Thread: Desktop performance issues (openSUSE 11.4)

Default Desktop performance issues (openSUSE 11.4)

Hello everyone!

I must say that I'm really impressed of openSUSE since I've installed it. I have managed to make everything work on my PC. The only thing that bothers me is the KDE desktop performance. I think that with my PC specs it should work flawlessly, without lags. When I have many windows open, the desktop animations are getting really "choppy". Same thing when i want to resize windows, animations are really laggy then. Can it be nVIDIA drivers fault or KDE ? I've got the newest versions of both of them, but still no improvment in desktop performance. Turning VSync on/off doesn't give any performance boost in nvidia-settings. Tested to turn on VSync in KWin also but it make things worse only.
    One more thing that is not working is the Desktop Cube. My PC freeze while rotating and chosing new desktop, got to hard reboot it then (cannot go to console either then: Ctril-Alt-F1 doesn't work). I have googled a bit and found that it's an issue with nVIDIA drivers. Just wanted you to confirm that if possible.

This is my system information:

openSUSE 11.4 64bit
    nVIDIA drivers version: 270.41.06
    KDE Desktop version: 4.6.2 "release 3"

And some basic PC info:
    Core2Quad Q6600 @ 3,2GHz
    4GB DDR2 RAM
    GeForce GTX 260 Superclocked, 896MB

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Desktop performance issues (openSUSE 11.4)

So it is hard to say what might be wrong with your setup. My thoughts are I would not have went for KDE 4.6.2 as it is too new. Who knows what might be a problem there? I have been upgrading my kernel from the default and in particular, I suggest a move to kernel 2.6.38.5 if you are game. While I load the 3D driver, I don't turn on all of the Eye candy stuff like the cubing the desktop. Its nice I guess, but you got to ask what are you really doing with your desktop? I prefer to be able to play movies, videos on the Internet. I make sure my Multimedia is setup properly. There have been some Flash issue with the default flash program in Firefox 4. So, here are a couple of things to try:

http://www.geforce.com/#/Community/R...DriverD_Banner

Go to this site and fill in the Sweepstakes form for a new computer. If you can not, you have a bad flash file. Next, make a visit here:

iTunes Movie Trailers

Play a movie Trailer for something you like. If you can not, your multimedia is not setup properly. I use nVIDIA exclusively so far. My best video card is a nVIDIA 275, but the PC I use all of the time is just a nVIDIA 8800 GT which works like a champ, but is much older than your 260. I do use an i7 CPU, but there is nothing wrong at all with a Q6600 CPU as I used to use one of those myself. Get back with me on your answers to the above questions and suggestions.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Default Re: Desktop performance issues (openSUSE 11.4)

Hello jdmcdaniel3 and thank you for your answer!

The main reason why I've updated KDE version to 4.6.2 is that I had the same performance issues with my desktop on the previous version (and the desktop cube 'bug' as well). Unfortunatly I didn't saw any performance increase after the update.

I thought about moving to the newest kernel, but to be honest, I never did it before so i might read some tutorials before i proceed.

I have applied the flash plugin fix found on this forum so it works like a charm without flickering. On that iTunes page i cannot view any trailer (my gecko-browser plugin is starting, but it's kind of buggy on that page).

Thanks!

/matee

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Desktop performance issues (openSUSE 11.4)

Hello jdmcdaniel3 and thank you for your answer!

The main reason why I've updated KDE version to 4.6.2 is that I had the same performance issues with my desktop on the previous version (and the desktop cube 'bug' as well). Unfortunatly I didn't saw any performance increase after the update.

I thought about moving to the newest kernel, but to be honest, I never did it before so i might read some tutorials before i proceed.

I have applied the flash plugin fix found on this forum so it works like a charm without flickering. On that iTunes page i cannot view any trailer (my gecko-browser plugin is starting, but it's kind of buggy on that page).

Thanks!

/matee
    I have a bash script file that can help get your multimedia in order. You can find the script file here:

MultiMedia Checker or mmcheck - Check Your openSUSE MultiMedia Setup in Just 16 Steps

I have started using mplayer2 and the file use mplayer2 as mplayer. Aligning your multimedia as suggested in the script will allow you to view the movie trailers and in general video performance should be better.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Hey and thank you for your script. I will check my multimedia packages with it as soon as possible.
    Today I've updated KDE to the version 4.6.3 and the desktop cube is working as it supposed to. I see some performance boost to, so it was really worth to install.

Cheers!

Sorry that i post under my message, couldn't find the edit button. I just wanted to ask you if you could give me any links or repositories where i can update my kernel? I've tried HEAD repository for kernel update but i dont see any newer version there. My kernel version is 2.6.37.6.

Blog Entries

Did you check out KDE is slow for dummies ?
    KDE is slow – for dummies The Blog is Hot
    note also the post referenced at the bottom with an alternate method:
    http://on-disk.com/cms/index.php?wik...-Speed-Up-KDE4

and finally, note I have not tried any of those methods so my posting this is NOT a recommendation.