Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: only wired internet works, no wireless and mobile

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    EU
    Posts
    32

    Default only wired internet works, no wireless and mobile

    opensuse 10.4 KDE
    wired internet works but the network manager is dead, there’s a red network icon with a cross in the panel and opening the manage connections window only the VPN tab works all others are grayed out cant setup any wireless or mobile broadband connection.
    on the live cd there was no problem with network management.
    any fix?
    thanks

  2. #2

    Default Re: only wired internet works, no wireless and mobile

    1) In YaST, what is controlling your network? Go to YaST -> Network Settings
    2) Can you run hardware info from YaST, what modues are loaded next to Wireless Lan?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    EU
    Posts
    32

    Default Re: only wired internet works, no wireless and mobile

    Quote Originally Posted by StephenS1949 View Post
    1) In YaST, what is controlling your network? Go to YaST -> Network Settings
    2) Can you run hardware info from YaST, what modues are loaded next to Wireless Lan?
    hi,
    I cant see any network settings in yast, I can see devices and hardware information but nothing about what is controlling the network anywhere maybe I’m not looking in the right place.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    EU
    Posts
    32

    Default Re: only wired internet works, no wireless and mobile

    I think the problem is due to network manager permissions, I tried to change network permissions to any user but it wont allow it, is there any way to run opensuse as root just to see if network management works?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Montreal, Québec
    Posts
    833

    Default Re : Re: only wired internet works, no wireless and mobile

    Quote Originally Posted by gandaran View Post
    hi,
    I cant see any network settings in yast, I can see devices and hardware information but nothing about what is controlling the network anywhere maybe I€™m not looking in the right place.
    You didn't look at the right place : yast->Network Devices->Network card

    Can you give us this info in terminal :

    Code:
    hwinfo --network
    and

    Code:
    dmesg | grep firmware

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    EU
    Posts
    32

    Default Re: Re : Re: only wired internet works, no wireless and mobile

    okay, I got the problem fixed, it was really simple but why is this happening?
    the fix was to change in network settings to network manager user control instead of ifup

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Montreal, Québec
    Posts
    833

    Default Re : Re: Re : Re: only wired internet works, no wireless and mobile

    Quote Originally Posted by gandaran View Post
    okay, I got the problem fixed, it was really simple but why is this happening?
    the fix was to change in network settings to network manager user control instead of ifup
    That's what StephenS1949 pointed to you earlier!!!

    Glad it's fixed.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •