Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KDE 4.6 <dot>desktop incantations - nvidia-desktop utility.

Default KDE 4.6 <dot>desktop incantations - nvidia-desktop utility.

Does anyone know of the where about of a list of these or failing that an example that will launch an X11 application? The app has run before on another installation and doesn't look very qt so suspect it's just using X. As it has ran it must be possible and the problem is that yast has installed it incorrectly. It's the nvidia screen settings utility. The file is

/usr/share/applications/nvidia-settings.desktop just in case some one can paste a copy of one that works.

John

Blog Entries

Default Re: KDE 4.6 <dot>desktop incantations - nvidia-desktop utility.

Are you asking about where nvidia-settings can be downloaded from?

https://build.opensuse.org/package/s...mlewis%3AGnome

The package 'nvidia-settings' is also available via Packman.

Not really Deano. The problem I'm having is that after installing the nvidia driver and the settings utility using yast the driver is fine but the utility will not launch. The .desktop files contain launch instructions. Just had a thought. This is the content of the one for YAST

[Desktop Entry]
    X-SuSE-translate=true
    Type=Application
    Categories=Settings;System;X-SuSE-Core-System;X-SuSE-ControlCenter-System;
    Name=YaST
    Icon=yast
    GenericName=Administrator Settings
    Exec=/usr/bin/xdg-su -c /sbin/yast2
    Encoding=UTF-8

This is the one for the nvidia utility as YAST has installed it

[Desktop Entry]
    X-SuSE-translate=true
    Categories=System;SystemSetup;
    Name=NVIDIA X Server Settings
    GenericName=Configure NVIDIA X Server Settings
    Exec=nvidia-settings
    Terminal=false
    Icon=nvidia-settings
    Type=Application

I suspect what is needed is the correct categories entry for an Xwindows application. Pre 4 KDE used the same set up but from memory the settings differ.

John

I just used the gnome link. It installed with kpackage and has also given me some video drivers nouveau in particular that I do not want. Worse still The launch now has no icon and doesn't interface with KDE well at all.

Thanks for the packman. That may work out a little better.

Question now is do I reboot and see if X still use the nvidia driver or remove nouveau. God know why it also gave me a radian driver..

John

There is a saying in some parts of the software world " Pay for monkeys and get monkeys" I wonder if this should apply not to just people but also software as well ? It was free.

Blog Entries

How did you install the NVIDIA driver? When done properly, it should disable modesetting (KMS) and disable the nouveau driver (at least "prefer" the nvidia driver)

Which openSUSE are we talking about.

Seeing you use kpackagekit, are you running KDE?

This is how it should be done:
    Add the NVIDIA repo.
    Start softwaremanager, nvidia driver should be autoselected for install, otherwise select driver packages for install for your type of card
    Reboot
    Done.

Now you can start nvidia-settings. You can also install nvidia-dock to have the options in the systray that one finds on a windu machine.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

I installed from an nvidia yum rpm repo using yast. I have already had an odd experience with kpackager. It's offering me opensuse upgrades when yast is offering none. Accepting them killed a previous installation. I much prefer the detail in the yast interface as it tells me exactly what it is going to do and can group them.

I have posted exactly how I installed the nvidia driver for a 200 series card in hardware. Basically i posted that because some of the howto's are out of date and there is all sorts of other info about much of which will put many people off.

I should add that I have been using suse plus kde from early kde3,x. I even paid for those prior to late suse 9.x's. I use my machine for all sorts of things and often install things not available from the official repo's. This often means compiling from source and chasing down libraries. Usually yast will provide the libraries. Based on what I have seen so far Kpackager just isn't for me yet. The latest libs are a bit of a problem in a couple of cases as well. The apps are still aimed at 11.3.

Out of interest I think I will reboot and see if the nvidia driver stays.

One things for sure I must also find out more about .desktop files. I can't understand why kde no longer offers the content of these for editing via a right click. This is not KDE. That sort of thing is why many people have used it.

John

I can't understand why kde no longer offers the content of these for editing via a right click.
    Where's the problem? Rightclick → open with → Kate / KWrite/ ...

I mean right click at the actual launch point. Ok they can be edited like that in their folders but they have to found as do the icons etc. Pain in the neck. The lot was offered at source via a right click in 3.

On my perverse gnome nvidia install and comments. Unless something has messed with my xorg.conf there is no way X should use any other driver. What kpackager seems to have done is checked against some sort of standard and decided to add what I have removed. Ok via an option maybe but as a default? Can't think of any other reason why it has done it. It's the sort approach Kubuntu have taken only that one is far far more extreme. Given the xorg.conf is correct why are all the comments kicking about on obliterating nouveau. It shouldn't be needed. Just had my dinner so about to find out.

One more comment. I have tried a number (6) of distro's and binned them recently. Suse has lot to offer over them. One aspect of that is yast. Some niggles but not a real problem if simple instructions are available to get round them. Kpackager is not really ready for anything other than a kubutu setup at the moment really. In my view while that route may look attractive it's severely limiting and just another me too.

Suse also seems to be relatively stable as of old. That really is nice to see.

John

On 04/25/2011 04:06 PM, ajohnw wrote:
    >
    > Unless something has
    > messed with my xorg.conf there is no way X should use any other driver.

do you have an xorg.conf file?

i don't!

Code:
    denverd@openSUSE11-3:~> locate xorg.conf
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/11-mouse.conf
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-synaptics.conf
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-wacom.conf
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-device.conf
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-monitor.conf
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-screen.conf