Brightness is Locked to Maximum and display flickers while shutting down

Hi all,

I have a Macbook Pro 7.1 laptop running on Opensuse 11.4 KDE. I had issues with screen brightness from the time I upgraded my OS from 11.3 to 11.4 final release.
The issue was, screen brightness was maximum from the start-up until login-in. Soon after logging in, while loading KDE desktop, the brightness was getting decreased automatically to very low level. Changing the power profiles did not help. This issue was specific only to KDE not GNOME. Now, I have fixed that by adding NVIDIA repos and updating the related drivers and kernels.

Now, the screen brightness is maximum. The function keys to control the brightness do not work. The files in the /sys/class/backlight/* are erased after NVIDIA installation. Setting reduced brightness in power profiles does not change anything.

Another critical issue is while shutting down the system, the screen flickers hundreds of times quite fast and then shuts down. This issue was not there until I installed NVIDIA drivers. I do not think this is hardware problem…the laptop is new. I have no such issues when I use MAC from an external drive.

Any help in solving these issues will be appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance.