Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gnome3 configuration

Default Gnome3 configuration

Just installed Gnome3 and wondered if anyone knows how to make the sidebar smaller. It's huge at the moment

Default Re: Gnome3 configuration

When I last tried Gnome3 there was no way to manually change the side bar which I think is called the dash. If you add more apps to it though it scales and will shrink it's width. So the only way I know how to change the size is to add more apps to it.

Blog Entries

I've heard there is something called gnome-tweaks which is supposed to provide some customization like making the Dash auto-hide. I don't know if it changes this, nor whether it is available for openSUSE at this point.
    "Linux provides freedom, problem is most users don't know what it is or how to use it." ~me
    Friends don't let Friends wear red shirts on away parties!
    Linux User #477531 | Danbury Area Computer Society (www.dacs.org)

Quote Originally Posted by mdinon View Post
    When I last tried Gnome3 there was no way to manually change the side bar which I think is called the dash. If you add more apps to it though it scales and will shrink it's width. So the only way I know how to change the size is to add more apps to it.
    Ok that's worth knowing but seems there's a fair way to go before this is really useable

Quote Originally Posted by dragonbite View Post
    I've heard there is something called gnome-tweaks which is supposed to provide some customization like making the Dash auto-hide. I don't know if it changes this, nor whether it is available for openSUSE at this point.
    Yep installed that but it's pretty basic at the moment

Blog Entries

Hi
    You can go and manually configure the gnome-shell.css (make a backup copy first!!) file to customize, there is gnome-tweak-tool and gnome-shell-extensions. I'm currently working on this to get it acceptable for Factory and general release.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    You can go and manually configure the gnome-shell.css (make a backup copy first!!) file to customize, there is gnome-tweak-tool and gnome-shell-extensions. I'm currently working on this to get it acceptable for Factory and general release.
    Where is the gnome-shell.css file? And is there documentation on what it uses/looks for?
    "Linux provides freedom, problem is most users don't know what it is or how to use it." ~me
    Friends don't let Friends wear red shirts on away parties!
    Linux User #477531 | Danbury Area Computer Society (www.dacs.org)

Blog Entries

Hi
    If you've added a theme it would be in ~/.themes/<theme_name>/gnome-shell for the system it's down in /usr/share/gnome-shell

Using gsettings can configure some items as well.

Customizing the GNOME 3 Shell
    GnomeShell/CheatSheet - GNOME Live!
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Talk about trial and error. well I edited the gnome-shell.css file and managed to reduce the size of the icons, but haven't found a way to reduce the side bar size yet

OK some hours on, I still haven't found a way to configure screensavers. However, if you open alacarte from the terminal and then drag and drop some menu items into system settings - yast2 for example, they appear in the applications menu. Still haven't found a way to configure themes though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast