Thread: skype call recorder or alsa problem?

Default skype call recorder or alsa problem?

hi there,

I use oSuSE 11.4 x64, KDE 4.6 on HP Probook 4515 (pulseaudio&gstreamer). All the needed libraries are installed. All the mutimedia software works quite all right except the skype call recorder and SCX-recorder. Just voice record works also fine. But when I hear a record of a skype call, the opponent's voice sounds normally but mine not. My own voice is distorted, chopped and with increased speed. I have ./asoundrc file containing:
    pcm.!default {
    type hw
    card 0
    }

ctl.!default {
    type hw
    card 0
    }

But it helped me just with the skype sound adjusting on the whole. What my problem connected with?

Blog Entries

Default Re: skype call recorder or alsa problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Angie3 View Post
    I use oSuSE 11.4 x64, KDE 4.6 on HP Probook 4515 (pulseaudio&gstreamer). All the needed libraries are installed. All the mutimedia software works quite all right except the skype call recorder and SCX-recorder. Just voice record works also fine. But when I hear a record of a skype call, the opponent's voice sounds normally but mine not. My own voice is distorted, chopped and with increased speed. I have ./asoundrc file containing:
    pcm.!default {
    type hw
    card 0
    }

ctl.!default {
    type hw
    card 0
    }

But it helped me just with the skype sound adjusting on the whole. What my problem connected with?
    I don't know enough to comment on the /.asoundrc file. Theoretically it should NOT be needed.

Your problem is skype IMHO not alsa.

You could try removing the directory /home/your-user-name/.skype and remove completely all Skype rpms. Then re-install Skype and see if that helps.

thanks for the hint but didn't help. all remained the same (((

You may find that you need to install the skype 32 bit libs and uninstal Pulseaudio to get Skype to work properly.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

I had the same problem 3 days ago. Suddenly it happened, I dont know was it from updates as I havent used skype few days before..
    I noticed that devices in phonon were not OK. I had to install Pulseaudio again, remove alsa, then check if phonon changed devices to pulseaudio. Once he did that, I installed Alsa again and removed PulseAudio.

I dont know if that is the right way, but I didn't have time to find better solution as contact was waiting for me to fix it. So I did it Redneck way. But it worked.
    Emil Beli
    http://www.beli.ws/blog/
    openSUSE 11.4 x64 KDE, ATI 5600, i7 dell inspire laptop