Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Laser Printer Suggestion

Default Laser Printer Suggestion

Hi, I need to replace my printer that is a Brother HL-2040.
    Whats important to me is that it has auto duplex. Speed is not an issue really. Haven't had a ink jet in awhile, but i think i might go again for a laser printer.
    I picked two and perhaps someone has one of them.

SAMSUNG ML Series ML-2851ND Workgroup Up to 30 ppm Monochrome Laser Printer

or

HP LaserJet Pro P1606DN CE749A Workgroup Up to 26 ppm Monochrome Laser Printer

What do you think?
    +++ ATH0

. . . . . . . .
    LOGOFF COMPLETE

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Laser Printer Suggestion

I have never owned a duplex printer of any sort, but I always go for HP. They worked well with Windows and right now they are working well with Linux when using the hplip program. I am sure there must be someone that has used the printer you are thinking about and I would just search the internet on that printer and Linux to see what you find. I also have went with networked printers, mine is a HP Laserjet P1505n and it works great will all of my OS' I use.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Default Re: Laser Printer Suggestion

I did some research on it, in general at least. I went to Cnet and Newegg (lol) and it looks ok. There is no specific mentioning of Linux, but i think to remember that both companies work with it.
    No, i think what i was looking for is just an opinion and yours is well taken. Hp sound good to me.
    Brother is not bad either, but their cartridges are quite expensive (original).
    +++ ATH0

. . . . . . . .
    LOGOFF COMPLETE

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Laser Printer Suggestion

I did some research on it, in general at least. I went to Cnet and Newegg (lol) and it looks ok. There is no specific mentioning of Linux, but i think to remember that both companies work with it.
    No, i think what i was looking for is just an opinion and yours is well taken. Hp sound good to me.
    Brother is not bad either, but their cartridges are quite expensive (original).
    When you talk about printing materials, HP, just as the rest, attempt to make as much money as they can and can almost give you an inkjet printer just so you will buy the cartridges. Still, on the flip side, I can buy ink for my 15 year old HP printer and most often, printer death or obsolescence is the only things that stops it use, at least for me. It seems printer materials can be obtained a very long time with name brand printers like HP. Of course, Laser Printers do much better in the print cost department, which is why its my default.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Blog Entries

What about the Brother 2240D? You would probably already have the drivers for Brother. You don't have to buy original Brother cartridges. there are lots of aftermarket mfrs.

Quote Originally Posted by ken_yap View Post
    What about the Brother 2240D? You would probably already have the drivers for Brother. You don't have to buy original Brother cartridges. there are lots of aftermarket mfrs.
    Its certainly cheaper. Is it good?
    I do have right now a brother 2040 which only had manual duplex. And its not supported within Linux.
    My experience with offbrand drums are mixed. I changed the drum 2 times and the last did not last that long sadly.
    So now i want just to buy a new printer with full duplex and give my old printer to goodwill.
    I was thinking of HP (the name) but thats off course more money and i don't print that much. Just sometimes i like to print a manual or a bigger article.
    +++ ATH0

. . . . . . . .
    LOGOFF COMPLETE

Blog Entries

Brother drums (not cartridges) last 12,000 impressions according to them. Are you really wearing out the genuine drums that fast? If you are printing that much, you need a heavier duty printer, and this model is inappropriate, it's a SOHO printer. If you want a heavier duty office printer, try Kyocera, they have some of the lowest TCOs.

Nono, its an aftermarket drum which i bought off on Ebay.
    +++ ATH0

. . . . . . . .
    LOGOFF COMPLETE

Blog Entries

Stick to Brother drums but use aftermarket toner cartridges then.

How about a Canon MF4350d or similar, have purchased one a while ago and it does duplexing, has Linux support Works perfect, as well as fax, scanner (adf) & faltbed.
    Freedom is power, all i have to do is know how to use it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast