. I know for sure it does not
    > support IPv6 as I have Hikari TV (an IPTV platform that uses IPv6) and I
    > have to bypass my router to get the tuner to connect.


    First of all, check to see if that router has a firmware upgrade.

    The problem usually is not that the name server does not support IPv6, but that
    it lies about supporting it. If it returns an "AAAA+" record, that indicates
    support for IPv6, but if that support is not there, then the timeouts will occur.

    Try a manual edit of /etc/resolv.conf, remove the nameserver line that is there,
    and add

    Code:
    nameserver 8.8.8.8
    nameserver 8.8.4.4
    Those are Google's public name servers, and they do handle IPv6 correctly.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •