Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No display after online update

Default No display after online update

Hi, I performed the online update which included a kernel upgrade. After restart I no longer get a working display. Otherwise appears to boot, as I can see the drive from my laptop via samba.

I cannot get a display in either normal boot nor in failsafe. I am also not able to get a terminal screen.

Grub boot includes VGA=0x31a

Are there any other boot options I can enter to at least get to a terminal?

thanks,
    Frank

Default Re: No display after online update

Correction to my post (update).

System boots but there is no input to the LCD monitor DVI port and screen goes blank immediately after the splash screen first appears. I have changed boot line to vga=normal with same result. Also cannot boot failsafe.

thx.

In console, please type this command and post output here:
    Code:
     hwinfo --gfxcard | grep -i -e model -e driver
    * boot in normal mode but append "3" in the options line before booting. You should get a text mode login. Then type the command above.

thanks, but I am unable to get a console even when I try to boot runlevel=3. The monitor is going into DVI Power Saving mode (i've now figured out) and remains in that mode such that I get no display at all.

I've been searching for methods to disable the DVI power save mode with no luck so far.

I cannot remember the model of graphics card -- I'm trying to dig that up from somewhere, but no luck so far.

I tried logging in "blind" and running the hwconf command and redirecting into a text file that I could access and read from my laptop , but so far, this has not worked.

I'd like to be able to ssh to the desktop, but I've not been able to do that yet, either.

-Frank

Quote Originally Posted by please_try_again View Post
    In console, please type this command and post output here:
    Code:
     hwinfo --gfxcard | grep -i -e model -e driver
    * boot in normal mode but append "3" in the options line before booting. You should get a text mode login. Then type the command above.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rossff View Post
    I cannot remember the model of graphics card -- I'm trying to dig that up from somewhere, but no luck so far.
    Likely you can figure that out by booting with a liveCD and use that to investigate. The information (as to what hardware) is likely contained on your hard drive in the /var/log/Xorg.0.log (on the hard drive and also on the liveCD).

In addition, the /var/log/Xorg.0.log on the hard drive may give you a hint why this is not booting. The /var/log/boot.log also may give you a hint why the boot failed. Again, you can boot to a liveCD to get this information.

I have an install DVD, which I should also be able to use to boot to a login... I'll try that, since I have it handy. Thanks for the hint. I'll post results shortly.

On 2011-04-30 21:06, rossff wrote:
    > I'd like to be able to ssh to the desktop, but I've not been able to do
    > that yet, either.

Why not? Could you do that previously, or have you never tried?
    The default is ssh off.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)

hwinfo gives: ATI R350 NH
    ATI Radeon R350 [Radeon 9800 Pro]

Xorg.0.log is not telling me a whole lot -- anything I should look for?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rossff View Post
    hwinfo gives: ATI R350 NH
    ATI Radeon R350 [Radeon 9800 Pro]

Xorg.0.log is not telling me a whole lot -- anything I should look for?
    If your boot can not even reach run level 3 then its not likely the Xorg.0.log will help troubleshoot. I suggested the Xorg.0.log so you could see what graphic card is in use.

Your /var/log/boot.log or /var/log/messages will likely yield more information as to why the boot is failing.

Thanks.

I either do not have ssh running on the desktop or it is blocked by the firewall - in either case, I cannot remote login to the machine from the laptop.

I cannot check the boot logs because these will be different when booting from the DVD, correct? Or is there some way I can read the boot logs on the hard drive after booting the rescue system?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast