Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Gnome 3 - Lost Desktop - Restore default files?

  1. #1

    Default Gnome 3 - Lost Desktop - Restore default files?

    Hi there

    I think I made one tweak too far and as a result have lost my desktop - no top panel, launcher just a blank screen with my desktop background.

    I've created a new user and everything is fine under that account so I don't think it is terminal.

    Can anybody tell me which files I should delete/replace to restore the desktop back to it's default settings?

    I've deleted the .gnome2, .gconf and .gconfd folders but that has not solved the problem.

    Any suggestions.

    Many thanks

  2. #2

    Default Re: Gnome 3 - Lost Desktop - Restore default files?

    try to delete the ~/.config/dconf folder.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Gnome 3 - Lost Desktop - Restore default files?

    Many thanks for that - it appeared to do the job.

    Cheers

  4. #4

    Default Re: Gnome 3 - Lost Desktop - Restore default files?

    Quote Originally Posted by please_try_again View Post
    try to delete the ~/.config/dconf folder.
    Hi. I have a similar problem which I posted in this forum ( applicatingions are restored to default every restart ). I tried this solution and didn't seem to work. In addition to losing the desktop, I can't seem to control it as well. The default applications in the favorites panel is restored every restart. I also can't change the background image and several other settings. My desktop is not appearing as blank though. I can still use it normally. But I really can't seem to alter the settings. I also lost the icons at the top panel. Well technically they are just invisible.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Virginia Sector 13
    Posts
    16,287

    Default Re: Gnome 3 - Lost Desktop - Restore default files?

    Sounds like a permissions problem. Check your home directories and make sure all files are owned by you and have full permissions.

    You can create a new test user to see if the problem is local or system wide. Note DO NOT log on to a GUI as root!!!

  6. #6

    Default Re: Gnome 3 - Lost Desktop - Restore default files?

    Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Sounds like a permissions problem. Check your home directories and make sure all files are owned by you and have full permissions.

    You can create a new test user to see if the problem is local or system wide. Note DO NOT log on to a GUI as root!!!
    Thanks for the suggestion. However, the same problem persisted in the test user account that I created (I assigned the user standard privileges). I'm really at a lost.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Gnome 3 - Lost Desktop - Restore default files?

    by the way, I was trying to install gtk+extra and lm-sensors when this happened. To install gtk+extra i had to install gtk+-2.0 and up plus its dependencies. In one instance I had to an LDCONFIG. I also activated a haldaemon service and a lm-sensors service. Anyway just wanted to share this in case it means something.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    20,925
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Gnome 3 - Lost Desktop - Restore default files?

    Quote Originally Posted by preyes323 View Post
    by the way, I was trying to install gtk+extra and lm-sensors when this happened. To install gtk+extra i had to install gtk+-2.0 and up plus its dependencies. In one instance I had to an LDCONFIG. I also activated a haldaemon service and a lm-sensors service. Anyway just wanted to share this in case it means something.
    This means you changed quite a lot of things that could all be causing the trouble. Can you roll back the changes made and see if things get back to a working situation?
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  9. #9

    Default Re: Gnome 3 - Lost Desktop - Restore default files?

    Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    This means you changed quite a lot of things that could all be causing the trouble. Can you roll back the changes made and see if things get back to a working situation?
    Will uninstalling them be the same as rolling back? Thanks!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •