Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gnome 3 on Opensuse: My compliments to the chef!

Default Gnome 3 on Opensuse: My compliments to the chef!

Just wanted to post up and thank those responsible for making Gnome 3 on Opensuse such a joy. I've been using it for a while now, and in spite of how new it is, and how Opensuse is perceived as a KDE distro, I've had no bother at all with it. In fact I've thoroughly enjoyed it, so much so I've moved to Opensuse as my main OS. Thanks!

I had been using Ubuntu for some years; since 2007 in fact, and I've always enjoyed it. But sadly, in recent times it's been very buggy for me. I don't know if it's my hardware, or me, or just that they aren't fixing the more glaring bugs, but for whatever reason it's been less fun to use for about a year or so, and I knew I would have to switch somewhere. It really hit home when trying out 11.04 with Unity. I quite like the idea of Unity (though I'd tried Gnome 3 beforehand and Unity didn't match up imo), but I just couldn't use it when X seized up at every boot, or the themes kept randomly changing, or so many other simple but silly bugs ruined it. Such a shame.

Opensuse was a bit of a stab in the dark for me, as I've never really strayed too far from DEB. But it's is so fast and easy to use, it made it a complete no-brainer, especially coupled with the excellent Gnome 3 so well integrated.

So gushing over. My thanks again to those who made it so cool.

Default Re: Gnome 3 on Opensuse: My compliments to the chef!

+1

I have also percieved openSUSE to be a very KDE-heavy distro. Allthough, I am really digging the new Gnome3 desktop experience!!
    Great job everyone!

Blog Entries

I full heartedly support the title. This coming from a 10 years+ KDE user. A big hand to @malcolmlewis and the people from the openSUSE GNOME Team.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

I just installed Gnome 3 and i think it is a very intuitive desktop.
    Yes, you can not adjust everything but mostly there is no need to do it.
    So far i can say, that it is quite nice and a fun ride for me. But i am well aware that not everyone will like it.

I just wonder if you can operate it via touchscreen.
    +++ ATH0

. . . . . . . .
    LOGOFF COMPLETE

Just installed Gnome 3 and it looks great. Well done.
    Cheers. Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    I full heartedly support the title. This coming from a 10 years+ KDE user. A big hand to @malcolmlewis and the people from the openSUSE GNOME Team.
    Wow 10 years? That's a long time bro.

+1

Tried Gnome 3 at Fedora, but it was a huge disappointment, there were too many bugs.
    OpenSUSE worked like a charm from the first second!

Nice to see so many people feeling the same way as me. I'm telling anyone who'll listen that openSUSE is better than the others, and especially so when it comes to Gnome 3, which is still blowing my socks off. I've seen some negative videos on YouTube about Gnome 3, and when I check which systems they're running on, it's the same culprits, Ubuntu and Fedora, and it always surprises me to see how buggy they are with Gnome 3. I would have negative things to say too if mine was running like theirs. But it isn't, because on openSUSE it's just so amazingly fast, solid and trouble free.

If you're reading this and your Fedora or Ubuntu with Gnome 3 is bugging out, then please consider openSUSE. To me this is the best place to enjoy this brilliant DE, and is currently Linux's best kept secret imho. I can't stress enough how amazing it's been for me. I'm so looking forward to seeing what the devs do with Gnome 3 in the future, and I'll be sticking here for some time to come.

And here we have more insane people praising Gnome 3, honestly I must be one of the few people around who actually likes having customization in their OS.
    I dont get it, and I never will

I'm a bit confused about that stance, DancingMadRB3. Gnome 3 is only just starting its (hopefully long) life, and customising options are beginning to come through on Gnome-Look. I fully expect there to be a wealth of cosmetic options available on Gnome 3 in the future, so this is not an area that worries me at all. I will add though that I love the default Gnome 3 theme, and have only felt the need to tweak it slightly so far. I added the power off button, and made the icons slightly smaller for my desktop. That'll do me until more options become available.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast