Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: After zypper ref and up, cannot boot properly

  1. #1

    Default After zypper ref and up, cannot boot properly

    I don't know why openSUSE 11.4 cannot boot properly by the default option openSUSE-2.6.37.6-0.5 after using "zypper ref and up" to update some packages in this morning. Even though, it can boot from failsafe option, sometime it will go to non-gui mode. To start GUI mode, i use init 3 and back to init 5.

    this openSUSE 11.4 system is a fresh installation in a week. To reduce incompatibility within those packages, I use official repositories provided by Yast2 and install phpmyadmin from opensuse.org. Is it possible that affected by the previous installation of tumbleweed standard? Because this situation also happened in the previous tumbleweed installation so that i reinstalled openSUSE 11.4 and only used the standard repositories in the fresh installation. Or is it possible that affected by my out-dated computer that consists of AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2500+, 768MB ram and 120G harddisk.

    following is my repositories copy from the output of "zypper lr". and sorry that contain some chinese characters, it would affect the display other than Chinese users. however, i don't how to change the output to English type temporarily. Finally, Sorry for my chinese-english .


    1 | download.opensuse.org-Extra | openSUSE BuildService - KDE:Extra | 是 | 是
    2 | download.opensuse.org-Stable | Stable LibreOffice Repository | 是 | 是
    3 | download.opensuse.org-UpdatedApps | openSUSE BuildService - KDE:UpdatedApps | 是 | 是
    4 | download.opensuse.org-database | openSUSE BuildService - 資料庫 | 是 | 是
    5 | download.opensuse.org-mozilla | openSUSE BuildService - Mozilla | 是 | 是
    6 | download.opensuse.org-packages | openSUSE BuildService - Javaackages | 是 | 是
    7 | download.opensuse.org-php | openSUSE BuildService - PHP | 是 | 是
    8 | download.opensuse.org-standard | 主要套件庫 (Contrib) | 是 | 是
    9 | openSUSE-11.4-11.4-0 | openSUSE-11.4-11.4-0 | 是 | 否
    10 | packman.inode.at-suse | Packman Repository | 是 | 是
    11 | repo-debug | openSUSE-11.4-Debug | 否 | 是
    12 | repo-debug-update | openSUSE-11.4-Update-Debug | 否 | 是
    13 | repo-non-oss | openSUSE-11.4-Non-Oss | 是 | 是
    14 | repo-oss | openSUSE-11.4-Oss | 是 | 是
    15 | repo-source | openSUSE-11.4-Source | 否 | 是
    16 | serverhp:applications | serverhp:applications | 是 | 是
    17 | tor | tor | 是 | 是
    18 | 更新-openSUSE-11.4-11.4-0 | 更新 openSUSE 11.4 11.4-0 | 是 | 是

  2. #2

    Default Re: After zypper ref and up, cannot boot properly

    More information:

    There is the output of lspci:

    00:00.0 Host bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce2 IGP2 (rev c1)
    00:00.1 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 1 (rev c1)
    00:00.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 4 (rev c1)
    00:00.3 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 3 (rev c1)
    00:00.4 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 2 (rev c1)
    00:00.5 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 5 (rev c1)
    00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce2 ISA Bridge (rev a3)
    00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation nForce2 SMBus (MCP) (rev a2)
    00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 USB Controller (rev a3)
    00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 USB Controller (rev a3)
    00:02.2 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 USB Controller (rev a3)
    00:04.0 Ethernet controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Ethernet Controller (rev a1)
    00:08.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce2 External PCI Bridge (rev a3)
    00:09.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation nForce2 IDE (rev a2)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce2 AGP (rev c1)
    01:07.0 Multimedia controller: Philips Semiconductors SAA7134/SAA7135HL Video Broadcast Decoder (rev 01)
    01:08.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy (rev 03)
    01:08.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy Game Port (rev 03)
    01:08.2 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Creative Labs SB Audigy FireWire Port
    02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV250 If [Radeon 9000] (rev 01)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ
    Posts
    3,166

    Default Re: After zypper ref and up, cannot boot properly

    • you may need to disable all existing repos and do zypper dup again,
    • also you may try and change between kernels(default==>desktop)


    Code:
    zypper modifyrepo --all --disable
     
    
    • Add the new openSUSE 11.4 repositories,
    zypper addrepo --name "openSUSE-11.4 OSS" Index of /distribution/11.4/repo/oss repo-11.4-oss zypper addrepo --name "openSUSE-11.4 Non-OSS" Index of /distribution/11.4/repo/non-oss repo-11.4-non-oss zypper addrepo --refresh --name "openSUSE-11.4 Updates" Index of /update/11.4 repo-11.4-update The last argument sets an alias (a shorthand), you can also choose another alias for the new repositories in the above command.
    • Search for updated openSUSE 11.4 compatible third-party repositories that you used before and add them.
    Warning: Use with caution. Using third-party repositories could increase the chances that the upgrade will not complete correctly. zypper addrepo --name <name> <url> <alias> Or, if you have URL of a .repo file: zypper ar <url.repo>
    • Now execute the full distribution upgrade.
    zypper ref zypper dup With the above command zypper will download the required packages when it installs them. To download all packages in advance, use: zypper dup --download "in-advance"
    source:- SDB:System upgrade - openSUSE
    GNOME Version 3.20.2
    openSUSE Leap 42.3 64-bit

    www.vazhavandan.blogspot.com

  4. #4

    Default Re: After zypper ref and up, cannot boot properly

    Could you post output from
    Code:
    zypper lr  -pP
    cat /boot/grub/menu.lst 
    cat /etc/fstab 
    su -c "fdisk -l"
    Then we could see what your repro processing sequence was for the 11.4 update, how the 11.4 updated menu.lst, if matches the partitions and mounts.
    Box 1: OpenSuse 11.1/Win7 | Linux 2.6.27 Gnome | AMD 64 X2 6000+ | nVidia 8600GT | 2GB RAM
    Box 2: OpenSuse 11.2 | Linux 2.6.31 Gnome | AMD 64 3000+ | ATI X800 Pro | 1GB RAM
    Box 3: Win7 Premium Home | Intel P4 3.0Gz | ATI AIW 2006 | 2GB RAM

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    11,731
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: After zypper ref and up, cannot boot properly

    I had this problem after a kernel update. I had to boot into openSUSE with super grub disk and reinit the grub loader so the correct kernel was referenced in grub's menu.lst file. But of course, that may not be relevant in your case. You can see if it's relevant by running "uname -r" and "sudo cat /boot/grub/menu.lst" and compare the kernels, see if they're the same.
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: After zypper ref and up, cannot boot properly

    On 2011-04-30 16:36, dadaj wrote:
    > this openSUSE 11.4 system is a fresh installation in a week. To reduce
    > incompatibility within those packages, I use official repositories
    > provided by Yast2 and install phpmyadmin from opensuse.org.


    Huh, no.

    The only "official" repos are the oss, non-oss, and updates - not a single
    one more.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)

  7. #7

    Default Re: After zypper ref and up, cannot boot properly

    Quote Originally Posted by tararpharazon View Post
    Could you post output from
    Code:
    zypper lr  -pP
    cat /boot/grub/menu.lst 
    cat /etc/fstab 
    su -c "fdisk -l"
    Then we could see what your repro processing sequence was for the 11.4 update, how the 11.4 updated menu.lst, if matches the partitions and mounts.
    The output of "zypper lr -pP"

    # | 別名 | 名稱 | 已啟用 | 重新整理 | 優先權
    ---+-----------------------------------+-----------------------------------------+--------+----------+-------
    1 | download.opensuse.org-Extra | openSUSE BuildService - KDE:Extra | 是 | 是 | 99
    2 | download.opensuse.org-Stable | Stable LibreOffice Repository | 是 | 是 | 99
    3 | download.opensuse.org-UpdatedApps | openSUSE BuildService - KDE:UpdatedApps | 是 | 是 | 99
    4 | download.opensuse.org-database | openSUSE BuildService - 資料庫 | 是 | 是 | 99
    5 | download.opensuse.org-mozilla | openSUSE BuildService - Mozilla | 是 | 是 | 99
    6 | download.opensuse.org-packages | openSUSE BuildService - Java:packages | 是 | 是 | 99
    7 | download.opensuse.org-php | openSUSE BuildService - PHP | 是 | 是 | 99
    8 | download.opensuse.org-standard | 主要套件庫 (Contrib) | 是 | 是 | 99
    9 | openSUSE-11.4-11.4-0 | openSUSE-11.4-11.4-0 | 是 | 否 | 99
    10 | packman.inode.at-suse | Packman Repository | 是 | 是 | 99
    11 | repo-debug | openSUSE-11.4-Debug | 否 | 是 | 99
    12 | repo-debug-update | openSUSE-11.4-Update-Debug | 否 | 是 | 99
    13 | repo-non-oss | openSUSE-11.4-Non-Oss | 是 | 是 | 99
    14 | repo-oss | openSUSE-11.4-Oss | 是 | 是 | 99
    15 | repo-source | openSUSE-11.4-Source | 否 | 是 | 99
    16 | server:php:applications | server:php:applications | 是 | 是 | 99
    17 | tor | tor | 是 | 是 | 99
    18 | 更新-openSUSE-11.4-11.4-0 | 更新 openSUSE 11.4 11.4-0 | 是 | 是

    The output of "cat /boot/grub/menu.lst"

    # Modified by YaST2. Last modification on Sat Apr 30 12:14:25 HKT 2011
    # THIS FILE WILL BE PARTIALLY OVERWRITTEN by perl-Bootloader
    # Configure custom boot parameters for updated kernels in /etc/sysconfig/bootloader

    default 0
    timeout 8
    ##YaST - generic_mbr
    gfxmenu (hd0,0)/message
    ##YaST - activate

    ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###
    title openSUSE 11.4 - 2.6.37.6-0.5
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.37.6-0.5-default root=/dev/system/root resume=/dev/system/swap splash=silent quiet showopts vga=0x317
    initrd /initrd-2.6.37.6-0.5-default

    ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: failsafe###
    title Failsafe -- openSUSE 11.4 - 2.6.37.6-0.5
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.37.6-0.5-default root=/dev/system/root showopts apm=off noresume nosmp maxcpus=0 edd=off powersaved=off nohz=off highres=off processor.max_cstate=1 nomodeset x11failsafe vga=0x317
    initrd /initrd-2.6.37.6-0.5-default

    ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: windows 1###
    title windows 1
    map (hd1) (hd0)
    map (hd0) (hd1)
    rootnoverify (hd1,0)
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

    ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: windows 2###
    title windows 2
    map (hd2) (hd0)
    map (hd0) (hd2)
    rootnoverify (hd2,0)
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

    The output of "cat /etc/fstab"

    /dev/system/swap swap swap defaults 0 0
    /dev/system/root / ext4 acl,user_xattr 1 1
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-Maxtor_6Y120P0_Y477SVXE-part1 /boot ext4 acl,user_xattr 1 2
    /dev/system/home /home ext4 defaults 1 2
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-Maxtor_6Y160P0_Y46QT3JE-part1 /windows/C ntfs-3g users,gid=users,fmask=133,dmask=022,locale=zh_TW.UTF-8 0 0
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-Maxtor_6Y060L0_Y2F2Y7ZE-part1 /windows/D ntfs-3g users,gid=users,fmask=133,dmask=022,locale=zh_TW.UTF-8 0 0
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    sysfs /sys sysfs noauto 0 0
    debugfs /sys/kernel/debug debugfs noauto 0 0
    usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs noauto 0 0
    devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0620,gid=5 0 0

    The output of "su -c "fdisk -l""

    Disk /dev/sda: 122.9 GB, 122942324736 bytes
    255 磁頭,63 磁區/磁軌,14946 磁柱,總計 240121728 磁區
    單位 = 磁區 之於 1 * 512 = 512 位元組
    磁區大小 (邏輯/實體):512 位元組 / 512 位元組
    I/O 大小 (最小/最佳化):512 位元組 / 512 位元組
    磁碟識別碼:0x000421fc

    所用裝置 開機 開始 結束 區塊 識別號 系統
    /dev/sda1 * 2048 145407 71680 83 Linux
    /dev/sda2 145408 240119807 119987200 8e Linux LVM

    Disk /dev/sdb: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
    255 磁頭,63 磁區/磁軌,19457 磁柱,總計 312581808 磁區
    單位 = 磁區 之於 1 * 512 = 512 位元組
    磁區大小 (邏輯/實體):512 位元組 / 512 位元組
    I/O 大小 (最小/最佳化):512 位元組 / 512 位元組
    磁碟識別碼:0x04f899c3

    所用裝置 開機 開始 結束 區塊 識別號 系統
    /dev/sdb1 63 312576704 156288321 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT

    Disk /dev/sdc: 61.5 GB, 61492838400 bytes
    255 磁頭,63 磁區/磁軌,7476 磁柱,總計 120103200 磁區
    單位 = 磁區 之於 1 * 512 = 512 位元組
    磁區大小 (邏輯/實體):512 位元組 / 512 位元組
    I/O 大小 (最小/最佳化):512 位元組 / 512 位元組
    磁碟識別碼:0x34adb849

    所用裝置 開機 開始 結束 區塊 識別號 系統
    /dev/sdc1 63 120085874 60042906 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT

    Disk /dev/mapper/system-home: 99.8 GB, 99811852288 bytes
    255 磁頭,63 磁區/磁軌,12134 磁柱,總計 194945024 磁區
    單位 = 磁區 之於 1 * 512 = 512 位元組
    磁區大小 (邏輯/實體):512 位元組 / 512 位元組
    I/O 大小 (最小/最佳化):512 位元組 / 512 位元組
    磁碟識別碼:0x00000000

    磁碟 /dev/mapper/system-home 不包含有效的分割表

    Disk /dev/mapper/system-root: 21.5 GB, 21474836480 bytes
    255 磁頭,63 磁區/磁軌,2610 磁柱,總計 41943040 磁區
    單位 = 磁區 之於 1 * 512 = 512 位元組
    磁區大小 (邏輯/實體):512 位元組 / 512 位元組
    I/O 大小 (最小/最佳化):512 位元組 / 512 位元組
    磁碟識別碼:0x00000000

    磁碟 /dev/mapper/system-root 不包含有效的分割表

    磁碟 /dev/mapper/system-swap: 1577 MB,1577058304 位元組
    255 磁頭,63 磁區/磁軌,191 磁柱,總計 3080192 磁區
    單位 = 磁區 之於 1 * 512 = 512 位元組
    磁區大小 (邏輯/實體):512 位元組 / 512 位元組
    I/O 大小 (最小/最佳化):512 位元組 / 512 位元組
    磁碟識別碼:0x00000000

    磁碟 /dev/mapper/system-swap 不包含有效的分割表

  8. #8

    Default Re: After zypper ref and up, cannot boot properly

    Quote Originally Posted by vazhavandan View Post
    • you may need to disable all existing repos and do zypper dup again,
    • also you may try and change between kernels(default==>desktop)


    Code:
    zypper modifyrepo --all --disable
     
    
    • Add the new openSUSE 11.4 repositories,
    zypper addrepo --name "openSUSE-11.4 OSS" Index of /distribution/11.4/repo/oss repo-11.4-oss zypper addrepo --name "openSUSE-11.4 Non-OSS" Index of /distribution/11.4/repo/non-oss repo-11.4-non-oss zypper addrepo --refresh --name "openSUSE-11.4 Updates" Index of /update/11.4 repo-11.4-update The last argument sets an alias (a shorthand), you can also choose another alias for the new repositories in the above command.
    • Search for updated openSUSE 11.4 compatible third-party repositories that you used before and add them.
    Warning: Use with caution. Using third-party repositories could increase the chances that the upgrade will not complete correctly. zypper addrepo --name <name> <url> <alias> Or, if you have URL of a .repo file: zypper ar <url.repo>
    • Now execute the full distribution upgrade.
    zypper ref zypper dup With the above command zypper will download the required packages when it installs them. To download all packages in advance, use: zypper dup --download "in-advance"
    source:- SDB:System upgrade - openSUSE
    Thanks vazhavandan:

    In fact, this fresh installation was proceeded alike your procedure. when I opened the KDE desktop after finished the installation. Firstly, I updated the default repositories that contain three repositories: oss, non-oss and update 11.4. Then, I restart the system. and add other community repositories. then run zypper ref and up and dup.

    Is it possible that the system is affected by running the extra "zypper up" after community repositories added?

    I will perform your suggestion, thank your advice. ^^

  9. #9

    Default Re: After zypper ref and up, cannot boot properly

    Quote Originally Posted by swerdna View Post
    I had this problem after a kernel update. I had to boot into openSUSE with super grub disk and reinit the grub loader so the correct kernel was referenced in grub's menu.lst file. But of course, that may not be relevant in your case. You can see if it's relevant by running "uname -r" and "sudo cat /boot/grub/menu.lst" and compare the kernels, see if they're the same.
    Thanks swerdna:

    I had similar problem in previous tumbleweed openSUSE after zypper up as well. but I didn't know how to figured out and went to simplified way to reinstall a new openSUSE.

    I run the command of your suggestion. they are the same kernel 2.6.37.6-0.5-default.

    Could I ask you more information about super grub disk and the way of reinit grub loader?

  10. #10

    Default Re: After zypper ref and up, cannot boot properly

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2011-04-30 16:36, dadaj wrote:
    > this openSUSE 11.4 system is a fresh installation in a week. To reduce
    > incompatibility within those packages, I use official repositories
    > provided by Yast2 and install phpmyadmin from opensuse.org.


    Huh, no.

    The only "official" repos are the oss, non-oss, and updates - not a single
    one more.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)
    Thanks robin_listas:

    ^^

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •