Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 47

Thread: package manager

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,825
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default package manager

    I want to do a package manager where it handles a variety of package types, deb, rpm, source, bin. Secondly, it should ask on packages like Firefox for example, where to install it. Perhaps in the users home directory, perhaps in /usr/... maybe some place else that the user wants. It should also ask if the user wants the application or service to run in a chroot environment. Ofcourse there should be a setting/option to go with defaults.

    The package manager should be able to read the spec file of the deb or rpm and satisfy the requirements. It should not cause conflicts due to deb or rpm packages.

    I'd like to do this in python.

    Comments, tips, suggestions?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ελλάδα(Αθήνα)-Россия (г. Красноярск)
    Posts
    1,711

    Default Απ: package manager

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan_R View Post
    I want to do a package manager where it handles a variety of package types, deb, rpm, source, bin. Secondly, it should ask on packages like Firefox for example, where to install it. Perhaps in the users home directory, perhaps in /usr/... maybe some place else that the user wants. It should also ask if the user wants the application or service to run in a chroot environment. Ofcourse there should be a setting/option to go with defaults.

    The package manager should be able to read the spec file of the deb or rpm and satisfy the requirements. It should not cause conflicts due to deb or rpm packages.

    I'd like to do this in python.

    Comments, tips, suggestions?
    In which programming language do you plan to create this package manager?
    Πάντα Φιλικά, Στάμος.
    Desktop: openSUSE Leap 15.3||x86_64||Gnome 3.14 & KDE 5||AMD Ryzen 7 8 core||Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti Gaming Edition
    Γλώσσες Προγραμματισμού: C++, Qt developing.
    http://bit.ly/fT8Hfi

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,825
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Απ: package manager

    Quote Originally Posted by stamostolias View Post
    In which programming language do you plan to create this package manager?
    As I said in my original post
    I'd like to do this in python.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ελλάδα(Αθήνα)-Россия (г. Красноярск)
    Posts
    1,711

    Default Απ: Re: Απ: package manager

    Sorry I am so tired. It will be better to write it in C++. It is the programming language who I know and teach. Try to use Qt-creator or maybe suse studio is useful for you.
    Πάντα Φιλικά, Στάμος.
    Desktop: openSUSE Leap 15.3||x86_64||Gnome 3.14 & KDE 5||AMD Ryzen 7 8 core||Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti Gaming Edition
    Γλώσσες Προγραμματισμού: C++, Qt developing.
    http://bit.ly/fT8Hfi

  5. #5

    Default Re: Απ: package manager

    You might have a good reason to want to program such a thing. But since you're asking for suggestions, I would say: Don't do it! If you create packages for openSUSE, you would use rpms. If you install Debian or Ubuntu packages, either they are so simple that you could just alien them or that are unlikely to work. Btw I wouldn't be surprised if such meta package managers already exist - and are not used because they are simply not needed.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,825
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Απ: Re: Απ: package manager

    Quote Originally Posted by stamostolias View Post
    Sorry I am so tired. It will be better to write it in C++. It is the programming language who I know and teach. Try to use Qt-creator or maybe suse studio is useful for you.
    I don't know C++ or QT. I'd have to learn it. At least I have some understanding of python.
    SUSE studio would not work for this at all. That's for building an openSUSE distro.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ελλάδα(Αθήνα)-Россия (г. Красноярск)
    Posts
    1,711

    Default Απ: Re: Απ: Re: Απ: package manager

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan_R View Post
    I don't know C++ or QT. I'd have to learn it. At least I have some understanding of python.
    SUSE studio would not work for this at all. That's for building an openSUSE distro.
    Because it is a Rpm, it will be better to download the rpm builder. software.opensuse.org: Search Results

    I can help you if this package manager based on C++ or Qt.
    Πάντα Φιλικά, Στάμος.
    Desktop: openSUSE Leap 15.3||x86_64||Gnome 3.14 & KDE 5||AMD Ryzen 7 8 core||Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti Gaming Edition
    Γλώσσες Προγραμματισμού: C++, Qt developing.
    http://bit.ly/fT8Hfi

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,825
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Απ: package manager

    Quote Originally Posted by please_try_again View Post
    You might have a good reason to want to program such a thing. But since you're asking for suggestions, I would say: Don't do it! If you create packages for openSUSE, you would use rpms. If you install Debian or Ubuntu packages, either they are so simple that you could just alien them or that are unlikely to work. Btw I wouldn't be surprised if such meta package managers already exist - and are not used because they are simply not needed.
    I do have reasons for it. One just to test a theory of mine. I also hope it would lead to a unified package manager and a unified package type, but thats a ways off. I am aware of alien, but I want to do this with out alien. By reading the spec files, scanning the files on the local machine and resolving deps that way.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,825
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Απ: Re: Απ: Re: Απ: package manager

    Quote Originally Posted by stamostolias View Post
    Because it is a Rpm, it will be better to download the rpm builder. software.opensuse.org: Search Results

    I can help you if this package manager based on C++ or Qt.
    I have rpmbuilder, but thats for building rpm packages, not package managers.

    Check out smart package manager. It was/is written in python. No I am not trying to duplicate that effort. Smart Package Manager - Labix

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ελλάδα(Αθήνα)-Россия (г. Красноярск)
    Posts
    1,711

    Default Απ: Re: Απ: Re: Απ: Re: Απ: package manager

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan_R View Post
    I have rpmbuilder, but thats for building rpm packages, not package managers.

    Check out smart package manager. It was/is written in python. No I am not trying to duplicate that effort. Smart Package Manager - Labix
    It is good. I want to ask you which programming language do you know??
    Πάντα Φιλικά, Στάμος.
    Desktop: openSUSE Leap 15.3||x86_64||Gnome 3.14 & KDE 5||AMD Ryzen 7 8 core||Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti Gaming Edition
    Γλώσσες Προγραμματισμού: C++, Qt developing.
    http://bit.ly/fT8Hfi

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •