Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: installing Nvidia drivers GeForce 210 openSUSE 11.4

Default installing Nvidia drivers GeForce 210 openSUSE 11.4

I am having a challenge to install drivers on this machine with the OS and graphics card stated in the subject.

To date I have tried different ways and they are broken in the steps or in the results I get on my machine. The how-to written by ajohnw Installing an nvidia driver - easiest I have found to date. results in a file or directory not found when I try to execute
    Code:
    /etc/bin/nvidia-xconfig
    The article SDB:NVIDIA the hard way results in the following error (copied from the error log):

Code:
    ERROR: The kernel header file '/usr/src/linux/include/linux/version.h' does not
           exist.  The most likely reason for this is that the kernel source files
           in '/usr/src/linux' have not been configured.
    Researching how to resolve that error and I can't find anything relevant to openSUSE 11, closest version being openSUSE 9.

Lastly, I've tried this SDB:NVIDIA drivers and for some reason it does not generate the xorg.conf file. At least that's what I am concluding. I go through the steps, reboot the system and boot only to a command prompt. Navigating to /etc/X11/ there is no xorg.conf and I have to copy xorg.conf.install to xorg.conf to get back into the Desktop.

Is there any proven and simple method to installing these drivers? I went with Nvidia on this machine for Radeon drivers were not well supported in 11.3. But frankly, I am finding this situation to be worse.

Default Re : installing Nvidia drivers GeForce 210 openSUSE 11.4

Hi,

You have to install the kernel-source package.

Default Re: installing Nvidia drivers GeForce 210 openSUSE 11.4

Quote Originally Posted by dwlamb View Post
    The how-to written by ajohnw Installing an nvidia driver - easiest I have found to date. results in a file or directory not found when I try to execute
    Code:
    /etc/bin/nvidia-xconfig
    Nobody here would seriously recommand following this howto. Take a look at this script by jdmcdaniel3, which has been used by many people and has been proven to work:

LNVHW - Load NVIDIA (driver the) Hard Way from runlevel 3

Default Re: Re : installing Nvidia drivers GeForce 210 openSUSE 11.4

Hello,

It is installed, along with the kernel-devel package. Are there packages of a particular version required? These are the ones I have:

kernel-source: 2.6.37.6-0.5.1-noarch from openSUSE
    kernel-devel: 2.6.37.6-0.5.1-noarch from openSUSE

Thanks for replying.

Quote Originally Posted by DaaX View Post
    Hi,

You have to install the kernel-source package.

Hi,

I saw and tried that script. It automates the process of the original how-to quoted in my first message. Running the script or how-to results in the same error:
    Code:
    As stated in my reply to DaaX the kernel-source and kernel-devel packages are installed.

Thanks for taking time to reply.

Quote Originally Posted by please_try_again View Post
    Nobody here would seriously recommand following this howto. Take a look at this script by jdmcdaniel3, which has been used by many people and has been proven to work:

LNVHW - Load NVIDIA (driver the) Hard Way from runlevel 3

Blog Entries

I saw and tried that script. It automates the process of the original how-to quoted in my first message. Running the script or how-to results in the same error:
    Code:
    Please provide the output of running the following command:
    Code:
    rpm -qa '*kernel*'

Blog Entries

I am having a challenge to install drivers on this machine with the OS and graphics card stated in the subject.
    My wife's PC running openSUSE-11.3 has a nVidia GeForce 210. She has the 270.14.28 proprietary nVidia graphic drivers installed, which I installed for her using the manual method (also called "the hardway" (which is not hard)). The proprietary nVidia drivers work GREAT on her GeForce G210 with openSUSE.

IMHO this is doable, its the same as other nVidia graphic cards, and its not difficult, once one understands/knows the small number of hoops and loops one needs to go through (typically its not a single click install). But knowing/understanding those very small number of hoops/loops is the trick.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and having a look at the output:
    Code:
    kernel-desktop-2.6.37.1-1.2.2.i586
    kernel-source-2.6.37.6-0.5.1.noarch
    nfs-kernel-server-1.2.3-11.14.1.i586
    kernel-desktop-devel-2.6.37.6-0.5.1.i586
    kernel-devel-2.6.37.6-0.5.1.noarch
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    Please provide the output of running the following command:
    Code:
    rpm -qa '*kernel*'

The kernel sources are OK but the kernel is wrong.
    • update the kernel
      Code:
      zypper update kernel-desktop
    • reboot
    • recompile the nvidia driver

Blog Entries

Code:
    kernel-desktop-2.6.37.1-1.2.2.i586
    kernel-source-2.6.37.6-0.5.1.noarch
    nfs-kernel-server-1.2.3-11.14.1.i586
    kernel-desktop-devel-2.6.37.6-0.5.1.i586
    kernel-devel-2.6.37.6-0.5.1.noarch
    I recommend you follow please_try_again's advice. Note the difference in version numbers. It is ESSENTIAL that the kernel-desktop (version in 'red' above, which is the actual kernel) and the kernel sources (versions in 'green' above) have the same version numbers. As please_try_again noted, they do not on your PC's setup.

... I typically also have kernel-syms installed, but I do not believe that essential for building a video driver (albeit I confess I have not tried without kernel-syms as along as I can remember back in time).

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast