Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Nightmare! Helping a friend upgrade from XP to 7!

Default A Nightmare! Helping a friend upgrade from XP to 7!

I tried to talk her into OpenSuse, but no, she wanted to keep Windows! Ok, oh well, to each her own,
    but you talk about bs, finding the correct drivers for video, printers, etc., online! I found them but everything was a bit of a kluge. Another stupidity with Win. 7: If one wants to change the account name, it will allow it, BUT it will not allow one to change the "C\Users\folder name"!! Can you believe this bs? One has to delete the old account and recreate a new one! Then copy all files over to this new account folder. Is there any valid reason for this apparent design flaw/stupidity?

Default Απ: A Nightmare! Helping a friend upgrade from XP to 7!

Quote Originally Posted by RichardET View Post
    I tried to talk her into OpenSuse, but no, she wanted to keep Windows! Ok, oh well, to each her own,
    but you talk about bs, finding the correct drivers for video, printers, etc., online! I found them but everything was a bit of a kluge. Another stupidity with Win. 7: If one wants to change the account name, it will allow it, BUT it will not allow one to change the "C\Users\folder name"!! Can you believe this bs? One has to delete the old account and recreate a new one! Then copy all files over to this new account folder. Is there any valid reason for this apparent design flaw/stupidity?
    Are there people who installed these piece of junk??? Strange it is. I do not know how they operate(Win7 and generally windows, I do not use windows, my latest windows operating system was in 1999). Have you tried to show him openSUSE? I mean the operation, the usability, the celerity etc
    Πάντα Φιλικά, Στάμος.
    Desktop: openSUSE Leap 15.3||x86_64||Gnome 3.14 & KDE 5||AMD Ryzen 7 8 core||Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti Gaming Edition
    Γλώσσες Προγραμματισμού: C++, Qt developing.
    http://bit.ly/fT8Hfi

Default Re: A Nightmare! Helping a friend upgrade from XP to 7!

Wait until you realise that My Docs and others are now virtual links to various locations in the Local directory and C:'s root for the normal user isn't really C:'s root but rather a link to Local\Virtualstore ;-)

Enjoy copying things just to notice they're not actually there :>

Blog Entries

Are there people who installed these piece of junk??? Strange it is. I do not know how they operate(Win7 and generally windows, I do not use windows, my latest windows operating system was in 1999)
    That just doesn't make sense. Your last windows experience was presumably windows 98 (according to you in 1999) -- and you say win7 is junk -- how would you know if you're ignorant of windows for the last twelve years!
    Last edited by swerdna; 25-Apr-2011 at 01:46. Reason: Over reacted
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

Quote Originally Posted by swerdna View Post
    That just doesn't make sense. Your last windows experience was presumably windows 98 (according to you in 1999) -- and you say win7 is junk -- how would you know if you're ignorant of windows for the last twelve years!
    Well, it was just very partisan.
    I still use Windows to some degree. It is what it is.
    For that particular case i don't know.
    If the system links the new account to the old accounts name, this seems reasonable to me. Most user do not look in a folder tree, but see just the Gui. But then again, i only made it to Vista and 7 can be very different.
    Last edited by swerdna; 25-Apr-2011 at 01:46. Reason: over reacted
    +++ ATH0

. . . . . . . .
    LOGOFF COMPLETE

Default Απ: Re: A Nightmare! Helping a friend upgrade from XP to 7!

Look here is a general Chit chat thread and I write my opinion. Is it forbidden? Here as I read this thread, the threader do not need help, but if he wants help this is not the correct forum from windows. Yeahh windows is a piece of junk for me.
    Last edited by swerdna; 25-Apr-2011 at 01:47. Reason: over reacted
    Πάντα Φιλικά, Στάμος.
    Desktop: openSUSE Leap 15.3||x86_64||Gnome 3.14 & KDE 5||AMD Ryzen 7 8 core||Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti Gaming Edition

Blog Entries

Default Re: Απ: Re: A Nightmare! Helping a friend upgrade from XP to 7!

Quote Originally Posted by stamostolias View Post
    Look here is a general Chit chat thread and I write my opinion. Is it forbidden? Here as I read this thread, the threader do not need help, but if he wants help this is not the correct forum from windows. Yeahh windows is a piece of junk for me.
    You're right, of course it's not forbidden, it is as you say, just chit chat. I've toned down my reply.
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

Blog Entries

Default Re: Απ: Re: A Nightmare! Helping a friend upgrade from XP to 7!

Swerdna is trying to persuade you towards understanding that broadcasting unfounded opinions may give you a reputation here that you may not want. You're entitled to your views of course, but it makes sense to back those opinions up (with experience and/or knowledge) if you want to be taken seriously.

Default Απ: Re: Απ: Re: A Nightmare! Helping a friend upgrade from XP to 7!

You're right, of course it's not forbidden, it is as you say, just chit chat. I've toned down my reply.
    Do not worry Mr swerdna. I am not agree with no one from here. I know that you want advice me to give good answers to questions.
    Always Friendly Stamos!!!!!!!
    Πάντα Φιλικά, Στάμος.

Default Απ: Re: Απ: Re: A Nightmare! Helping a friend upgrade from XP to 7!

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Swerdna is trying to persuade you towards understanding that broadcasting unfounded opinions may give you a reputation here that you may not want. You're entitled to your views of course, but it makes sense to back those opinions up (with experience and/or knowledge) if you want to be taken seriously.
    Mmmmm. What do you mean about a reputation that I may not want. A negative???
    Πάντα Φιλικά, Στάμος.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast