KDE instead of GNOME

I am running Open Suse 11.4 and when I installed it GNOME became the Desktop, how can I change it so that I can use KDE and see if I would rather use it instead of GNOME, and is it possible to choose what Desktop to use during the boot process?:\

Start Yast - Software Manager
Select View - Patterns
Select KDE desktop for install.

Now, in the login screen, visible when you logout :), on the lower left, there’s Session, pick KDE Plasma Workspace from there, login and you’re in KDE

Have fun.

If you have not already installed KDE, then you first need to do that. In Yast, software management, look for “patterns”. With that selected, you should be able to select KDE to install.

I went through that last summer, with 11.3. I had been using gnome for several years. I installed gnome, KDE and XFCE, and tried them all. I settled on KDE.

As Knurpht indicated, you can choose which to use on the login screen. If you have auto-login setup, then logout to get the login screen. It should default to using whatever you last used. So if you try KDE, then the next login will automatically be to KDE unless you select a different desktop on the login screen.

Did what was suggested, but when I restart it goes auto to GNOME, and if I use the “logout” it doesn’t give any options for changing desktops…when I look at
“perferred Applications” in control panel to see what systems are installed it shows 'gnome" “x-terminal” “konsole” and custom…what do I need to do to get it to let me go to login instead of auto login?
terrible to be a old person trying to learn something new, but you all really are helpful, so thanks very much in advance.

I’m using KDM, where it is easy to see how to switch desktops. You might be using GDM as display manager.

I do have Gnome 3 on a test system, and that uses GDM. There’s an obscure button toward the left bottom of the screen. I vaguely recall that it might be labeled “Other” - I’ll remember to check when I next boot that partition. If I use that, I can choose desktops. On my Gnome 3 system, that’s only a choice between gnome, icewm and a failsafe session (if I recall correctly). If you have installed KDE, there should be a choice for that also.

Changed to KDM display manager, all working as advertised…that you all so much for your guidance and assistance…problem solved

These are the settings to be exact

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10573557/Display_window_Manager/display-manager-kde4.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10573557/Display_window_Manager/window-manager-kde4.jpg