Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: libreoffice am I missing something here?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    here
    Posts
    180

    Default libreoffice am I missing something here?

    Hi lads,

    I am just new to the opensuse and discovered that the LibreOffice behaves strange on my system,
    when I copy paste from other documents the text is mess, when I open my documents written in OpenOffice and try edit them I get hard times to do that because the text is mess again.
    I have opensuse installed since Sunday and didnt really adjusted it fully but that thing with libreoffice

    Any suggestions lads, did anyone had similar problem like I do?
    Just to mention that I do all updates whenever they are available. . . .

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,376

    Default Re: libreoffice am I missing something here?

    What do you mean when you say it's a "mess?" What does it look like? A screen shot might be helpful. Also, what kind of documents are you copying from, and what's the target?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Southern Europe
    Posts
    352

    Default Re: libreoffice am I missing something here?

    Quote Originally Posted by chief_sealth View Post
    What do you mean when you say it's a "mess?" What does it look like? A screen shot might be helpful. Also, what kind of documents are you copying from, and what's the target?
    And appart from what chief_sealth asks, what version of opensuse are you running? What repos have you enabled?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: libreoffice am I missing something here?

    On 05/09/2011 08:06 PM, loand wrote:
    >
    > when I copy paste from other documents the text is mess


    describe what you mean with "the text is mess"...or take a screen shot
    and post that to (say) http://www.imagebam.com/ and put the url in this
    thread..

    i ask, because you OpenOffice was upgraded to LibreOffice and it seems
    to work perfectly (if a little slow to initially render)...so, maybe
    your problems are with a graphic driver (you also say you have only had
    openSUSE installed _one_ day, right?

    any other strangeness on the screen?

    what is your experience with openSUSE (or any distro with a very recent
    kernel?)..


    --
    CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
    [openSUSE11.3 + KDE4.5.5 + Firefox3.6.17 + Thunderbird3.1.10 via NNTP]
    HACK Everything -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5b4CCe9pS8&NR=1

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    here
    Posts
    180

    Default Re: libreoffice am I missing something here?

    hey lads,

    I dont have an access to my laptop at that moment so no screen-shots, opensuse 11.4 kde, reps?basicly haven’t installed anything new since yesterday really. Target documents are .doc and rtf and I copying from web or pdf...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,376

    Default Re: libreoffice am I missing something here?

    Web documents typically use style sheets for formatting, and this won't carry over in a "cut and paste." Similar for PDFs. Try using Gimp to copy the PDF as an image instead of text.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: libreoffice am I missing something here?

    On 05/09/2011 09:06 PM, loand wrote:
    >
    > hey lads,


    just how old are you, gramps? :-)
    or, do you have reason to assume the superior position here? :-(


    > Target documents are .doc and rtf and I copying
    > from web or pdf...


    when you copy from a source and then paste into your LibreOffice, it
    will _include_ the with identifiable font style, size and decoration
    exactly as in the source..

    is that what you are describing as a "mess"? if so i guess there is a
    user changeable option to amend that behavior..

    --
    CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
    [openSUSE11.3 + KDE4.5.5 + Firefox3.6.17 + Thunderbird3.1.10 via NNTP]
    HACK Everything -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5b4CCe9pS8&NR=1

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    here
    Posts
    180

    Default Re: libreoffice am I missing something here?

    Quote Originally Posted by DenverD View Post
    On 05/09/2011 09:06 PM, loand wrote:
    >
    > hey lads,


    just how old are you, gramps? :-)
    or, do you have reason to assume the superior position here? :-(
    do you feel offended when I wrote "lads"
    did you lookup in dictionary what does it mean? because we I used to say that way to my friends or "fellows" and hear that everyday, everywhere,
    If you feel offended, sorry DenverD



    Quote Originally Posted by DenverD View Post
    is that what you are describing as a "mess"? if so i guess there is a
    user changeable option to amend that behavior..
    documet .doc or rtf I open with libreoffice is a mess because its contents is all over the page, and I can not do much about it move it, relocate it ,or adjust it. Copying between .doc and .rtf files made previously on OpenOffice without any fancy fonts....

    ...amend that behaviour ? what do you mean DenverD?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: libreoffice am I missing something here?

    On 05/10/2011 12:06 AM, loand wrote:
    >
    > do you feel offended when I wrote "lads"


    more like a little surprised to be called 'lad', by an unseen stranger..


    > did you lookup in dictionary what does it mean?


    among other meanings, from <http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?s=lad>:

    "A young man; a youth."
    "A male child (a familiar term of address to a boy)"
    "A lively (young) man, esp. a highly sexed one"



    > because we I used to
    > say that way to my friends or "fellows" and hear that everyday,
    > everywhere,


    of course, you don't live "everywhere"...and, where i come from a lad is
    a male *child*...which caused me to ask just how old you are..


    > If you feel offended, sorry DenverD


    no problem, words in one country said by children are offensive in other
    countries...again, i was not as offended as i was wondering just how old
    you are, to call all the others here 'lads' (or even "fellows".....i
    also wondered how, with just a few days among us, you knew there were no
    non-fellow here...or maybe in your country 'lads' is also a correct
    title for girls too..)

    >
    > documet .doc or rtf I open with libreoffice is a mess because
    > its
    > contents is all over the page, and I can not do much about it move it,
    > relocate it ,or adjust it. Copying between .doc and .rtf files made
    > previously on OpenOffice without any fancy fonts....


    seems i also misunderstood your problem: i _thought_ the problem was
    when text copied from other documents on the web or local was pasted
    into a LO doc.

    now i understand that most (or all) documents opened in LO have some
    sort of problem..

    > ..amend that behaviour ? what do you mean DenverD?


    i was working on the theory that if you could _change the settings_ so
    that only text would be pasted (rather than text plus style, size, etc)
    the problem would be solved..

    now however, since i can't reproduce your problem here (running my
    software)...and, so far i've seen no other reports like yours...i can
    only conclude that the problem you see is local only...that is, your
    system is somehow damaged or running a conflicted copy of libre
    office......of course, no one here actually knows if you are running the
    Libre Office offered in the openSUSE 11.4 repos or some other..

    why not tell us which you have installed and on which version of KDE4
    you are running...then, maybe someone might spot a needed upgrade/update
    that will fix you right up..

    --
    CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
    [openSUSE11.3 + KDE4.5.5 + Firefox3.6.17 + Thunderbird3.1.10 via NNTP]
    HACK Everything -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5b4CCe9pS8&NR=1

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    here
    Posts
    180

    Default Re: libreoffice am I missing something here?

    Quote Originally Posted by DenverD View Post
    On 05/10/2011 12:06 AM, loand wrote:[color=blue]

    among other meanings, from <http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?s=lad>:

    "A young man; a youth."
    "A male child (a familiar term of address to a boy)"
    "A lively (young) man, esp. a highly sexed one"
    yes thats exactly what I mean, you checked in dictionary what does it mean and having problems with it and you are only one, in english spoken language it's just a way to call friends, both males and females, even saying boy to someone else is not offended, well maybe some small boys can be offended. only they know and talk about it...

    any way thanks for your chat, good talking to you , problem is solved


    > because we I used to
    > say that way to my friends or "fellows" and hear that everyday,
    > everywhere,


    of course, you don't live "everywhere"...and, where i come from a lad is
    a male *child*...which caused me to ask just how old you are..

    why not tell us which you have installed and on which version of KDE4
    you are running...then, maybe someone might spot a needed upgrade/update
    that will fix you right up..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •