Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I am done with GNOME 3

Default Re: I am done with GNOME 3

Quote Originally Posted by wellywu View Post
    GDM Manager failed to load when I boot up my ASUS N61JV-X2 notebook PC with OpenSUSE 11.4 64 bit with Tumbleweed activated twice. When I click on the applications tab, it displays nothing so I have to log out of GNOME 3 to see my wall of applications. I use KDM now. When I select GNOME, it displays the wallpaper with no icons or status bars.

GNOME 3 is not ready for prime time. I will discontinue using it and stick with KDE. KDE may not be as sexy as GNOME 3, but it just works.
    Didn't Gnome 3 just come out? At least it's farther ahead of where kde4 was when it first came out. KDE4 was a bloody mess and killed puppies when it was first released. Btw, real fair comparison there. <rolls eyes>

GNOME 3 is unreliable software technology. I tried to install it using the recommended way and the command line interface using zypper. Both failed. GDM and GNOME 3 failed to load properly on my system. It is not suitable for usage in production environments.

I will respect others opinions when you respect mine. End of discussion.
    In other words, when we agree with you. Gotcha.

Blog Entries

Gee and I thought this was open. Open source, open discussion. If you wanted it closed, post it on a blog where you can control it. If you are looking for only those that agree with you....then you'll be waiting till the end of time. It will never happen that all will agree with you. And to say "end of discussion" is very closed minded. Why bother posting? You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but so are others. Even those that disagree with you. Just because someone has a different experience doesn't make you or the other person wrong or the opinion invalid.

If you remember, back when KDE 4 came out, it went through a period just like this. Give it time and I'm sure GNOME will be fine. But there will always be someone that will disagree with you, no matter what side of the fense you are on. Deal with it.

GNOME 3 is unreliable software technology. I tried to install it using the recommended way and the command line interface using zypper. Both failed. GDM and GNOME 3 failed to load properly on my system. It is not suitable for usage in production environments.

Because you tried to install it and fail it's unreliable? Interesting.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123