Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I try to boot but the screen goes off - works with failsafe mode though ???

Default I try to boot but the screen goes off - works with failsafe mode though ???

Hello there,
    well, I've got this really huge problem, which I really want to solve, because otherwise I might even switch back to ubuntu.

So here we go. Yesterday, I had a problem with mounting nfts hard drives and solved (you guys solved it actually) it by adding ntfs to the /etc/filesystems file. (I doubt, that it has anything to with that, but it might, so I will just tell you everything I did)

I added an ATI driver repository as well, which is probably the key to this problem.(or at least something with drivers) --> not sure if I installed anything

So however, the problem is now, that the screen tells me, the signal would die just before the log in screen appears. ("No signal" --> screen goes to standby --> can't wake it up again--> no opensuse for me)

I'm now running the system in some sort of safe mode and it works, but I think, that it is using my on board graphic card and not the actual "radeon hd 5600", which provides much better quality.

--> just looked it up, yes it is using the crappy one (on board)

So here's the question:
    First of all why does this error occur(worked fine before) and secondly how can I fix it?

If you need more details, just ask me.

Thanks for your help

PS: didnt know what to search for in the forums, so if another thread provides the solution, please just post the link)

Default Re: I try to boot but the screen goes off - works with failsafe mode though ???

This might help:
    when I select "Desktop -- openSUSE 11.4 - some numbers" it gives me this under Boot Options below: vga=0x345

any suggestions --> I've got a desktop resolution of 1050x1650, but when I change it to that, there's no difference, the screen goes off as well, shortly before the log in should come up.

Default Re: I try to boot but the screen goes off - works with failsafe mode though ???

well it says, this would be an undefined code, so I'll try something else.

I tried it out, but it still doesn't work --> still says undefined
    Do I have to install some sort of resolution package? --> I can still access the pc using safe mode

What happens when you select the failsafe option?

Default Re : Re: I try to boot but the screen goes off - works with failsafe mode though ???

Hi,

Can you post the result of this command please :

Code:
    hwinfo --gfxcard | grep -i -e model -e driver
    Can you try booting with nomodeset enabled like this : http://en.opensuse.org/File:Nomodeset-example.jpg

Default Re: Re : Re: I try to boot but the screen goes off - works with failsafe mode though ???

Look, I can still boot ( I think I mentioned that), but just in the failsafe mode. I suggest that this command is looking for ati drivers. The problem is, that my actual graphic card isn't recognized in the failsafe mode, or do you mean, that I should enter it, when it says: "enter a video mode or scan"?

Default Re: Re : Re: I try to boot but the screen goes off - works with failsafe mode though ???

Is there really nobody out there with some kind of solution?

Oh man, I guess I just have really bad luck...
    Kubuntu is waiting...

So thanks for your efforts regarding this problem

Is there really nobody with a solution?

Default Re : Re: Re : Re: I try to boot but the screen goes off - works with failsafe mode though ???

Did you tried with the nomodeset like I told you earlier ? You didn't gave us the result of the command I told you either ?

You know, we can help, but you have to follow the advices given.

You have to provide use with more info. Sorry but we just can't see over your shoulder.

Since you can get in with failsafe, install the proprietary driver for your card. If you don't know how read

openSUSE Graphic Card Practical Theory Guide for Users

I'm sorry, I got a bit unpolite, this just really drives me crazy.

So I'll try to get the drivers for it, but I just really don't understand why the system suddenly needs some drivers, because it worked fine before. Ok, that was a bit unclear. I searched(when the whole thing was still working) for drivers and noticed, that they installed themselves by default. I'm just not sure, that the drivers are the actual problem.

I'll search for them anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast