Thread: Strange sound problem

Default Strange sound problem

I have just installed 11.4 64bit and duly followed the guide for getting the required multimedia files installed.
    I find I have a problem with playing audio cd's the only program which will play an audio cd is Kaffeine but it does not play properly - it plays a few bars then silence, plays a few bars then silence and I can find no way of getting it to play without interruption. There are no sound problems with Kaffene when using it to play digital tv or dvd films.
    I have tried KsCD, Amarok, Mplayer, SMPlayer, and GNOME MPlayer none of which can I get to play a CD. With Amarok there does not appear to be a setting to play a CD as soon as it is put in the drive it would appear that you have to generate a playlist first, I can show the list of tunes on the CD but that's a far as it goes they will not add to a playlist or play.
    Please can anyone suggest what may be wrong or point me in the direction of a solution?
    If there is any specific information I need to provide please let me know.

Default Re: Strange sound problem

Have just found the player Clementine which apparently is based on Amarok. Although not providing a direct play facility I was able to load the cd to the playlist then play the tunes. This may be a clue to my problems in that I noticed that it had to mount the player first. Is there a setting for auto mounting?

I had a similar problem that was sorted out when the codec pack was installed but amarok insisted on generating a play list first which took some time. It also searched the web for info etc. In the past I have just put the cd in which is full of mp3's and it just played. I usually used kaffeine as I don't like amarok.

One problem was the initial 11.4 install. It correctly picked up my 2 audio channels but also found 5 others that don't exist. These can be seen in phonon in system settings which I feel should really be called kcontrol. Some stuff was also muted by default. The phantom channels were fixed by the method I used to install the codecs on 64bit. I wouldn't advise using the method I used for that so it would be best to ask about that separately if you find you have a number of audio channels that aren't really there. Prior to this the symptoms were the same as the ones you have.

If anyone knows of a player that just plays I would be interested in knowing which one it is. Amarok to me has too much bloat.

-
    Leap 42.2 KDE 5.26
    3.6gig Xeon, 64bit SATA Raid home - Linux Raid 1
    All software on a flash drive, SATA swap & Temp files,

You can always try to configure Phonom to use another backend, there are at least 3 available if the correct packages are available (gstreamer, xine and vlc).