Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: KDE won't start anymore

Default KDE won't start anymore

Hi all,

since about a week I got a serious Problem on my Multimedia Homeserver. It firstly happened after doing normal updates with 'zypper dup'. Starting the Machine xdm starts up normally, but after logging in KDE (4.6.0, OpenSUSE 11.4 64Bit) shows its progress bar and finally ends up hanging at about 80% completion. Repos are the original distro repos (except nvidia, packman and VLC Repos) for stability reasons - this means no KDE-factory or Tumbleweed repo is activated here. Icewm starts fine so I can use Xine but I'd like to get KDE back running again for using amarok and others.

Here is what I tried so far:

tried another user - same result
    tried root-user - same result
    renamed ~/.kde4 - same result
    created a completely new user with a $HOME from scratch - same result
    uninstalled nvidia-driver (270.41.06, card is a Geforce 7300SE) from nvidia repo and installed this version 'the hard way' back again - same result
    removed /etc/X11/xorg.conf and let nvidia setup create a new one - same result

googling helped nothing so far as solutions found there mostly lead to start with a new ~/.kde4 to solve a not starting kde or lead to problems caused by mixing up kde install files from incompatible repos which is not the case here.

If any logs are needed, I'll post them here later.

Is there any way to remove KDE completely (something like apt-get purge) and reinstall it back again which may solve my problem as I believe that there may be some global configs screwed up for whatever reason - after two days fumbling without any progress.

Thanks in andvance

phimeas
    Last edited by phimeas; 09-May-2011 at 01:41. Reason: completion

Default Re: KDE won't start anymore

On 05/09/2011 11:06 AM, phimeas wrote:
    >
    > It firstly happened after doing normal updates with 'zypper dup'.

where did you read to do "normal updates" with "zypper dup"??

zypper dup is for doing distribution upgrades, which is not anything
    near a normal update. (not even the same "u" word)

i think you have probably murdered your system...and, the easiest way to
    bring it back to life is to restore from backup..

--
    CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
    [openSUSE11.3 + KDE4.5.5 + Firefox3.6.17 + Thunderbird3.1.10 via NNTP]
    HACK Everything -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5b4CCe9pS8&NR=1

Thanks for your answer, DenverD!

where did you read to do "normal updates" with "zypper dup"??

zypper dup is for doing distribution upgrades, which is not anything
    near a normal update. (not even the same "u" word)
    Not really without configuring your repos to use a new version before, I think - so this makes no difference to 'zypper up'. Never has been a problem before nor is one on any of my other machines. Don't know if 'dup' even must be used to install updates that require a System reboot (e.g. kernel updates) as it is mandatory with apt-get on debian-distros.

It would be no Problem to do a new OS 11.4 install and copy my configs back - what I will do, if I can't find no other solution - rather than restore an old backup and do the upgrade to 11.4 again (which was not the cause for KDE to fail). It would be just more time consuming. So I asked here before.

Think you're right to rather use 'zypper up' than 'zypper dup' for minor updates and I'll do this in future but I don't think that this difference really caused the trouble.

Any other suggestions? Complete deletion and reinstall of KDE4 could solve it I think - but I have no clue how to purge it without travelling into RPM-dependency-hell.

Thanks again

phimeas

It all depends on what repos you have active how bad you mangled the system. VLC repo is not recommended you need to get that stuff from packman, but I doubt if that is your problem since that should only effect multimedia. Sure you don't have factory in there somewhere? Let's see zypper lr -d

Thanks, gogalthorp!

Here's the output you requested...
    Code:
    # | Alias                 | Name                  | Aktiviert | Aktualisieren | Priorität | Typ    | URI                                                             | Dienst
    --+-----------------------+-----------------------+-----------+---------------+-----------+--------+-----------------------------------------------------------------+-------
    1 | NVIDIA_Repository_1   | NVIDIA Repository     | Ja        | Ja            |   99      | rpm-md | ftp://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/11.4/                        |       
    2 | Packman_Repository    | Packman Repository    | Ja        | Ja            |   99      | rpm-md | http://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/pub/mirrors/packman/suse/11.4        |       
    3 | VideoLan_Repository   | VideoLan Repository   | Ja        | Ja            |   99      | rpm-md | http://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/SuSE/11.4/        |       
    4 | openSUSE-11.3-Debug_1 | openSUSE-11.4-Debug   | Nein      | Ja            |   99      | yast2  | http://download.opensuse.org/debug/distribution/11.4/repo/oss/  |       
    5 | openSUSE-11.4-Non-Oss | openSUSE-11.4-Non-Oss | Ja        | Ja            |   99      | yast2  | http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/11.4/repo/non-oss/    |       
    6 | openSUSE-11.4-Oss     | openSUSE-11.4-Oss     | Ja        | Ja            |   99      | yast2  | http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/11.4/repo/oss/        |       
    7 | openSUSE-11.4-Source  | openSUSE-11.4-Source  | Nein      | Ja            |   99      | yast2  | http://download.opensuse.org/source/distribution/11.4/repo/oss/ |       
    8 | openSUSE-11.4-Update  | openSUSE-11.4-Update  | Ja        | Ja            |   99      | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/update/11.4/                       |
    As you can see, there's no factory repo in there (enough experiences with that to NOT use it on 'production' systems [well this one is more for home DVBS video recording, but one can imagine that this one should simply work]). Maybe a priority issue because they all have 99?

cheers

phimeas
    Last edited by phimeas; 10-May-2011 at 03:47. Reason: completion

Default Απ: Re: KDE won't start anymore

It is impossible to see in Alias this repo
    openSUSE-11.3-Debug_1
    And in Name
    openSUSE-11.4-Debug

Erase the 3 repo
    Code:
    su
    Code:
    # zypper removerepo 3
    It is not the solution but a very small fixing.
    Πάντα Φιλικά, Στάμος.
    Desktop: openSUSE Leap 15.3||x86_64||Gnome 3.14 & KDE 5||AMD Ryzen 7 8 core||Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti Gaming Edition
    Γλώσσες Προγραμματισμού: C++, Qt developing.
    http://bit.ly/fT8Hfi

Default Re: Απ: Re: KDE won't start anymore

Also you should not have both videolan and packman. Get the multi media from packman. Thy have same packages but may be at different version mixing can cause multimedia problems. But that should not cause KDE not to run.

@stamostolias

ok, removed the repo. But as you can see it was deactivated before - so this is a pure cosmetic action...

@gogalthorp
    also removed vlc repo...

Thanks for the hints. But this doesn't solve the issue and it ran for several years before. I now post my ~/.xsession-errors. Is it usual that akonadi requires a mysql-db (I myself configured none - mysql is running but there is no dedicated db for akonadi...

Code:
    /etc/X11/xim: Checking whether an input method should be started.
    sourcing /etc/sysconfig/language to get the value of INPUT_METHOD
    INPUT_METHOD is not set or empty (no user selected input method).
    Trying to start a default input method for the locale de_DE.UTF-8 ...
    There is no default input method for the current locale.
    Dummy input method "none" (do not use any fancy input method by default)
    startkde: Starting up...
    Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
    kbuildsycoca4 running...
    kded(3359) synaptiks::Touchpad::findTouchpad: device properties unsupported 
    QDBusObjectPath: invalid path ""
    X Error: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation) 2
      Major opcode: 102 (X_ChangeKeyboardControl)
      Resource id:  0xffffffe0
    Fetched layout groups from X server:    layouts: ("de")         variants: ("nodeadkeys") 
    No outputs have backlight property
    QDBusConnection: name 'org.kde.kglobalaccel' had owner '' but we thought it was ':1.8'
    QObject::connect: Cannot connect (null)::deviceCreated(Device*) to Monolithic::deviceCreated(Device*)
    OpenGL vendor string:                   NVIDIA Corporation
    OpenGL renderer string:                 GeForce 7300 SE/7200 GS/PCI/SSE2
    OpenGL version string:                  2.1.2 NVIDIA 270.41.06
    OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20 NVIDIA via Cg compiler
    Driver:                                 NVIDIA
    Driver version:                         270.41.6
    GPU class:                              NV40/G70
    OpenGL version:                         2.1.2
    GLSL version:                           1.20
    X server version:                       1.9.3
    Linux kernel version:                   2.6.37
    Direct rendering:                       yes
    Requires strict binding:                no
    GLSL shaders:                           limited
    Texture NPOT support:                   yes
    kded(3359) PowerDevilUPowerBackend::brightness: org.kde.powerdevil.backlighthelper.brightness failed 
    Object::connect: No such signal QDBusAbstractInterface::Changed()
    Invalid D-BUS member name 'idle-hint' found in interface 'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Session' while parsing introspection
    Invalid D-BUS member name 'is-local' found in interface 'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Session' while parsing introspection
    Invalid D-BUS member name 'x11-display-device' found in interface 'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Session' while parsing introspection
    Invalid D-BUS member name 'x11-display' found in interface 'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Session' while parsing introspection
    (...)
    'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Session' while parsing introspection
    klauncher(3357) KConfigGroup::readXdgListEntry: List entry OnlyShowIn in "/etc/xdg/autostart/ksmolt-autostart.desktop" is not compliant with XDG standard (missing trailing semicolon). 
    top(3476)/libplasma Plasma::FrameSvg::resizeFrame: Invalid size QSizeF(0, 0) 
    plasma-desktop(3476)/libplasma Plasma::FrameSvg::resizeFrame: Invalid size QSizeF(0, 0) 
    Object::connect: No such signal KWindowSystem::windowChanged(WId,unsigned long*)
    plasma-desktop(3476)/libplasma Plasma::FrameSvg::resizeFrame: Invalid size QSizeF(-5, -3) 
    link XMLID_34_ hasn't been detected!
    plasma-desktop(3476)/kdecore (services) KServicePrivate::init: The desktop entry file  "/usr/share/kde4/services/sysinfo.protocol"  has Type= "Application"  but no Exec line 

Object::connect: No such signal QDBusAbstractInterface::Changed()
    Object::connect: No such signal QDBusAbstractInterface::StateChanged(uint)
    Object::connect: No such slot AbstractItemView::iconSettingsChanged()
    "/usr/bin/kactivitymanagerd(3467)" Soprano: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown - The name org.kde.nepomuk.services.nepomukstorage was not provided by any .service files"
    "/usr/bin/kactivitymanagerd(3467)" Soprano: "QLocalSocket::connectToServer: Connection refused"
    "/usr/bin/kactivitymanagerd(3467)" Soprano: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown - The name org.kde.nepomuk.services.nepomukstorage was not provided by any .service files"
    "/usr/bin/kactivitymanagerd(3467)" Soprano: "QLocalSocket::connectToServer: Connection refused"
    Invalid D-BUS interface name 'org.kde.plasma-desktop.PlasmaApp' found while parsing introspection
    New PolkitAgentListener  0x640900 
    Adding new listener  PolkitQt1::Agent::Listener(0x6f4eb0) for  0x640900 
    (knotify4:3472): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_debug_add_log_function: assertion `func != NULL' failed
    plasma-desktop(3476)/plasma StatusNotifierItemSource::refreshCallback: DBusMenu disabled for this application 
    kded(3359)/kmix sink_input_cb: Ignoring sink-input due to it being designated as an event and thus handled by the Event slider 
    krunner(3497)/libakonadi Akonadi::AgentManagerPrivate::createDBusInterface: AgentManager failed to get a valid AgentManager DBus interface. Error is: 1 "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner" "Could not get owner of name 'org.freedesktop.Akonadi.Control': no such name" 
    Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
    krunner(3497)/libakonadi Akonadi::SessionPrivate::socketError: Socket error occurred: "QLocalSocket::connectToServer: Invalid name" 
    search paths:  ("/home/chris/bin", "/usr/local/bin", "/usr/bin", "/bin", "/usr/bin/X11", "/usr/X11R6/bin", "/usr/games", "/usr/lib64/jvm/jre/bin", "/usr/sbin", "/usr/local/sbin", "/usr/local/libexec", "/usr/libexec", "/opt/mysql/libexec", "/opt/local/lib/mysql5/bin", "/opt/mysql/sbin") 
    Found mysql_install_db:  "/usr/bin/mysql_install_db" 
    Found mysqlcheck:  "/usr/bin/mysqlcheck" 
    QSqlDatabasePrivate::removeDatabase: connection 'qt_sql_default_connection' is still in use, all queries will cease to work.
    QSqlDatabasePrivate::addDatabase: duplicate connection name 'qt_sql_default_connection', old connection removed.
    I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/usr/share/qalculate/prefixes.xml"
    I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/usr/share/qalculate/currencies.xml"
    I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/usr/share/qalculate/units.xml"
    I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/usr/share/qalculate/functions.xml"
    I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/usr/share/qalculate/datasets.xml"
    I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/usr/share/qalculate/variables.xml"
    I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/usr/share/qalculate/currencies.xml"
    I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/home/chris/.qalculate/eurofxref-daily.xml"
    I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/home/chris/.qalculate/eurofxref-daily.xml"
    krunner(3497)/libplasma Plasma::Package::isValid: Could not find required file mainscript 
    akonadi.collectionattributetable                   OK
    akonadi.collectionmimetyperelation                 OK
    akonadi.collectionpimitemrelation                  OK
    akonadi.collectiontable                            OK
    akonadi.flagtable                                  OK
    akonadi.mimetypetable                              OK
    akonadi.parttable                                  OK
    akonadi.pimitemflagrelation                        OK
    akonadi.pimitemtable                               OK
    akonadi.resourcetable                              OK
    akonadi.schemaversiontable                         OK
    mysql.columns_priv                                 OK
    mysql.db                                           OK
    mysql.event                                        OK
    mysql.func                                         OK
    mysql.general_log
    Error    : You can't use locks with log tables.
    status   : OK
    mysql.help_category                                OK
    mysql.help_keyword                                 OK
    mysql.help_relation                                OK
    mysql.help_topic                                   OK
    mysql.host                                         OK
    mysql.ndb_binlog_index                             OK
    mysql.plugin                                       OK
    mysql.proc                                         OK
    mysql.procs_priv                                   OK
    mysql.servers                                      OK
    mysql.slow_log
    Error    : You can't use locks with log tables.
    status   : OK
    mysql.tables_priv                                  OK
    mysql.time_zone                                    OK
    mysql.time_zone_leap_second                        OK
    mysql.time_zone_name                               OK
    mysql.time_zone_transition                         OK
    mysql.time_zone_transition_type                    OK
    mysql.user                                         OK
    Database "akonadi" opened using driver "QMYSQL" 
    DbInitializer::run() 
    checking table  "SchemaVersionTable" 
    checking table  "ResourceTable" 
    checking table  "CollectionTable" 
    checking table  "MimeTypeTable" 
    checking table  "PimItemTable" 
    checking table  "FlagTable" 
    checking table  "PartTable" 
    checking table  "CollectionAttributeTable" 
    checking relation  "PimItemFlagRelation" 
    checking relation  "CollectionMimeTypeRelation" 
    checking relation  "CollectionPimItemRelation" 
    DbInitializer::run() done 
    Nepomuk Query Server not available 
    DataStore::unhideAllPimItems() 
    PLUGINS:  "/usr/share/akonadi/agents" 
    PLUGINS:  ("birthdaysresource.desktop", "contactsresource.desktop", "icalresource.desktop", "imapresource.desktop", "kabcresource.desktop", "kcalresource.desktop", "kolabproxyresource.desktop", "localbookmarksresource.desktop", "maildirresource.desktop", "maildispatcheragent.desktop", "mboxresource.desktop", "microblog.desktop", "mtdummyresource.desktop", "nepomukcalendarfeeder.desktop", "nepomukcontactfeeder.desktop", "nepomuktagresource.desktop", "nntpresource.desktop", "notesresource.desktop", "pop3resource.desktop", "vcarddirresource.desktop", "vcardresource.desktop") 
    search paths:  ("/home/chris/bin", "/usr/local/bin", "/usr/bin", "/bin", "/usr/bin/X11", "/usr/X11R6/bin", "/usr/games", "/usr/lib64/jvm/jre/bin") 
    PLUGINS inserting:  "akonadi_birthdays_resource" 0 ("Resource") 
    PLUGINS inserting:  "akonadi_contacts_resource" 8 ("Resource") 
    PLUGINS inserting:  "akonadi_ical_resource" 1 ("Resource") 
    PLUGINS inserting:  "akonadi_imap_resource" 0 ("Resource") 
    PLUGINS inserting:  "akonadi_kabc_resource" 0 ("Resource") 
    PLUGINS inserting:  "akonadi_kcal_resource" 0 ("Resource") 
    PLUGINS inserting:  "akonadi_kolabproxy_resource" 0 ("Resource", "Unique", "NoConfig") 
    PLUGINS inserting:  "akonadi_localbookmarks_resource" 0 ("Resource") 
    PLUGINS inserting:  "akonadi_maildir_resource" 1 ("Resource") 
    PLUGINS inserting:  "akonadi_maildispatcher_agent" 0 ("Unique", "Autostart", "NoConfig") 
    PLUGINS inserting:  "akonadi_mbox_resource" 0 ("Resource") 
    PLUGINS inserting:  "akonadi_microblog_resource" 0 ("Resource") 
    PLUGINS inserting:  "akonadi_mailtransport_dummy_resource" 0 ("Resource", "MailTransport") 
    PLUGINS inserting:  "akonadi_nepomuk_calendar_feeder" 0 ("Unique", "NoConfig") 
    PLUGINS inserting:  "akonadi_nepomuk_contact_feeder" 0 ("Unique", "Autostart", "NoConfig") 
    PLUGINS inserting:  "akonadi_nepomuktag_resource" 0 ("Resource", "Virtual", "Unique", "NoConfig") 
    PLUGINS inserting:  "akonadi_nntp_resource" 0 ("Resource") 
    PLUGINS inserting:  "akonadi_notes_resource" 0 ("Resource") 
    PLUGINS inserting:  "akonadi_pop3_resource" 0 ("Resource") 
    PLUGINS inserting:  "akonadi_vcarddir_resource" 0 ("Resource") 
    PLUGINS inserting:  "akonadi_vcard_resource" 0 ("Resource") 
    Akonadi server is now operational. 
    krunner(3497)/libakonadi: Unable to obtain the KConfigXT D-Bus interface of  "akonadi_contacts_resource_8" 
    "AgentManager::setAgentInstanceName"  Agent instance  "akonadi_contacts_resource_8"  has no resource interface! 
    Known subscriber "akonadi_maildispatcher_agent" subscribes again 
    "/usr/bin/akonadi_nepomuk_contact_feeder(3576)" Soprano: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown - The name org.de.nepomuk.services.nepomukstorage was not provided by any .service files"
    "/usr/bin/akonadi_nepomuk_contact_feeder(3576)" Soprano: "QLocalSocket::connectToServer: Connection refused"
    "/usr/bin/akonadi_nepomuk_contact_feeder(3576)" Soprano: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown - The name org.de.nepomuk.services.nepomukstorage was not provided by any .service files"
    "/usr/bin/akonadi_nepomuk_contact_feeder(3576)" Soprano: "QLocalSocket::connectToServer: Connection refused"
    kbuildsycoca4 running...
    plasma-desktop(3476)/kdecore (services) KServicePrivate::init: The desktop entry file  "/usr/share/kde4/services/syinfo.protocol"  has Type= "Application"  but no Exec line
    Again my question: is there a way to purge kde4 to reinstall it including the global configs? Maybe this would deliver a solution....

cheers

phimeas

You might want to try a reload of KDE. Never did this for a full desktop so it could be tricky. In Yast select the KDE basic and desktop patterns. This should list all the KDE stuff that you have installed. Mark all that is installed to reload by right click select "all in this list" update unconditionally.

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    You might want to try a reload of KDE. Never did this for a full desktop so it could be tricky. In Yast select the KDE basic and desktop patterns. This should list all the KDE stuff that you have installed. Mark all that is installed to reload by right click select "all in this list" update unconditionally.
    And to add: in the odd chance that this works (I give it less than 5% chance of succeeding, but it would beat having to do a full system reinstallation), I would create a "clean" new user account before logging in. It could be that your home folder will conflict with the reinstalled KDE version (since this could take you from "newer" to "older").
    Desk: AMD Phenom II X4 945 8GB RAM Radeon HD 3300 Arch Linux Xfce 4.8
    Lap: Intel 2.13GHz Core i3 M330 8GB RAM nVidia GeForce 310M Arch Linux KDE 4.7.3

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast