Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GNOME-Shell Refuses to Work after FULL REINSTALL, What's Going On?!

Default Re: GNOME-Shell Refuses to Work after FULL REINSTALL, What's Going On?!

Hi Kinzie,

You're right, it could be my graphics hardware indeed, however I have had gnome3 fully working beforehand. My graphics card appears to be working fine as I am able to watch HD video and play Minecraft in fallback mode fine.

I have however just now tried installing Linux Mint 11 and trying the PPA for Gnome 3 and am now experiencing the same issue, perhaps it is my gpu, I wouldn't be surprised if ANOTHER nvidia card has given up the ghost on me.

But it seems strange if 3d acceleration is working fine and yet it can't run a desktop shell.

Hmm that is odd. Do you have a temperature monitor installed to keep an eye, or can you otherwise see the card and see the fan is working OK?

Another option is if you use a separate /Home partition, and a config file somewhere from your old install is causing you problems on your new one.

Hi there

I regularly keep an eye on the cards temp, it normally stays arounds 65. Not exactly cold I know hut it would work in fallback mode.

I took the card out and ran it with my Gma 950. Gnome 3 including the shell worked beautifully on the mint install. So now I have reinstalled opensuse and am very happy with gnome 3 and minecraft working great. Thanks very much kinzie for sharing your solution, has me back up and running.

Thanks everyone for their prompt replies and help, one of the best things about this my favourite distro is the community.

Yep I'm having the same issue. Nvidia driver working fine on Gnome2 and icewm but gnome-shell won't start after the latest batch of updates

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anelay1961 View Post
    Yep I'm having the same issue. Nvidia driver working fine on Gnome2 and icewm but gnome-shell won't start after the latest batch of updates
    Hi
    Yo need to run either Gnome 2.x or Gnome 3.x not both.....
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

I'm not sure its even possible to have both installed but yeah....... what I meant was I reinstalled Gnome2 and all was good, then installed Gnome3 again and it wasn't

Blog Entries

Hi
    I wonder if some of the .gnome2, .gconf and .gconfd files are an issue. If you get around to trying it out again, I would look at a fresh install from the liveCD after backing up your home directory so it's a pure Gnome 3.0 install.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12