Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wireless Card Not Working?

Default Wireless Card Not Working?

I'm completely new to openSUSE and when I installed it, my wireless card isn't apparently found. The light on the keyboard doesn't turn on signaling there is a wireless card. I'm not really sure what to do to fix this so any help would be great.

Also, I'm really new to linux so be advised that if your answer, however helpful it may be, isn't dumbed down, I will struggle with it.

Thanks!

I should have also said I'm using the KDE thing, not the GNOME.

Default Re: Wireless Card Not Working?

Welcome to openSuse

Open up a terminal and post the output of
    Code:
    lspci
    inside of a CODE tags. In the advanced reply on the forums there is a CODE button.

Also install rfkill in the command line
    Code:
    sudo zypper in rfkill
    and post the output of
    Code:
    rfkill list
    Vaio F11: i7-720QM 8GB RAM Nvidia GT 330m
    Win 7 Pro 64 bit | openSuse 11.4 64 bit | Arch Linux 64 bit

So now I can't get on the internet at all. In the lower right hand corner where there was an icon showing a wired connection, I right clicked on it and accidently disabled wired connections. I will do those terminal runs tomorrow but now I can't even get online with that computer. How do I also turn on wired connections again?

Got the wired working again. Will do the terminal codes and then post them.

lspci:
    Code:
    Absolute path to 'lspci' is '/sbin/lspci', so running it may require superuser privileges (eg. root).
    Installed refkill. That seemed to go without any problem.

rfkill list:
    Code:
    Absolute path to 'rfkill' is '/usr/sbin/rfkill', so running it may require superuser privileges (eg. root).

Tried it again when I found a terminal program that said it was the super user mode so here are the outputs again:

lspci:
    Code:
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/PM/GMS/910GML Express Processor to DRAM Controller (rev 03)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #1 (rev 03)
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #2 (rev 03)
    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #3 (rev 03)
    00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #4 (rev 03)
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 03)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev d3)
    00:1e.2 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 03)
    00:1e.3 Modem: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 03)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801FBM (ICH6M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 03)
    00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801FBM (ICH6M) SATA Controller (rev 03)
    03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX (rev 02)
    03:01.0 CardBus bridge: Ricoh Co Ltd RL5c476 II (rev b3)
    03:01.1 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C552 IEEE 1394 Controller (rev 08)
    03:01.2 SD Host controller: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter (rev 17)
    03:03.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2915ABG [Calexico2] Network Connection (rev 05)
    rfkill list:
    Code:
    0: phy0: Wireless LAN
            Soft blocked: no
            Hard blocked: no

Please read the stickies for this forum. I know you have not as one of the
    things stated there it NOT to use a subject like "Wireless Card Not Working"!

The information we needed is the PCI ID, which specifies the driver that is
    used. It comes from the lspci output as given by the command '/sbin/lspci -nn'.
    Note that as long as you give the full path, you don't need to use a
    root-privileged terminal. When a given command needs that privilege, we will
    tell you.

Fortunately, there is only one variant of the Intel ipw2915, and it uses the
    ipw2200 driver, which is included in openSUSE of all variants. I'm pretty sure
    that you need the firmware for the device. Incidentally, the stickies tell you
    how to check to see if firmware is missing. That firmware does not have a
    license that allows openSUSE to redistribute, thus you will have to go to
    http://ipw2200.sf.net/, download it, and (as root) copy it to /lb/firmware. Once
    you have done that, then do

Code:
    sudo /sbin/modprobe -rv ipw2200
    sudo /sbin/modprobe -v ipw2200
    Now you should see the device in the output of a '/usr/sbin/iwconfig' command,
    and see your AP listed with a 'sudo /usr/sbin/iwlist scan' command.

I have no idea what lwfinger wants me to do...what do I download and how do I get it where I'm suppose to?

On 05/12/2011 08:36 PM, djb6 wrote:
    >
    > I have no idea what lwfinger wants me to do...what do I download and how
    > do I get it where I'm suppose to?

Get the firmware from the URL I gave and copy it to /lib/firmware!!!

Is that too difficult for you?

I went to that link and all it takes me to is a bunch of different links that I don't really understand. I said I'm new at openSUSE. I don't know what I'm doing. Windows crashed out and this is an older laptop so I thought I'd give it a try.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast