Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kernel Update Goes Well!

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Kernel Update Goes Well!

Today's Kernel update seems to have completed successfully and without incident

For me now: 2.6.37.6-0.5-desktop
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ

Default Re: Kernel Update Goes Well!

yep,especially my first after upgrading to gnome3.0

will kernel updates through desktop managers like gnome 3 into a tizzy ?
    GNOME Version 3.20.2
    openSUSE Leap 42.3 64-bit

www.vazhavandan.blogspot.com

For me it looks OK too. Only thing is/was that I found preload-kernel-something eating up all the CPU power when I entered the KDE desktop. Its gone now, though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vazhavandan View Post

will kernel updates through desktop managers like gnome 3 into a tizzy ?
    No reason why it should
    Tumbleweed_KDE

Blog Entries

I confess I typically prefer to LOOK 1st to see what was updated (ESPECIALLY in a kernel), before updating .... I note this in the kernel-default change log for this 2.6.37.6 kernel (ie all updates since openSUSE-11.4's last kernel (the original)):
    SUSE Paste - change log of 2.6.37.6 kernel

I'm not clear if that paste will show up (I may need to repaste) as susepaste did not like my paste for some reason and labeled me a spammer !

That's quite long but it shows how the kernel is incrementally updated, and presumably tested along the way with the various updates.

The summary change history here is a bit easier to read (as it indicates lots of security patches and many ( ~60 ) bug reports addressed) : pastebin - summary of changes in openSUSE-11.4 kernel

I plan to update my 2 PCs running 11.4 (in test partitions) later tonight.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Emsworth View Post
    For me it looks OK too. Only thing is/was that I found preload-kernel-something eating up all the CPU power when I entered the KDE desktop. Its gone now, though.
    I had to remove preload on my box
    It only runs at boot and soon drops out. It makes booting faster. A consequence on my box is a slower boot altogether.
    But yes, it can hog the CPU at the login screen and just as the desktop settles down.
    Tumbleweed_KDE

Not sure if it was related but I have suddenly got an openSUSE Education splash screen between Grub and login. The other splash screens are as before.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by john_hudson View Post
    Not sure if it was related but I have suddenly got an openSUSE Education splash screen between Grub and login. The other splash screens are as before.
    Not happening here JH.
    Tumbleweed_KDE

Blog Entries

I updated to the 2.6.37.6-0.5-default kernel on my Intel Core i7 920 PC (with an Asus P6T Deluxe V2 motherboard and nVidia GTX260 graphics).
    Code:
    07:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation GT200 [GeForce GTX 260] [10de:05e2] (rev a1)
            Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:82cf]
    After updating I rebooted to run level 3 (with 'nomodeset' specified) and rebuilt the proprietary 270.41.06 video driver manually (ie what they call 'the hardway' which is NOT hard). Previous I was running KDE4 successfully with the 260.19.36 version of the nVidia driver). Note I also have yast > System > /etc/sysconfig Editor > System > Kernel > NO_KMS_IN_INITRD equal to "yes" (which was necessary for the 260.xx.xx version build previous).

After a successful rebuild (no errors) of the proprietary driver, I rebooted to KDE4 and found myself with the nouveau driver and NOT the proprietary video driver ! Checking the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file I noted the error message indicating the nvidia proprietary driver failed to load, and X fell back to the nouveau driver.

THAT was not expected.

I rebooted again, and again specified 'nomodeset' when rebooting, and when in run level 3 I ran midnight commander and blacklisted the 'nouveau' driver in the /etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist.conf file. Of course instead of using midnight commander this could also be done with the command (with root permissions):
    Code:
    echo "blacklist nouveau" >> /etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist.conf
    Then I once again rebuilt the 270.41.06 proprietary video driver. No error messages again when rebuilding. I then restarted the PC.

This time when the PC booted properly to KDE4 I noted the nVidia proprietary driver booted ok and special desktop effects were functioning.

Its a bit strange (to me) that when going from the 260.19.36 to the 270.41.06 that I would have to blacklist the nouveau driver with the 270.41.06 when that was not needed for the 260.19.36.

Anyway, its all 'history' now. The 2.6.37.6 kernel is running ok with the nVidia 270.41.06 proprietary driver and this nVidia GTX260 graphics device.

Blog Entries

I updated another PC to the 2.6.37.6-0.5-default kernel (this time on my old athon-1100 (an MSI KT3 Ultra motherobard) with nVidia FX5200 graphics.
    Code:
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200] [10de:0322] (rev a1)
    After updating I rebooted to run level 3 (with 'nomodeset' specified as a boot code) and rebuilt the proprietary 173.14.28 video driver manually (ie what they call 'the hardway' which is NOT hard). Previous I was running LXDE with the same 173.14.28 version of the nVidia driver). Note I also have yast > System > /etc/sysconfig Editor > System > Kernel > NO_KMS_IN_INITRD equal to "yes" (which was necessary for the 170.14.28 version with previous kernel). And I did not have 'nouveau' blacklisted as it had not been required before.

After a successful rebuild (no errors) of the proprietary driver, I rebooted to but the PC failed to reach X with LXDE desktop. Instead the boot fell back to a full screen asii mode. Checking the content of the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file indicated the error "Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module".

THAT was not hoped for (but after my Core i7 hiccup with the GTX260 and the proprietary nVidia driver it was expected).

I ran midnight commander and blacklisted the 'nouveau' driver in the /etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist.conf file. Of course instead of using midnight commander this could also be done with the command (with root permissions):
    Code:
    echo "blacklist nouveau" >> /etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist.conf
    Then just to be on the safe side (in case some kernel modules did not unload properly upon the failed boot to X), I again rebooted to run level 3 (with 'nomodeset' as a boot code) and when once again in run level 3, I once again rebuilt the 173.14.28 proprietary video driver. No error messages again when rebuilding. I then restarted the PC.

This time when the PC booted properly to LXDE with the proprietary nVidia driver.

It appears to me now that with this 2.6.37.6 kernel the probability is higher that users who wish to install the proprietary nvidia driver, may be forced to blacklist the driver in the 50-blacklist.conf file.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast