Why is mysqld running?

I noticed that mysqld is always running, and I don’t know why. Enabled is set to “no” for mysqld in the system services in yast. I don’t recall ever doing anything that would run it. I don’t know how to disable from booting and I don’t want to kill the process every time I start up. What else would be starting this process? Where can I look to find what is launching it in startup scripts?

mysql (at least a striped down version) is used in the new KDE search /index program. You running KDE?

mysql is (like it or hate it) part of KDEPIM, especially akonadi and the already mentioned search engine. If you are willing to risk breaking KDE, you can try turning it off or switching to a different server type - there is an “Akonadi Configuration” application (search in the KDE menu). I would not recommend messing with Akonadi - it’s a little buggy.

If you are using anything that requires akonadi, then you need mysqld.

As far as I can tell, I am not using anything that requires akonadi. But akonadi starts anyway. So I edited “/home/rickert/.config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc” and changed the “StartServer” setting to “false”. As a result, mysqld is no longer starting, and akonadi is going away after noticing that mysqld is not running. I have not seen any bad effects. But then, as I said, I am not using anything that needs it (I am not using kmail or its calendar function).

On 2011-05-11 02:06, sp3wn wrote:
>
> I noticed that mysqld is always running, and I don’t know why. Enabled
> is set to “no” for mysqld in the system services in yast. I don’t recall
> ever doing anything that would run it. I don’t know how to disable from
> booting and I don’t want to kill the process every time I start up.
> What else would be starting this process? Where can I look to find what
> is launching it in startup scripts?

I suggest you find out what databases are stored inside :slight_smile:

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” at Telcontar)

I don’t know why I never replied to this, but IIRC it was because Akonadi is running with KDE. I don’t remember exactly what Akonadi is; I’m sure it’s easy to look up.