Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Web Cam Not Working Anymore in 11.4

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    India
    Posts
    303

    Unhappy Web Cam Not Working Anymore in 11.4

    Hi,

    I have a webcam

    Code:
    :~> lsusb 
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode)
    Bus 002 Device 003: ID 1c4f:0002 SiGma Micro 
    Bus 002 Device 004: ID 0ac8:301b Z-Star Microelectronics Corp. ZC0301 Webcam

    I didn't use it for a long time. But the last time I checked it Under Ubuntu, cheese was able to read from it & gstreamer properties also tested it successfully.

    But now that I need the webcam, I can't get it work

    gstreamer properties says " Video for Linux 2 (v4l2): Could not negotiate format".

    Is this webcam not supported now ?


    Got a clue here . Never used modprobe before. Please help
    openSUSE Leap 15
    You aren't rich until you have something that money can't buy.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    27,108
    Blog Entries
    40

    Default Re: Web Cam Not Working Anymore in 11.4

    Quote Originally Posted by suse_kid View Post
    I have a webcam

    Code:
    :~> lsusb 
    Bus 002 Device 004: ID 0ac8:301b Z-Star Microelectronics Corp. ZC0301 Webcam
    I didn't use it for a long time. But the last time I checked it Under Ubuntu, cheese was able to read from it & gstreamer properties also tested it successfully.
    Your webcam is a 0ac8:301b accoding to the lsusb. When 'armed' with that information, I typically go to this openSUSE webcam page which provides guidance. It advises one the check to see if one's webcam is uvc compatible (which IMHO the better webcams are). Your webcam is NOT in the 'uvc' list.

    Then I checked the Gspca/Spca5xx webcam compatibility lists and saw your webcam in the spca5xx list. So your webcam will use the gspca webcam driver.

    Now if you go back to the openSUSE webcam page you will note it states the following, which I will quote:

    However, some applications still don't work very well together with the new (gspca) drivers, a workaround is to preload a libv4l-compat library:
    Code:
    LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so <application>
    before starting the respective application, i.e. for kopete you would type:
    Code:
     LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so kopete
    This compat-library can be found in the package "libv4l", which is available from OSS-Repo or (recommended) from Packman. (see - Additional YaST Package Repositories)

    If you have a 64 bit system, you preload the library with:
    Code:
    LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib64/libv4l/v4l1compat.so <application>
    If you want to run a 32 bit application (i.e. skype) on a 64 bit system, you first need to install "libv4l-32bit" (only available in the Packman repository) and run the preload-command used for 32 bit.

    If this works for you, you can add the LD_PRELOAD-command to the startup command of your menu entry/desktop shortcut via menu editor or with right-clicking the desktop icon => properties => application => command respectively.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    India
    Posts
    303

    Default Re: Web Cam Not Working Anymore in 11.4

    Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    a workaround is to preload a libv4l-compat library:
    Code:
    LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so <application>
    before starting the respective application, i.e. for kopete you would type:
    Code:
     LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so kopete
    This compat-library can be found in the package "libv4l", which is available from OSS-Repo or (recommended) from Packman. (see - Additional YaST Package Repositories)

    If you have a 64 bit system, you preload the library with:


    Code:
    LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib64/libv4l/v4l1compat.so <application>
    If you want to run a 32 bit application (i.e. skype) on a 64 bit system, you first need to install "libv4l-32bit" (only available in the Packman repository) and run the preload-command used for 32 bit.

    If this works for you, you can add the LD_PRELOAD-command to the startup command of your menu entry/desktop shortcut via menu editor or with right-clicking the desktop icon => properties => application => command respectively.

    Its Working

    I just installed the libv4l-32bit package and now even Skype recognizes my cam . I was never able to use this cam with Skype.


    But one small problem when I do this in Terminal

    Code:
     LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype
    it works but when I edit the

    menu entry in alacarte with the same thing Skype won't recognize may cam . I am using Gnome 3.

    Thanks
    openSUSE Leap 15
    You aren't rich until you have something that money can't buy.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    27,108
    Blog Entries
    40

    Default Re: Web Cam Not Working Anymore in 11.4

    Quote Originally Posted by suse_kid View Post
    Its Working

    I just installed the libv4l-32bit package and now even Skype recognizes my cam . I was never able to use this cam with Skype.
    Good news that its working ! ... I use Skype for about 15 to 30 minutes around 3 to 4 times per week in a video chat with my 85+ year old mother who lives in North America (I live in Europe). We are both running openSUSE-11.3 w/KDE-4.4.4 on our PCs (but we have different webcams).

    Its great to be in touch with family via video

    Quote Originally Posted by suse_kid View Post
    But one small problem when I do this in Terminal

    Code:
     LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype
    it works but when I edit the

    menu entry in alacarte with the same thing Skype won't recognize may cam . I am using Gnome 3.
    Sorry, I can't help there. I don't have gspca webcam anymore (I discarded it for a superior UVC compatible webcam). Also, I only use LXDE or KDE4 (except for my laptop with openSUSE-11.1 that has an ancient version of Gnome).

    Someone who knows Gnome3 will need to chime in.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    23,704
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Web Cam Not Working Anymore in 11.4

    I'm not familiar with Gnome (any version). Try creating a script first with your favourite editor (call it skype_launch.sh for example)

    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
     LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype
    then make it executable

    Code:
    chmod +x skype_launch.sh
    Now use alacarte to point to the launch script instead. Does that work for you?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    India
    Posts
    303

    Default Re: Web Cam Not Working Anymore in 11.4

    Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    I'm not familiar with Gnome (any version). Try creating a script first with your favourite editor (call it skype_launch.sh for example)

    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
     LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype
    then make it executable

    Code:
    chmod +x skype_launch.sh
    Now use alacarte to point to the launch script instead. Does that work for you?
    I created the script using gedit, saved it to my home folder.

    Then right clicked on it, went to properties, made it executable.

    When I double click on it & click Run Skype starts & recognizes my cam.

    Then I started alacarte edited the entry for Skype by pointing it to this script.

    But again when I start Skype using regular method that is via the Gnome App menu it starts but doesn't recognize my cam.
    openSUSE Leap 15
    You aren't rich until you have something that money can't buy.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    23,704
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Web Cam Not Working Anymore in 11.4

    The only thing I can think of is that you may need to restart Gnome for the menu edit to take effect perhaps?

    Anyone else got info/ideas on this?

    Maybe you need to edit the menu with a different tool with Gnome 3?
    Last edited by deano_ferrari; 07-May-2011 at 02:11.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    India
    Posts
    303

    Thumbs up Re: Web Cam Not Working Anymore in 11.4

    Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    The only thing I can think of is that you may need to restart Gnome for the menu edit to take effect perhaps?
    Yes, now that I have restarted my PC its working which means restarting Gnome is a necessity .

    (ALT+F2 > r > Enter)

    openSUSE Leap 15
    You aren't rich until you have something that money can't buy.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    23,704
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Web Cam Not Working Anymore in 11.4

    Good work. Enjoy

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: Web Cam Not Working Anymore in 11.4

    On 05/07/2011 11:36 AM, suse kid wrote:
    >
    > Yes, now that I have restarted my PC its working which means restarting
    > Gnome is a necessity .


    or the machine wasn't rebooted after the most recent kernel was installed..

    --
    CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
    [openSUSE11.3 + KDE4.5.5 + Firefox3.6.17 + Thunderbird3.1.10 via NNTP]
    HACK Everything -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5b4CCe9pS8&NR=1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •