Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: kde4 don't log anymore, but gnome or xfce do after achitecture change (11.4)

jdd NNTP User

Default kde4 don't log anymore, but gnome or xfce do after achitecture change (11.4)

Hello,

I'm in trouble with a strange problem, and I need help.
    I run a 64 bits i5 computer.

trying to install multimedia packages, I was asked by YaST to downgrade some libraries from 64 to 32 bits. I didn't feel like this could be harmfull, so I accepted. Alas I did this for several applications, so I need to debug this in an other thread (I will).

After sometime, the computer began to slowdown enormously. Thinking of some sort of memory leak, I rebooted.

I could not even come up to the kdm login. I could only boot init 1 or 3.

even Yast didn't run on ncurse mode! With only zypper, I couldn't reinstall yast (ton's of dependecy problems, much too many for a CLI), so I did an update from the 11.4 dvd.

From there on I could go up to kdm, and from kdm try kde, gnome, xfce (I have all of them already installed). gnome, xfce run (I write this under gnome).

But I completely fail to make kde work again. I reinstalled all the already installed kde packages (using yast2 --qt), removed the .kde4 folder, no result.

When I log in kde4 from kdm, the screen stops after some seconds. (the progress bar stops), and I have to break X to recover (and go back to kdm).

I couldn't find the kde logs, X logs don't show any problem, and I don't know where are kde4 ones?

thanks for any help!
    jdd

Blog Entries

Default Re: kde4 don't log anymore, but gnome or xfce do after achitecture change (11.4)

I didn't feel like this could be harmfull, so I accepted
    Seems like you found the answer.

Re-install, it'll be quicker
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

jdd NNTP User

Default Re : Re: kde4 don't log anymore, but gnome or xfce do after achitecture change (11.4)

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    Seems like you found the answer.

Re-install, it'll be quicker
    sure, but I like to understand :-)

Blog Entries

Default Re: Re : Re: kde4 don't log anymore, but gnome or xfce do after achitecture change (11.4)

Quote Originally Posted by jdd View Post
    sure, but I like to understand :-)
    You proceeded without caution IMO

I can tell you there are packaging issues with multimedia and it possibly contributed to your problem and may have been the force behind the 64 > 32 switch. Something you should not have accepted.
    Tumbleweed_KDE

jdd NNTP User

Default Re : Re: Re : Re: kde4 don't log anymore, but gnome or xfce do after achitecture change (11.4)

You proceeded without caution IMO

I can tell you there are packaging issues with multimedia and it possibly contributed to your problem and may have been the force behind the 64 > 32 switch. Something you should not have accepted.
    I guess so. I work debugging multimedia packages, but never had this kind of problem, so I was caught. Finally I reinstalled all... and now it works (witout all the multimedia stuff). I will reinstall multimedia with care!

thanks anyway
    jdd

Blog Entries

Default Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: kde4 don't log anymore, but gnome or xfce do after achitecture change (11.4)

@jdd
    It's VLC and it's associated packages and some gstreamer stuff
    Tumbleweed_KDE

jdd NNTP User

Default Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: kde4 don't log anymore, but gnome or xfce do after achitecture change (11

@jdd
    It's VLC and it's associated packages and some gstreamer stuff
    VLC, certainly not, I use it extensively without problem.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: kde4 don't log anymore, but gnome or xfce do after achitecture change

PackMan :: Informationen zum Paket vlc

Not available for 11.4
    temporarily

And we don't use it from Videolan repo
    Tumbleweed_KDE

jdd NNTP User

Default Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: kde4 don't log anymore, but gnome or xfce do after achitecture c

PackMan :: Informationen zum Paket vlc

Not available for 11.4
    temporarily

And we don't use it from Videolan repo
    videolan repo was usually available from community repos, but is no more and packman is in trouble right now (no 11.4 app work anymore or nearly) - probably to be fixed soon, knowing them :-)

Blog Entries

Default Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: kde4 don't log anymore, but gnome or xfce do after achitectu

We have pulled videolan from community because of the problems it was causing

No news on packman yet
    Tumbleweed_KDE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast