MakeFile problem

hello every one ,

i was developing a project in C that splitted into multi Source Code files rapidly

let us say that i have 5 source code files (sorted by dependence first depend on nothing):

str_length.c
str_compare.c
dic_length.c
word_look.c
main_code.c

now I’ve a Make-file to Compile/Link those files using the GNU C Compiler:

SRC = str_length.c str_compare.c dic_length.c word_look.c main_code.c
OBJ = str_length.o str_compare.o dic_length.o word_look.o main_code.o
PROG = /home/mostafa/build/dictionary.exe

$(PROG) : $(OBJ)
	gcc $(OBJ) -o $(PROG)

$(OBJ) : $(SRC)
	gcc $(SRC) -c -g

the MakeFile works greatly but the Problem is
if i edited any of the source code files and then recall make all of the source code files are recompiled …

now i really want that only the edited one get recompiled …??

The problem is that you state that OBJ depends on all the SRC. You have to write a generic rule that says a .o file depends on the corresponding .c file. Here’s one I use for processing LaTeX files. I’m sure you can make the appropriate change for your case.

%.dvi:  %.tex
        pslatex $<

If you don’t understand the use of $< for example, then this is encouragement to read the make docs.

well ,i’ve changed the makefile code to look like that :

SRC = str_length.c str_compare.c dic_length.c word_look.c main_code.c
OBJ = str_length.o str_compare.o dic_length.o word_look.o main_code.o
PROG = /home/mostafa/build/dictionary.exe

$(PROG) : $(OBJ)
	gcc $(OBJ) -o $(PROG)

**%.obj : %.c
	gcc -c -g $(SRC)** 

but it seems that make doesn’t use the correct compilation debug option ???

Object files end in .o on Linux/Unix. :slight_smile:

Object files end in .o on Linux/Unix.

i don’t know why you said that ???

any way ,i ment to say that i want to pass a debug option to the compiler -g

Can’t you see the typo in your rule? Second line from bottom.

And stop naming your executables .exe. Obviously you’re a Windows refugee. :slight_smile:

Can’t you see the typo in your rule? Second line from bottom.

no i really didn’t know .obj should be .o

I’ve one last question(i hope) :

what is the difference between

%.o : %.c

and

.c.o:

$< 

and

$*.c $*.o

Obviously you’re a Windows refugee.

well I’ve been a “visual studio slave” for some time and i really intend to break out to freedom

Then you didn’t understand the rule at all. The rule says, to make a .o from a .c, apply this command. Since there are no .obj files needed, your old rule was never needed, so GNU make applied a builtin one that didn’t use -g. When you fixed the rule, it overrode the builtin one and you got what you wanted.

%.c is an example of a pattern rule, while .c.o is an example of a suffix rule. GNU make supports both, but the suffix rules are older and regarded as obsolete because pattern rules are more versatile.

The documentation for GNU make can be accessed by info make, or you can read it online here: GNU `make’ There are other tutorials you can find on the Net, do a search for gnu make tutorial. Have fun.