unable to capture sound

I am unable to capture sound from the sound card. I used to be able to do this with ease in SuSE 10.0 and 11.2. Now I have 11.4 and not only do I NOT have access to the sound card’s channels (for base, treble, turning the mic on/off, and line in, Analog Capture Boost, etc) but now I can’t seem to get at the settings for capturing sound coming from the sound card.

I have tried using the Alsa mixer by way of the terminal and went to the Capture section and turned all of the settings all the way up. I didn’t see any settings for Capture Boost as was available with 11.2’s Alsa mixer GUI.

Here’s more of my info:

uname -a                                                                                                                         
Linux linux-h3s9 2.6.37.6-0.5-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT 2011-04-25 21:48:33 +0200 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux     

cat /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf

options snd slots=snd-emu10k1
# 2+Ni.trsEqNGuZ00:SB0090 Audigy Player
alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1

rpm -qa '*alsa*'
alsamixergui-0.9.0rc1-1492.1.x86_64
alsa-plugins-pulse-1.0.24-6.1.x86_64
alsa-1.0.24.1-4.7.1.x86_64
alsa-plugins-pulse-32bit-1.0.24-6.1.x86_64
alsa-oss-1.0.17-32.1.x86_64
alsa-oss-32bit-1.0.17-32.1.x86_64
alsa-utils-1.0.24.2-3.1.x86_64
alsa-plugins-32bit-1.0.24-6.1.x86_64
alsa-plugins-1.0.24-6.1.x86_64
alsa-firmware-1.0.24.1-3.1.noarch

rpm -qa '*pulse*'
libpulse-browse0-0.9.22-6.11.1.x86_64
pulseaudio-module-lirc-0.9.22-6.11.1.x86_64
alsa-plugins-pulse-1.0.24-6.1.x86_64
libpulse0-32bit-0.9.22-6.11.1.x86_64
libpulse0-0.9.22-6.11.1.x86_64
pulseaudio-module-x11-0.9.22-6.11.1.x86_64
pulseaudio-utils-0.9.22-6.11.1.x86_64
alsa-plugins-pulse-32bit-1.0.24-6.1.x86_64
pulseaudio-esound-compat-0.9.22-6.11.1.x86_64
libpulse-mainloop-glib0-0.9.22-6.11.1.x86_64
pulseaudio-module-jack-0.9.22-6.11.1.x86_64
pulseaudio-module-bluetooth-0.9.22-6.11.1.x86_64
pulseaudio-module-zeroconf-0.9.22-6.11.1.x86_64
libxine1-pulse-1.1.19-4.4.x86_64
pulseaudio-0.9.22-6.11.1.x86_64

rpm -q libasound2
libasound2-1.0.24.1-4.7.1.x86_64

Isn’t there ANY GUI sound mixer available that will give me access to all the channels I require? I not only record sound from my sound card, but I also use my mic at times for Skype and I like to be able to turn it off when not in use, rather than unplugging it all the time. I used to be able to do this with 11.2 and 10.0 and I really liked it that way. BTW, the plug for the mic is in the back of the computer and it’s not convenient to have to plug/unplug it from there each time.

For some apps, it’s just a good thing to have all the sound settings done and in place before starting up the app. This I cannot do right now because of the changes to KMix and the Alsa GUI. I really really don’t like this at all. :frowning:

>
> Isn’t there ANY GUI sound mixer available that will give me access to
> all the channels I require? I not only record sound from my sound card,
> but I also use my mic at times for Skype and I like to be able to turn
> it off when not in use, rather than unplugging it all the time. I used
> to be able to do this with 11.2 and 10.0 and I really liked it that way.
> BTW, the plug for the mic is in the back of the computer and it’s not
> convenient to have to plug/unplug it from there each time.
>
> For some apps, it’s just a good thing to have all the sound settings
> done and in place before starting up the app. This I cannot do right
> now because of the changes to KMix and the Alsa GUI. I really really
> don’t like this at all. :frowning:
>

Hi,

try deinstalling pulseaudio, restart and you should be able to select the
channles in KMix.

LG

Wenn Planlosigkeit ein Wassertropfen ist,
dann ist Windows ein Wasserfall.

You can also try to disable pulseaudio instead of removing it. Run setup-pulseaudio --disable as root, then a re-login. This solved my problems.

Fredrik

I missed this thread.

I am able to record sound in 11.4 with pulse audio enabled. If one’s pc is reasonably new, one has more flexibility AND control with pulse (although for some hardware there are still bugs).

I find it easier to configure pulse audio if I install the volume control application for pulse audio which is called “pavucontrol”. It comes with 11.4 but it is not installed by default with 11.4. Then when trying to record sound with 11.4, also launch the application ‘pavucontrol’ from a terminal, and use that application to tune (there is a record tab and an input tab). Once one has the mic selected and tuned, one does not need to launch ‘pavucontrol’ again (unless one wishes to change the configuration).

Also, when recording, use a simple application such as ‘arecord’ :

arecord -vv -f cd test.wav 

If you wish us to check your mixer settings then can you run (when your PC is connected to the internet) the diagnostic script:

/usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh 

and that will post the information on to an area of the alsa web site and give you its location (via a website URL/address). Please post the location here so we can check the settings.

this is what I got from /usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh:
http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=2541aaa2b02b243bba8af56677feca1085ebf4b5

This is the result of arecord -vv -f cd test.wav

Recording WAVE 'test.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Stereo
Plug PCM: ALSA <-> PulseAudio PCM I/O Plugin
Its setup is:
  stream       : CAPTURE
  access       : RW_INTERLEAVED
  format       : S16_LE
  subformat    : STD
  channels     : 2
  rate         : 44100
  exact rate   : 44100 (44100/1)
  msbits       : 16
  buffer_size  : 22050
  period_size  : 5512
  period_time  : 125000
  tstamp_mode  : NONE
  period_step  : 1
  avail_min    : 5512
  period_event : 0
  start_threshold  : 1
  stop_threshold   : 22050
  silence_threshold: 0
  silence_size : 0
  boundary     : 6206523236469964800
#+                                                            | 00%

I checked and I didn’t see any packages named, arecord.

I just installed and tried pavucontrol but for the recording tab, it’s all blanked (grayed) out.

I don’t understand. This is the exact SAME audio card that I’ve been using for years and I had been able to record right from it without much trouble at all. Why would there be such trouble now?

If I were to disable pulse audio like **holmfred **said, then would I still have sound? If it were necessary, would I have to re-enable it like this? setup-pulseaudio --enable

One types that command in a terminal:

arecord -vv -f cd test.wav

Type “whereis arecord” and you will get something like:

arecord: **/usr/bin/arecord** /usr/bin/X11/arecord /usr/share/man/man1/arecord.1.gz 

which besides telling you ‘arecord’ is a binary file, it also tells you the path. So knowing the path, then type:

rpm -qf /usr/bin/arecord 

which should give something like:

alsa-utils-1.0.23-1.8.x86_64

now thats from my 11.3 PC. Your PC with 11.4 will be different but it should show you that ‘arecord’ comes with alsa-utils.

Hopefully that clears up your arecord puzzlement. ‘arecord’ is an executable file that comes with the rpm package ‘alsa-utils’ on openSUSE. Ok ?

I’ll look at the remainder of what you posted shortly.

That tells me you have 3 record devices of which one for certain is a mic ! :

ARECORD

**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Audigy [SB Audigy 1 [SB0090]], device 0: emu10k1 [ADC Capture/Standard PCM Playback]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Audigy [SB Audigy 1 [SB0090]], device 1: emu10k1 mic [Mic Capture]
card 0: Audigy [SB Audigy 1 [SB0090]], device 2: emu10k1 efx [Multichannel Capture/PT Playback]

ie hw:0,0

Now I’m not familiar with the ‘audigy’ audio that you have on your PC, but I note this:

**!!Amixer output**
!!-------------

**!!-------Mixer controls for card 0 [Audigy]**

**Card hw:0 'Audigy'/'SB Audigy 1 [SB0090]** (rev.3, serial:0x511102) at 0xec00, irq 16'
  Mixer name    : 'TriTech TR28602'
  Components    : 'AC97a:54524123'
  Controls      : 194
  Simple ctrls  : 30
**Simple mixer control 'Mic Boost ( 20dB)',0**
  Mono: Playback **[off]**
**Simple mixer control 'Analog Capture Boost',0**
**Simple mixer control 'Audigy Analog/Digital Output Jack',0**
  Mono: Playback [off]

You have the capture boost OFF. That often mutes recording. So unmute it !

You need to run pavucontrol at the SAME TIME you are actively trying to record.

I finally was able to record something but it is so very very faint! I can’t even turn up the capture volume, (it said, “cannot control volume, use system mixer instead”) nor the playback volume. I was using Audacity, which I have been using for years. (I like having a GUI to control recording rather than a terminal.) The volume from there had been turned all the way up. I checked in Alsa Mixer (using alsamixer -c 0) and turned up everything I could find regarding recording and playback but that did not help.
In pavucontrol, the record tab was still grayed out while recording was in progress. :frowning:

This is a snapshot: http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h186/gymnart/notgoodrecording.png
The bar at the bottom of pavucontrol was moving as I was recording but I don’t know if that was because of playing the song or was it because it was recording.

I get the exact same view when recording (in pavucontrol) for the tab, but when I click on the recording tab, I obtain the recording tab page. I also tune the ‘input’ tab page.

IMHO you do not have the boost up yet.

What boost?
my recording tab page is still grayed out when recording (or at least trying to) and it says that there is no recording device being used but it** is **being used.

Here is what I get with arecord running in a terminal (in my case I have the volume capture at 0% ) :

Configuration tab:
http://thumbnails21.imagebam.com/13244/d0848f132438103.jpg](ImageBam)
Click on the image to get a larger view

Recording tab:
http://thumbnails37.imagebam.com/13244/f00ec7132438099.jpg](ImageBam)

Input tab:
http://thumbnails11.imagebam.com/13244/c6d905132438100.jpg](ImageBam)

What you select in ‘configuration’ and ‘input’ is important, for if you select the wrong thing it won’t record. You need to try different settings until you find the one that works for your hardware.

Also you can NOT leave the boost at 0 like you had before. That will effectively either mute the record, or make the recording levels FAR TOO LOW.

Note if you removed pulse audio, this of course will not work.

What boost ? Its right in the output of the script you ran. I showed it to you, highlighted in red.

I tried that in Alsa Mixer and tried turning other things on but now I have no sound! :frowning:

I found settings in YaST: http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h186/gymnart/nownosound.png
I still have no sound now. :frowning:
I went back into Alsa Mixer and tried turning things on/off mute/unmute but without any effect.

I don’t know what I did wrong. :frowning:

At the risk of telling you to close the barn door, after the horse is gone, ALWAYS before messing with your mixer, do a screen shot of the settings. All settings. its quick to do. Its easy to do. and you can then always go back to the previous settings.

You are now going to have to logically and carefully go about this (take notes as appropriate to track what you did and did not do) to restore your settings back properly.

this is the latest of /usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh:
http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=638ec5bc3ad112ac2ffcd789f83d4aa5f0b94103

What would need to be done now?
Should I uninstall/reinstall pulse or something?

Do you have your basic sound back ?

I note this in your mixer:

before when sound worked:

Simple mixer control 'Audigy Analog/Digital Output Jack',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined penum
  Playback channels: Mono

after when sound did not work:

Simple mixer control 'Audigy Analog/Digital Output Jack',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined penum
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback **[on]**

Do you see the difference ? Does that suggest anything to try ?

If worst comes to worst you can always remove the /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf file (do NOT put a backup file in that /etc/modprobe.d directory) and then go to YaST and reconfigure your sound.

But likely you simply applied a mixer setting and did not keep track of what you changed. I have to say that is NOT a good practise. Take NOTE of where you start and what you change.

Now when I run alsamixer -c 0
I get:
invalid card index: 0

Now in the kmix setting, it says “Dummy output”

When I looked in YaST, the card is still listed (It had been listed twice so I deleted the 2nd one – I deleted the 2nd listing one AFTER the sound problem occured)
For a while there, Alsa Mixer had my channels listed twice. When my sound worked, they were listed only once.

In Pulse Audio Volume control, now there’s nothing in the configuration tab, it is grayed out. Same thing with input devices.

Something weird has happened.

P.S. when I do hwinfo --sound, I get nothing - no info at all.

What does ‘now’ mean? “Now” after what?

You need to explain better what you did so that the expression ‘now’ means something to someone other than yourself.