Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: how i can do to clean memory cache? opensuse 11.4 - kde 4.6 - 64bit

  1. #1

    Default how i can do to clean memory cache? opensuse 11.4 - kde 4.6 - 64bit

    hello
    i wanted to ask you for particular to memory cache,
    how i can clean memory cache?

    see screenshot:


    my hardware is:
    cpu: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
    speed: 1.600,00 MHz
    Core: 8
    Memory total (RAM): 11,8 GiB
    Memor free: 1,5 GiB (+ cache 8,8 GiB )
    Swap: 2,0 GiB
    SO: Linux 2.6.37.6-0.5-desktop x86_64
    Sistema: openSUSE 11.4 (x86_64)
    KDE: 4.6.00 (4.6.0) "release 6"

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,857
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: how i can do to clean memory cache? opensuse 11.4 - kde 4.6 - 64bit

    I can't really see that
    But memory cache in Linux is normal. That is, a large portion of your memory is held in cache.
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  3. #3

    Default Re: how i can do to clean memory cache? opensuse 11.4 - kde 4.6 - 64bit

    Do you mean that?

    Code:
    echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
    It does clear memory cache. Whether it helps is another question.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: how i can do to clean memory cache? opensuse 11.4 - kde 4.6 -64bit

    On 05/05/2011 05:36 PM, manuel songokuh wrote:
    >
    > how i can clean memory cache?


    leave it alone!

    the linux kernel keeps stuff in cache just in case it needs it soon, and
    it *automatically* dumps out the oldest held when something else needs
    the memory space..

    [unlike windows which always dumps it out, even if it then has to RELOAD
    it again one second later---the linux way is MUCH better use of
    memory--keep it full, or almost full as much as possible!!]

    --
    CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
    [openSUSE11.3 + KDE4.5.5 + Firefox3.6.17 + Thunderbird3.1.10 via NNTP]
    HACK Everything -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5b4CCe9pS8&NR=1

  5. #5

    Default Re: how i can do to clean memory cache? opensuse 11.4 - kde 4.6 - 64bit

    Quote Originally Posted by please_try_again View Post
    Do you mean that?

    Code:
    echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
    It does clear memory cache. Whether it helps is another question.
    i did try on terminal:
    tv:~> echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
    bash: /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches: Permission denied
    tv:~> sudo echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
    bash: /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches: Permission denied
    how i can clean cache memory?

  6. #6

    Default Re: how i can do to clean memory cache? opensuse 11.4 - kde 4.6 -64bit

    Quote Originally Posted by DenverD View Post
    On 05/05/2011 05:36 PM, manuel songokuh wrote:
    >
    > how i can clean memory cache?


    leave it alone!

    the linux kernel keeps stuff in cache just in case it needs it soon, and
    it *automatically* dumps out the oldest held when something else needs
    the memory space..

    [unlike windows which always dumps it out, even if it then has to RELOAD
    it again one second later---the linux way is MUCH better use of
    memory--keep it full, or almost full as much as possible!!]

    --
    CAVEAT: C A V E A T
    [openSUSE11.3 + KDE4.5.5 + Firefox3.6.17 + Thunderbird3.1.10 via NNTP]
    HACK Everything -> YouTube - How to Hack Everything!
    ah ok linux s best of windows? i'm wonderfull...but it will be problem when cache is full and linux go will tilt or crash or stress?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,857
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: how i can do to clean memory cache? opensuse 11.4 - kde 4.6 -64bit

    Quote Originally Posted by manuel_songokuh View Post
    ah ok linux s best of windows? i'm wonderfull...but it will be problem when cache is full and linux go will tilt or crash or stress?
    You have much to learn friend
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  8. #8

    Default Re: how i can do to clean memory cache? opensuse 11.4 - kde 4.6 - 64bit

    Quote Originally Posted by manuel_songokuh View Post
    i did try on terminal:
    tv:~> echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
    bash: /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches: Permission denied
    tv:~> sudo echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
    bash: /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches: Permission denied
    how i can clean cache memory?
    This is because you are not in the sudo group.
    Code:
    su -c 'echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches'
    But it's not going to get better or be faster, you know. I answered your question but told you that it wouldn't help... really, you don't need it.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: how i can do to clean memory cache? opensuse 11.4 - kde 4.6 -64bit

    On 05/05/2011 06:36 PM, manuel songokuh wrote:
    >
    > but it will be problem
    > when cache is full and linux go will tilt or crash or stress?


    nope! when it get full it will *automatically* remove some things from
    cache..

    again: leave it alone....learn about how the linux kernel manages memory
    differently from windows..

    or, don't listen and do as you wish and waste your own time...and,
    complicate the kernel's work..

    ymmv

    --
    CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
    [openSUSE11.3 + KDE4.5.5 + Firefox3.6.17 + Thunderbird3.1.10 via NNTP]
    HACK Everything -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5b4CCe9pS8&NR=1

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kansas City Area, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    7,236

    Default Re: how i can do to clean memory cache? opensuse 11.4 - kde 4.6 -64bit

    On 05/05/2011 11:36 AM, caf4926 wrote:
    >
    > manuel_songokuh;2335456 Wrote:
    >> ah ok linux s best of windows? i'm wonderfull...but it will be problem
    >> when cache is full and linux go will tilt or crash or stress?

    > You have much to learn friend


    It will not go tilt. You have to remember that the Windows philosophy is "memory
    is not to be wasted". Linux reworks that to "unused memory is a wasted
    resource". This also the reason is that Windows can happily run with defective
    memory in the higher regions, but Linux will not.

    If you want to see the benefits of cache, start in the base of some relatively
    deep tree and run the command:

    Code:
    time grep -r XXXXXXXXX *
    After this returns, immediately rerun the command. The difference in times are
    the result of using the cache. As long as the total size of the files included
    do not exceed the size of your cache, the reduction will be dramatic.

    Searching the network drivers part of the Linux Source tree, my system gets the
    following:

    Code:
    First Run               Second
    real    0m10.865s               0m0.707s
    user    0m0.452s                0m0.172s
    sys     0m4.032s                0m0.508s


Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •