Thread: ATI Dirver help?

Default ATI Dirver help?

I am considering installing opensuse 11.4 gnome 64bit. I've never used suse before and I have a question about ATI Catalyst.
    If I download the latest driver from AMD Graphics Drivers & Software and build an RPM package for 11.4 with:
    Code:
    sh ./ati-driver-installer-11-4-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg SuSE/SUSE-autodetection
    And install the package, will fglrx auto-rebuild upon any kernel update? I don't want a kernel update to break the drivers.

Thanks.

Blog Entries

Default Re: ATI Dirver help?

Quote Originally Posted by new_user1 View Post
    will fglrx auto-rebuild upon any kernel update? I don't want a kernel update to break the drivers.
    My understanding is NO. It will not.

I can say that too as I've been using it for a long time. It will not touch your kernel packages.
    HP pavilion dv6-6185la - Intel i7 - AMD Radeon 6770M - openSUSE 12.2 - KDE 4.9

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    will fglrx auto-rebuild upon any kernel update? I don't want a kernel update to break the drivers.
    My understanding is NO. It will not.
    I thought I should clarify my post. No it will NOT auto-build upon a kernel update. A kernel update WILL break the drivers.

However rebuilding is easy.

I am considering installing opensuse 11.4 gnome 64bit. I've never used suse before and I have a question about ATI Catalyst.
    If I download the latest driver from AMD Graphics Drivers & Software and build an RPM package for 11.4 with:
    Code:
    sh ./ati-driver-installer-11-4-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg SuSE/SUSE-autodetection
    And install the package, will fglrx auto-rebuild upon any kernel update? I don't want a kernel update to break the drivers.

Thanks.
    Previous to Catalyst 11.1, you could have used modautocompile for this purpose. Since 11.1, the script /etc/rc.d/boot.fglrxrebuild, included in Catalyst, recompiles the module after a kernel update - at next boot and before X starts.

Quote Originally Posted by please_try_again View Post
    Previous to Catalyst 11.1, you could have used modautocompile for this purpose. Since 11.1, the script /etc/rc.d/boot.fglrxrebuild, included in Catalyst, recompiles the module after a kernel update - at next boot and before X starts.
    Thanks for the help.