Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: KDE direction (Gnome as swell?)

Default Re: KDE direction (Gnome as swell?)

Quote Originally Posted by Ansus View Post
    My impression from the very beginning was that Plasma was intended for mobile market, especially, tablets and netbooks. It surely was not intended for desktop use.

Actually I do not bother about tablets. I just want a normal desktop DE. Unfortunately somebody decided that Linux should concede desktops and concentrate on mobile devices as a growing market. That's why we got Gnome Shell, Unity and Plasma. But I do not plan to install a mobile phone OS on my desktop just because there are more mobile phones than computers in the world and somebody decided that this market is more attracting.
    so, yes... you did not get it.

Plasma makes it possible to make a desktop DE AND a netbook DE AND a tablet DE, but without the drawbacks of installing a tablet DE on a desktop. You can have a DE which works perfectly on a desktop. You can have a DE which works perfectly on a tablet. They look different. They behave different. But they use the same technology, the same base.

It is not about concedeing anything. It is about having it all!! This is the amazing thing about it. Plasma makes it possible to have it all, without concedeing anything. I find nothing bad about all this.
    Desk: HP Pavilion, Nvidia GeForce GTX460, Atheros Wlan, openSUSE 12.1 KDE 4.7.2, Win7
    Lap: Sony Vaio VPCEB3J1E, Intel GMA 3500, Intel Wlan, openSUSE 12.1 KDE 4.7.2
    Netty: HP Mini 3530, Xubuntu 11.10

Blog Entries

Disadvantages of NM are that it looses connection when changing a DE. That it requires a front-end for each DE without standardised API. That it supports only limited number of DEs. I also encountered with the fact that it does not start the connection automatically under Gnome after boot, does not reconnect on connection loose, forgets passwords after session end etc etc.
    That does not sound right.

With the KDE applet, you lose connection when you logout of the session. With the gnome applet, you can define a connection to be shared with other users. With such a system connection, you are connected on bootup if the network is available, and you stay connected after a desktop logout. I'm currently using the gnome applet on KDE 4.6.0, and it is doing fine. Also XFCE uses the same applet as gnome, and you can make that applet work in KDE.

I used gnome with 10.1 and 11.0. With an ordinary connection (not a system connection) on 10.1, it would ask for the kwallet key before it would connect to a secure network. But it did that automatically after login. With 11.0, it used the gnome keyring and that did not require a key to activate if you had logged into gnome. So it auto-connected, provided that the wifi connection had been defined to automatically connect.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

Plasma makes it possible to make a desktop DE AND a netbook DE AND a tablet DE
    Well may be it is usable for netbooks or tablets, but I see no necessity for Plasma on desktop. Just the opposite: it brings inconvenience in appearance and instability. There is nothing bad in using common backends for different DEs intended for different devices, but why the desktop version should use Plasma for the user interface?

It is about having it all!! This is the amazing thing about it.
    Anyway as I already said I do not bother about tablets. Even if KDE4 devs made a good strategic decision from a point of view of conquering new markets, this just does not give me anything.

With the KDE applet, you lose connection when you logout of the session. With the gnome applet, you can define a connection to be shared with other users. With such a system connection, you are connected on bootup if the network is available, and you stay connected after a desktop logout. I'm currently using the gnome applet on KDE 4.6.0, and it is doing fine.
    Okay. I am sure the gnome applet can be used under KDE3 with similar success as under KDE4.

So it auto-connected, provided that the wifi connection had been defined to automatically connect.
    I never used it with Wi-Fi. I used it with PPTP VPN to which NM did not connect at startup even if automatic connect was enabled.

Well may be it is usable for netbooks or tablets, but I see no necessity for Plasma on desktop. Just the opposite: it brings inconvenience in appearance and instability. There is nothing bad in using common backends for different DEs intended for different devices, but why the desktop version should use Plasma for the user interface?
    why shouldnt a desktop use Plasma? Is there a reason against it?

You do not see a necessity, so that is why it is at least bad, or worse: forbidden? Come on, are you serious? Inconvinience in appearance? Give me a break... did you ever hear about personal taste and preferences? Ever heard about themes and customization?

Anyway as I already said I do not bother about tablets. Even if KDE4 devs made a good strategic decision from a point of view of conquering new markets, this just does not give me anything.
    no problem at all. You do not need to have a tablet. But this does not mean, that other people can not have one, right?

So with Plasma KDE has avoided the big mistake, which was done by Gnome and Unity. Gnome and Unity try to make one DE which MUST fit on all devices, Desktop, Netbook and Tablet. KDE can deliver 3 different DEs. This is great, flexible and the user does not need to give up his habits.
    Desk: HP Pavilion, Nvidia GeForce GTX460, Atheros Wlan, openSUSE 12.1 KDE 4.7.2, Win7
    Lap: Sony Vaio VPCEB3J1E, Intel GMA 3500, Intel Wlan, openSUSE 12.1 KDE 4.7.2
    Netty: HP Mini 3530, Xubuntu 11.10

Inconvinience in appearance? Give me a break... did you ever hear about personal taste and preferences? Ever heard about themes and customization?
    Plasma uses different styles than other Qt applications. There is no option to make Plasma (and as such, the panel and taskbar) to use the system Qt style.

no problem at all. You do not need to have a tablet. But this does not mean, that other people can not have one, right?
    Right. So let them use KDE4 or whatever they want on their tablets.

This is great, flexible and the user does not need to give up his habits.
    ...with an exception of giving up one's habits when moving to KDE4.

Do you mean plasma desktop or plasma netbook? Did you right click on the plasma desktop and choose folder view? Did the desktop initially come up with absolutely nothing on it - in which case a right click add panel brings up the usual launch bar? You may have also initially booted to a desktop showing a rather new type of panel. It will contain icons as per the standard folder view. No use to me or you but is of interest to others.

Some how I don't think you have given it a chance or looked very far within it. I'm using it and do not find it all that different to 3.7 really but I don't get upset by change. There is often something good in it. Also as I have already said it really is fairly stable. My PC's purpose in life is for me to use it not spend hours trying to fix it.

-
    Leap 42.2 KDE 5.26
    3.6gig Xeon, 64bit SATA Raid home - Linux Raid 1
    All software on a flash drive, SATA swap & Temp files,

Did you right click on the plasma desktop and choose folder view?
    Yes. But then there are other inconviniences. For example, you cannot remove the enema icon from the desktop corner.
    Some how I don't think you have given it a chance or looked very far within it.
    What I know about it is enough to conclude it is of no interest for me. Even the artwork is vomitable.

Think I will leave removing the enema to some one else. I would be surprised if it can't be removed. Currently I'm ignoring it. Later I will see what I can do with it.

As to vomit. Have to disagree. I like a plain coloured desktop and am not keen on the ever present all over the place blue. At some point I will create a colour that I like. It might even turn out to be suse green.

As to the rest I can't say as I find it displeasing but then I don't mind change. I started writing software on a teletype using paper tape for storage. State of the art at the time. Later punched cards along with all of those strong fingered lovely ladies that punched them out - I do miss those. They are worth missing. Later and ealier came tape, then removable disc winchesters, then floppies. Too many consoles to mention. Bigger and bigger hard drives. Then along came windows and so on. It's called progress, things change especially software. One aspect of that these days is that if one doesn't like the appearance it can often be changed. Currently I'm typing in black on pink. Well takes all sorts and the o/all effect is ok actually. I have only just noticed. I could go back to green on black or even earlier to black on paper white or it's inverse but frankly I don't miss them. I'm sure I have used amber at some point or the other as well.

Sorry you definitely haven't given the changes a chance. That's a bit sad really.

-
    Leap 42.2 KDE 5.26
    3.6gig Xeon, 64bit SATA Raid home - Linux Raid 1
    All software on a flash drive, SATA swap & Temp files,

Sorry you definitely haven't given the changes a chance.
    What do you understand under "giving a chance"? Trying to dig the code in hope to hack it to get the functions I need implemented?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast