Thread: Name Resolution on multi-homed networks using dnsmasq?

Default Name Resolution on multi-homed networks using dnsmasq?

Hi,

I have a DNS server (dnsmasq v2.55) at the center of three subnets: x.y.1.0/24, x.y.2.0/24 & x.y.3.0/24.

dnsmasq does a grand job of issuing a suitable DNS server address with the DHCP option 6.
    So, machines on subnet x.y.3.0/24 are told that the DNS server is x.y.3.2,
    machines on subnet x.y.2.0/24 are told that the DNS server is x.y.2.2 and
    machines on subnet x.y.1.0/24 are told that the DNS server is at x.y.1.2.
    Even though the DNS server is the same box (although with three nics).

Now the question is:
    How do I make dnsmasq respond similarly to name resolution requests? So that when:
    Machines from x.y.3.0/24, ping <name of DNS server> dnsmasq returns x.y.3.2,
    Machines from x.y.2.0/24, ping <name of DNS server> dnsmasq returns x.y.2.2, and
    Machines from x.y.1.0/24, ping <name of DNS server> dnsmasq returns x.y.1.2.

Currently, the DNS server returns the IP address that is assigned in /etc/host.
    Which, of course can be changed, but via that mechanism, will always be wrong two out of three cases.

Regards, Martin

Blog Entries

Default Re: Name Resolution on multi-homed networks using dnsmasq?

What you are asking for is called split horizon and AFAIK, it is not supported by dnsmasq.

Comparison of DNS server software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You could run 3 instances of dnsmasq. I assume each can be told to bind to only one IP address.

Quote Originally Posted by ken_yap View Post
    What you are asking for is called split horizon and AFAIK, it is not supported by dnsmasq.
    Thank you Ken,

I feared as much. Any thoughts of dealing with it at the client end? If I know that the DNS server IP (as provided by DHCP) is the IP address for the DNS Server hostname.

You could run 3 instances of dnsmasq. I assume each can be told to bind to only one IP address.
    Sounds messy....

Regards,

Blog Entries

You could give different domain names to the three IP addresses that dnsmasq presents.

Quote Originally Posted by ken_yap View Post
    You could give different domain names to the three IP addresses that dnsmasq presents.
    Hi Ken,

Thank you. Yes, I did try that for a while. What I found though, was that it was causing me confusion in scripts. Nothing major, but again - messy!

What I am currently doing is getting dnsmasq to send all three IP addresses and leaving it up to the client to sort it out. So far the best I have been able to come up with.

Regards, and once again thank-you, Martin