OpenSuse Newbieeee!!!!!

Hello OPensuse World,

Just installed 11.4 love the the look and layout moving from ubuntu and windows vista ultimate…

Got everything installed ok BUTTT??? Got red x were network interfaces were at. Worked fine on the live cd run, but on the install its red x there?/?? Funny thing is i still have internet access.
What do i need to do to set this up right used to debian ways not rpm? Plus how to nvidia driver to work right says it is on but cant get my wobbly windows to work???..

IF anyone one can HELPPP!!! I would Greatly appreciate it…

Hi,

Welcome to openSUSE.

Ok, let’s check some things.

1. use YaST =>Network Devices => Network Settings. Under the “Global Options” tab, click on the “User Controlled with Network Manager” button.

2. Now you should see the NM applet. Click on it and check the popup. If the “Enable Wireless” checkbox is inactive (gray), there are several possibilities :

(a) Your wireless device driver is not loaded or (b) the necessary firmware is not available.

For (a), check

hwinfo --network

and check the “Driver” line. If it is blank, then you need to run the command

/sbin/lspci -nn

Post the results of these commands using the code tag please.

For (b), post the output of

dmesg | grep firmware

Thanks DaaX!!!

You did it Lets check my french Merci beaucou or something like that. im also a french canadian in the south!!!

can u help with the video driver question???
thks again for the help!!!

You’d normally have to install the Nvidia drivers, either from the repositories or the hard-way (which is not that hard). Have you already done anything like that? If not you must still be using Nouveau drivers, not Nvidia proprietary.

SDB:NVIDIA drivers - openSUSE
SDB:NVIDIA the hard way - openSUSE

ETA: Also, since you are new, have a look at:
Multi-media and Restricted Format Installation Guide
You’ll get multimedia right AND have the opportunity to take the package management for a ride. Be sure to follow the guide for 11.4 (post 4).

How did you guess it is a nvidia card he has ?

Anyway, jmoose12000, I strongly suggest you start a new thread to fix your video driver. Let’s close this one will you ? :slight_smile:

On a besoin de pratique du français M. Le Sudiste. :wink:

Merci beaucoup.

thks Lord_Emsworth,

Yea just using the drivers that can when i just installed it about an hour ago.
was reading something about the easy way and hard way, looks like hit the buton and it updates repos with the nvida driver then just reboot right???
got nvidia geforce fx1100 hd card installed on a agp slot winth pent 4 dual core running!!!

thks Lord_Emsworth,

Yea just using the drivers that can when i just installed it about an hour ago.
was reading something about the easy way and hard way, looks like hit the buton and it updates repos with the nvida driver then just reboot right???
got nvidia geforce fx1100 hd card installed on a agp slot winth pent 4 dual core running!!!

I didn’t guess. I read the OP. :stuck_out_tongue:

THks will end now got to truck it up tonight be back this weekend thks guys for the help the linux world is great .