Thread: Media Player for openSuSE 11.4 - VLC hands down. (Vidoe LAN Client)

Default Media Player for openSuSE 11.4 - VLC hands down. (Vidoe LAN Client)

I like many have fought for years to get videos playing, easily.
    I've had them all, MPlayer, SMPlayer, KMPlayer, xine, kaffeine, etc...
    One will play the video, but not the audio and another will play the audio and not the video..
    Most will do nothing at all... MPlayer was the best for years, 8 years I think I've been using it. but in the last couple of years... yuck.

I found some post here, at opensuse, but can not find it again, that led me to VLC...
    The link, I believe, led me to sourceforge and after searching PacMan and openSuSE, blah, blah.
    In Yahoo I found this VLC media player wiki.
    I was able in openSuSE 11.4 YaST2 to search (including descriptions) to find and install it. (I think you have to have pacman configured as a repository, but not sure, I always use pacman and what I saw leads me to believe that this is a pacman package).
    Anyways, the main installation was easy enough, but I did not have a GUI (frontend) so I looked some more. this may be where I searched descriptions also.
    Well without the GUI, you can play .mov and .avi files via the mozilla plugin by opening the file via mozilla's (firefox) File> Open command, you just don't have any controls.

However, there is a frontend for it and as soon as my other system comes back up (for some reason it, for the first time ever, is not letting me launch Yast2. I'm hoping I installed some update that required a restart,, hope..

so as soon as I'm able, I'll edit and tell what the frontend is, was.. I needed to get this down while thinking about it... Got to go..

Спасибо (thanks) to the authors... VLC Rocks, now that I've found the QT GUI..
    Landis.

offical site
    wikipedia.org

Default Re: Media Player for openSuSE 11.4 - VLC hands down. (Vidoe LAN Client)

I couldn't edit.. thank God I sel-all copy before i tried to 'save' because it would have all been lost AGAIN... I hate that.

so... here it is again, with the additions that would have been lost.

I like many have fought for years to get avi, mpeg, rm-v, wmv and mov videos playing, easily (with sound all at the same time).
    I've had them all, MPlayer, SMPlayer, KMPlayer, xine, kaffeine, etc...
    One will play the video, but not the audio and another will play the audio and not the video..
    Most will do nothing at all... MPlayer was the best for years, 8 years I think I've been using it. but in the last couple of years... yuck.

I found some post here, at opensuse, but can not find it again, that led me to VLC...
    The link, I believe, led me to sourceforge and after searching PacMan and openSuSE, blah, blah.
    In Yahoo I found this VLC media player wiki.
    I was able in openSuSE 11.4 YaST2 to search (including descriptions) to find and install it. (I think you have to have pacman configured as a repository, but not sure, I always use pacman and what I saw leads me to believe that this is a pacman package).
    Anyways, the main installation was easy enough, but I did not have a GUI (frontend) so I looked some more. this may be where I searched descriptions also.
    Well without the GUI, you can play .mov and .avi files via the mozilla plugin by opening the file via mozilla's (firefox) File> Open command, you just don't have any controls.

However, there is a frontend for it and as soon as my other system comes back up (for some reason it, for the first time ever, is not letting me launch Yast2. I'm hoping I installed some update that required a restart,, hope..

so as soon as I'm able, I'll edit and tell what the frontend is, was.. I needed to get this down while thinking about it... Got to go..

well my system came up fine, must have been an update... anyways, i looked and nothing looks familiar, But,, I'm pretty sure it's the VLC-QT frontend I need.
    see, that's why i should write down info right away, like i did here.. i have too much rattling around upstairs to remember what i was doing.

Спасибо (thanks) to the authors... VLC Rocks, now that I've found the QT GUI..
    Landis.

offical site
    wikipedia.org