Amazon Video on Demand

I am thinking for a while now, if its ok to buy a movie i like from amazon via this on demand thingy.

But i still don’t know if i really own the movie or, as it seems, you need special software to play it. The reason i am thinking is, that the prices are tempting. Since i am not a fan of big dvd collection and prefer to have it on my harddrive, this might be a reasonable choice.

Now, i wonder if anyone has tried it already and can share some of his experiences.

I am thinking for a while now, if its ok to buy a movie i like from amazon via this on demand thingy.

But i still don’t know if i really own the movie or, as it seems, you need special software to play it. The reason i am thinking is, that the prices are tempting. Since i am not a fan of big dvd collection and prefer to have it on my harddrive, this might be a reasonable choice.

Now, i wonder if anyone has tried it already and can share some of his experiences.
First off JoergJaeger, please forgive me for answering so many of your questions as I do not wish to be a pest. My opinion is still to buy a DVD, at least when it is on sale. That is because you really do own it and failure of your hard disk (or even your memory) does not lose your movie. Now that does not mean I have not viewed a movie on cable or the internet, but movies I like, get purchased, often at a good discount right when they come out. My local supermarket often offers a $5 discount on new releases and it can be even cheaper at Fry’s. Under $15 for a first run movie in a boxed DVD format. So, I hope you get a good online answer, but I just don’t think there is a real replacement for the boxed movie for your collection, safe from bad hard drives and bad memory, though I guess it can always be misplaced or loaned out and forgotten.lol!

Thank You,

No, you are not a pest. :slight_smile:

Yes, true. There are many dvds dirt cheap now. I think the reason i see dvds now differently is for a couple of reasons.
a) i seldom watch movies more than once. Exception are maybe tv shows or really cult movies.
b) with netflix (i don’t have premium channels) is easy to just stream a movie and done with it.
c) i hate to collect movies. :slight_smile:
So in the end, i stick with what i have but don’t buy anything really anymore. Amazon’s deal is kind of ok as i can buy cheaply a new show or so. In my case it is really just for shows, since movies make so not sense to me. But this is my preference.

Linux isn’t supported beyond the video rental. You can watch it on TV with compatible hardware, if that’s acceptable for you.

So sad. Now you can buy and download mp3 but you just can’t download a movie, at least not on un-approved hardware. Kinda sickens me. For now i will stay with streaming.

Thanks anyway.