Thread: can't boot after system restore

Default can't boot after system restore

hello every one ..

I had a triple OS xp 7 and Linux Open SUSE 11.4 the last one was the active partition.
    the grup boot loader used to provide a OS selection screen .

any way , I cant boot my system after restoring a full disk image created by "Acronis TrueImage program" , what happens is that i get a BIOS message
    "there is no operating system insert disk and try again"

however when i set winxp partation as active i can boot winxp again

There is some thing I'd like to ask for please ,when i install Linux : did it install grup boot loader on the master boot record or on the boot sector of the / partition ?

Default Re: can't boot after system restore

By default it is installed in the MBR. However, you can choose to install it on / as well, so it depends on what your choice was during the initial install.

Hint: take a look at Clonezilla. I used Acronis Trueimage at the very beginning of my PC-career, and today I prefer Clonezilla by far (rips a Linux-/-Partition in something like 5 minutes, depending on your cpu etc.).

By default it is installed in the MBR
    OK ,i think i have chose the default,,,now when i have restored that image what exactly happened to the boot loader?? and how can restore it?? (i'm using the live cd not the dvd so i don't have that option to fix the system)

I used Acronis Trueimage at the very beginning of my PC-career,
    well that is good maybe you can explain what happened

take a look at Clonezilla
    I'll consider that ,,,ithanks

I'm not quite sure what the issue is but you may get something out of Linux Doesn't Boot
    Vaio F11: i7-720QM 8GB RAM Nvidia GT 330m
    Win 7 Pro 64 bit | openSuse 11.4 64 bit | Arch Linux 64 bit

well that is good maybe you can explain what happened
    Although it's a little OT... AcTrueIm is pretty slow compared to Clonezilla (it should be even slower today, as it can not handle ext4-Partitions [as far as I know] and therefore creates a bit by bit-image). By slow I mean "at least four times as slow as Clonezilla". And it costs money.

It also lets you choose whether to include the MBR / restore it, by the way.

Good luck for your recovery.