http://www.techworld.com.au/article/...ets_mixed_uis/

Small wonder KDE4 has gotten lost in eye heroin. If this is the central
    idea of where KDE is going, i am going to have to rethink whether or not i
    want it any more. From my point of view, it won't _be_ KDE any more. I
    want a desktop that is as competent (does the various tasks well) as
    KDE3.5, with each new capability smoothly grafted on. Not "Hey user, this
    file is normally for doing this, here is the app you will use."

Blog Entries

Default Re: KDE direction (Gnome as swell?)

It's my impression of KDE, that while they are adapting to a new world order, they are also providing support for users who prefer a more traditional interface. Gnome 3 seems to go further in forcing users into the new style, even if they don't want it. But then, again, future versions of gnome 3 might provide more options.

For the present, I'm happy enough with KDE, though I could just as easily go to XFCE if it becomes too bothersome.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by josephkk View Post
    See this:

New KDE project aims at tablets, mixed UIs - tablet PCs, Qt, open source, Linux, KDE Plasma Netbook, kde, basysKom - Mobile - Techworld

Small wonder KDE4 has gotten lost in eye heroin. If this is the central
    idea of where KDE is going, i am going to have to rethink whether or not i
    want it any more. From my point of view, it won't _be_ KDE any more. I
    want a desktop that is as competent (does the various tasks well) as
    KDE3.5, with each new capability smoothly grafted on. Not "Hey user, this
    file is normally for doing this, here is the app you will use."
    This is like StarTrek....
    I am loving it.

Its a more intelligent system that make better use of resources. At least from what i was reading.
    +++ ATH0

. . . . . . . .
    LOGOFF COMPLETE

Blog Entries

kde3....... they already buried it
    AFAIK the mourning period is over and it's time to move on
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

this Plasma Active is a great example for how cool the tecnology behind Plasma really is.

Right now we have two form factors already included in KDE 4: Desktop and Netbook. Because in systemsettings you can choose to use the Desktop or the netbook formfactor.

Plasma Active aims towards tablets - the third formfactor.

So if you want to have a cool desktop environment and you want to have everything consistent - means the same style and maybe (?) apps on your Desktop, your netbook and on the tablet you own, then KDE is the number 1 choice.

result for me: KDE rocks! It is really great what these folks have done in the past few years.

in http://vizzzion.org/blog/2011/04/pla...vice-spectrum/

there is some more information on Plasma Active - its awesome
    Desk: HP Pavilion, Nvidia GeForce GTX460, Atheros Wlan, openSUSE 12.1 KDE 4.7.2, Win7
    Lap: Sony Vaio VPCEB3J1E, Intel GMA 3500, Intel Wlan, openSUSE 12.1 KDE 4.7.2
    Netty: HP Mini 3530, Xubuntu 11.10

KDE3 isn't dead yet - I still get regular updates for KDE3 programs. KDE4's direction is to improve user interaction whatever the interface; current work is focused on ensuring that the interface works well on small form factor devices. That means you may not see those improvements on a desktop computer even when the architecture underneath has changed.

The magical thing about KDE is that they have shown time and again that they can develop amazing technology without stepping on everyone's toes. They have a Netbook and Mobile UI already, but neither are impeding on the default KDE desktop's development or capabilities. They find a way for everything to work together and enhance the KDE experience.

I fear that too many people are ignoring just how many good things have come from KDE 4 for short-sighted reasons. They pretend it's more like Windows than it is, call people Windows lovers just for using it, say it's too much bling for how much processing power it uses. It's nowhere near as bad as Windows 7, for instance.

As of late, the speed issues have become far less of an issue, and to a large degree weren't there to begin with- a lot of the flawed perception of KDE is FUD from Ubuntu users who love Gnome to pieces. The KDE developers have no intentions of abandoning their current direction- only to refine it and make the most modern computing environment available. And I think it's a shame that so few people recognize how successful they've been due to prejudice. @_@ But enough of my ranting.

And I think it's a shame that so few people recognize how successful they've been due to prejudice.
    KDE4 is completely unusable, they removed the basiuc functions that were present in KDE3 and broke others, they still cannot get rid of the huge visual artifacts that appear everywhere. They still cannot, and possibly do not want, to reconcile the Plasma and Qt4 styles. They still cannot make Plasma reliable. About what prejudice do you speak?

AFAIK the mourning period is over
    From where did you obtain such sacred knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by Ansus View Post
    KDE4 is completely unusable, they removed the basiuc functions that were present in KDE3 and broke others, they still cannot get rid of the huge visual artifacts that appear everywhere. They still cannot, and possibly do not want, to reconcile the Plasma and Qt4 styles. They still cannot make Plasma reliable. About what prejudice do you speak?
    which basic functions are in KDE3 which are not in KDE4?? Please come up with examples! Which functions are broken in KDE4, but work in KDE3? Examples?

I have installed KDE 3.5.10 some weeks ago because of nostalgic reasons. I didnt even find a networkmanager to connect to my WLAN!!! Is this the superior functionality of KDE3??? The fact that everything is cluttered somewhere in some hidden menus?? That shortcuts in one menu point to shortcuts in the same menu in KDE3 - is the fact that this is sorted out in KDE4 the "broken functionality?
    Desk: HP Pavilion, Nvidia GeForce GTX460, Atheros Wlan, openSUSE 12.1 KDE 4.7.2, Win7

Quote Originally Posted by murderslastcrow View Post
    The magical thing about KDE is that they have shown time and again that they can develop amazing technology without stepping on everyone's toes. They have a Netbook and Mobile UI already, but neither are impeding on the default KDE desktop's development or capabilities. They find a way for everything to work together and enhance the KDE experience.

I fear that too many people are ignoring just how many good things have come from KDE 4 for short-sighted reasons. They pretend it's more like Windows than it is, call people Windows lovers just for using it, say it's too much bling for how much processing power it uses. It's nowhere near as bad as Windows 7, for instance.

As of late, the speed issues have become far less of an issue, and to a large degree weren't there to begin with- a lot of the flawed perception of KDE is FUD from Ubuntu users who love Gnome to pieces. The KDE developers have no intentions of abandoning their current direction- only to refine it and make the most modern computing environment available. And I think it's a shame that so few people recognize how successful they've been due to prejudice. @_@ But enough of my ranting.
    its no rant, you are right!

+1000000000

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast