Thread: Issue Installing from DVD.

Default Issue Installing from DVD.

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite A665

Recently, for what ever reason (I am led to suspect a bad harddrive), Windows 7 failed to boot even in safe mode so I decided to just use a clear hard drive and install a far less troublesome OS, so I decided to try to use openSUSE. I used a backup laptop to download and burn the 4.7 GB release. Problem is, I haven't a clue how to get it to work. I thought just placing the burned DVD in when booting would be enough, but the BIOS keeps telling me it fails to launch from CD. Luckily, I had enough foresight to download a live CD just in case. I was able to install from the live CD, and when I checked the DVD, I was able to access all the content, but I haven't a clue how to use it to upgrade/install all the extra software.

Also, I should add I am completely new to this whole thing. While I have used Linux before, for the most part others dealt with all the administrative aspects of ensuring the system actually ran/had the needed software on it.

Finally, I have one major restriction placed on this whole issue. I live out in the middle of no-where and the only internet I can get is limited to 200MB a day (I downloaded the CD/DVD elsewhere, but normally don't have a chance to do that). As such, being able to install from the DVD and not needing to download much software would be a major help.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Issue Installing from DVD.

Ideally you should take your machine and update it and install the multimedia
    Multimedia in One Click
    Update is via Yast > Software > Online Update
    or in a terminal as su - YouTube - su term.mpeg
    Code:
    zypper up

When isolated from the internet proper for most of the time you need to disable the online repositories (if you can keep 'Updates' enabled that would be better) in Yast > Software > Repositories
    ImageBam - Fast, Free Image Hosting and Photo Sharing
    Also disable the CD entry

In this section
    ImageBam - Fast, Free Image Hosting and Photo Sharing
    Add the DVD as a source

Generally, the easy way to find what you need and to install is: Yast > Software > Software Management
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below