Thread: Gnome 3 Wired Network options

Default Gnome 3 Wired Network options

I've upgraded my opensuse 11.4 to gnome 3 using these instructions openSUSE:GNOME 3.0 - openSUSE

Everything looks good except my eth0 can not be modified. When I use the network config tool from the top right corner the "options" under my Wired connection is greyed out.

I can modify the "options" of any wireless connections.

eth0 does work but I'm unable to modify it from DHCP to a static address. I can set it via Yast by switching to the tradional method but thats a pain.

Has anybody else seen this?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Gnome 3 Wired Network options

Warning. I have not actually tried this.

Switch to fallback mode. You can do that with "System Settings" --> "System Info" --> Graphics
    and check the "force fallback". Then logout and log back in.

You should then be able to edit those settings. (I have tried that much, but I didn't try saving any changes). With luck, you can make the changes you want. Then switch back to Gnome3 mode, and it will probably follow the new settings.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

Thanks for the workaround, but thats just as time consuming as using yast to switch to traditional mode.

I need the ability to change between dhcp and static ip on a regular basis....2 or 3 times a day.

Running Gnome 3 for only a few days now but I'm starting to realize alot of the Gnome 3 changes are at the expensive of power users....ie use more than a web browser. Of course Gnome 3 has already failed the "wife" test as I call it.

I think I'll just end up doing a plain 11.4 install with gnome 2.x

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mww View Post
    Running Gnome 3 for only a few days now but I'm starting to realize alot of the Gnome 3 changes are at the expensive of power users...
    Yes, that was my impression. I only have it installed experimentally, on a different partition. I have no plans to switch my main system to gnome 3.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

Hi,

it works fine with me. i'm using Opensuse 11.4 Gnome3, you may need to tray this --- go to terminal and run
    # nm-connection-editor

and do it from there ...

THanks