Thread: WHy does my SuSE-Kernel ignores my framebuffer disable via vga=0 ?

Default WHy does my SuSE-Kernel ignores my framebuffer disable via vga=0 ?

Hi,

Kernel parameter vga=0 or vga=normal does not work as expected - First it works as expected text mode resolution is 80x25, but after some seconds the kernel, or the initramdisk does switch resolution of console again! I hate to say but it looks like OpenSuSe (again) thinks it is more clever than the user ...

Since rmmod radeon in runlevel 3 says "ERROR: Module radeon is in use", I do think that somehow SuSe ignores my vga=0 ... Is it the kernel or the ramdisk, I do not know where to search, since the parameter vga=0 is accepted and used in the beginning - it switch again after "doing fast boot" or 1-2 lines later...

Any ideas on this? Its Opensuse 11.4

Code:
    linux-wjf9:~ # uname -a
    Linux linux-wjf9.site 2.6.37.6-0.5-default #1 SMP 2011-04-25 21:48:33 +0200 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Default Re: WHy does my SuSE-Kernel ignores my framebuffer disable via vga=0 ?

You need to disable KMS by adding 'nomodeset' to the kernel boot parameters if you want a text mode resolution in console.

Default Re: WHy does my SuSE-Kernel ignores my framebuffer disable via vga=0 ?

Thanks that helps!