Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Is there an archive method that preserves the same information as rsync -a?

  1. #1

    Default Is there an archive method that preserves the same information as rsync -a?

    Right now I use "rsync -a" to sync my zimbra directory with another directory as a backup. I'd like to archive that backup (zip....rar....etc etc) in such a way that it preserves the same information as rsync -a would (symlinks, permissions.... Etc etc). Does anyone know of such an archive method? My goal is to have it so that if I uncompress the file, the result should match exactly what my zimbra was at the time of backup.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    UTC+10
    Posts
    9,686
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Is there an archive method that preserves the same information as rsync -a?

    Have you looked at tar?

  3. #3

    Default Re: Is there an archive method that preserves the same informationas rsync -a?

    abacabb wrote:
    > Right now I use "rsync -a" to sync my zimbra directory with another
    > directory as a backup. I'd like to archive that backup
    > (zip....rar....etc etc) in such a way that it preserves the same
    > information as rsync -a would (symlinks, permissions.... Etc etc). Does
    > anyone know of such an archive method? My goal is to have it so that if
    > I uncompress the file, the result should match exactly what my zimbra
    > was at the time of backup.


    Excuse me asking the obvious, but if you want the effect of rsync -a,
    why not use rsync with the -a option?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Is there an archive method that preserves the same informationas rsync -a?

    On 2011-05-11 14:50, Dave Howorth wrote:

    > Excuse me asking the obvious, but if you want the effect of rsync -a,
    > why not use rsync with the -a option?


    A single file has advantages. Me, I would like a compressed rsync.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)

  5. #5

    Default Re: Is there an archive method that preserves the same informationas rsync -a?

    Carlos E. R. wrote:
    > On 2011-05-11 14:50, Dave Howorth wrote:
    >
    >> Excuse me asking the obvious, but if you want the effect of rsync -a,
    >> why not use rsync with the -a option?

    >
    > A single file has advantages.


    Ah, true. I missed that bit.

    > Me, I would like a compressed rsync.


    Use a compressed filesystem?

  6. #6

    Default Re: Is there an archive method that preserves the same informationas rsync -a?

    Quote Originally Posted by djh-novell View Post
    Carlos E. R. wrote:
    > On 2011-05-11 14:50, Dave Howorth wrote:
    >
    >> Excuse me asking the obvious, but if you want the effect of rsync -a,
    >> why not use rsync with the -a option?

    >
    > A single file has advantages.


    Ah, true. I missed that bit.

    > Me, I would like a compressed rsync.


    Use a compressed filesystem?
    Single files are way better to manage. And using a compressed file system does not solve the single file issue for me. An RSYNCed directory on a compressed file system is still many files..........and not one.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Is there an archive method that preserves the same informationas rsync -a?

    On 2011-05-11 15:48, Dave Howorth wrote:
    > Carlos E. R. wrote:



    >> Me, I would like a compressed rsync.

    >
    > Use a compressed filesystem?


    Which does not exist for linux.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •