Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kernal patch & Nvidia drivers

Default Kernal patch & Nvidia drivers

After the recent Kernel Patch 2.6.37.6 & NVidia upgrades, I was unable to login. My splash screen would appear and and just hang there.

I was able to remove the NVidia drivers and can boot now. Is there a dependency issue to be able to run the patch and NVidia drivers? System was fine before upgrades.

Opensuse 11.4 Gnome 2
    All the virtuous deeds and merit ... can be destroyed by just one moment of anger.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Kernal patch & Nvidia drivers

Quote Originally Posted by the_Dude_abides View Post
    After the recent Kernel Patch 2.6.37.6 & NVidia upgrades, I was unable to login. My splash screen would appear and and just hang there.

I was able to remove the NVidia drivers and can boot now. Is there a dependency issue to be able to run the patch and NVidia drivers? System was fine before upgrades.

Opensuse 11.4 Gnome 2
    I installed the new 2.6.37.6 kernel on two PCs. One PC has a nVidia GTX-260 graphic card with a 64-bit openSUSE-11.4 install (with the 270.41.06 nvidia driver) and the other PC has a much older nVidia FX5200 graphic card with a 32-bit openSUSE-11.4 install (with 173.14.28 nvidia driver). In both cases after updating to the latest 2.6.37.6 kernel and then rebooting and rebuilding the proprietary nvidia driver(s) the manual way (also called 'the hardway' (which is not hard)) I found X would not start and I was thrown back into a full screen text mode.

The solution for me was to blacklist the nouveau driver, rebooting and rebuilding the nvidia driver - and then X would boot ok with proprietary nvidia driver(s). Please read post#9 and #10 in this thread: Kernel Update Goes Well! where I go into more detail.

Good luck and I hope that helps.

Thank you, I will give that a try.
    All the virtuous deeds and merit ... can be destroyed by just one moment of anger.

Silly question from SDB:NVIDIA the hard way - openSUSE it says,
    To install the driver you need to log out and under the shutdown options choose "console login".
    I don't see an option to do that at shutdown or start up; how do I get to a console at start-up? And if I have to change something can I revert it back to have the normal boot instead of console.

Also, as said,
    Disable Kernel Mode Setting (KMS)

openSUSE 11.3 uses KMS by default, which is not supported by the proprietary Nvidia driver, therefore you have to disable it.

Add nomodeset to the boot options in /boot/grub/menu.lst

Also remove it from the initrd. Edit /etc/sysconfig/kernel and set NO-KMS-IN-INITRD = yes . Then run:

# mkinitrd
    I checked
    /boot/grub/menu.lst and after which line do I add nomodeset

Finally when do I blacklist nouvea? After loading the NVidia driver in the console at startup?

Blog Entries

Finally when do I blacklist nouvea? After loading the NVidia driver in the console at startup?
    I do not know about timing of activities when installing the proprietary nvidia driver via the repository method.

But if one is installing the nVidia driver in run level 3 via the .run file (the manual way which some call "the hardway" (which is not hard)) then I typically blacklist the nouveau driver BEFORE rebooting to run level 3 to build the proprietary nVidia driver.

I'm not sure where I went wrong, but I'm back to loading OpenSuse in Icewm and unable to in Gnome or KDE.

I followed the instructions from Nvidia the hard-way and I still have trouble. When I go to log into Gnome or KDE, and after the login the screen asks for my password, the splash screen just hangs and never logs in.

I did as you did (Although I run Gnome)
    After updating I rebooted to run level 3 (with 'nomodeset' specified) and rebuilt the proprietary 270.41.06 video driver manually (ie what they call 'the hardway' which is NOT hard). Previous I was running KDE4 successfully with the 260.19.36 version of the nVidia driver). Note I also have yast > System > /etc/sysconfig Editor > System > Kernel > NO_KMS_IN_INITRD equal to "yes" (which was necessary for the 260.xx.xx version build previous).
    then I
    Code:

echo "blacklist nouveau" >> /etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist.conf
    I haven't checked the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file

will do that next

No errors stood in var/log/xorg, but I'm not sure what else to look for.

I'm not sure where I went wrong, but I'm back to loading OpenSuse in Icewm and unable to in Gnome or KDE.

I followed the instructions from Nvidia the hard-way and I still have trouble. When I go to log into Gnome or KDE, and after the login the screen asks for my password, the splash screen just hangs and never logs in.
    That does not (necessarily) sound like a graphics issue. Have you tried with a new user? Just to see it you are able to log in to KDE or Gnome with that account.

i was running the suse nvidia driver
    WAS
    until this update
    then hang and hang and hang
    failsafe boot then ...

back to the tried and true .run "NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-270.41.06.run "

uninstalled the nvidia rpm
    checked to make sure my nvidia-installer file still was there

/etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-installer-disable-nouveau.conf
    Code:
    blacklist nouveau