Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fedora dumping text installation mode ??

Blog Entries

Default Fedora dumping text installation mode ??

While openSUSE is my distro of choice, I also keep an eye on Fedora for I am a BIG Fedora fan (and Red Hat was my original distro) . I'm not a distro hopper so I am content to look and occasionally play with a Fedora release (but again, I'm content to stay with openSUSE).

Looking at this Fedora thread I see something possibly taking place which I hope we do NOT adopt on openSUSE, which is removal (or crippling) of the text install on Fedora : Minimum memory for install ? - FedoraForum.org (see post#6 and #7 in that thread).

I put a 'guide' in our openSUSE forum how-to section some time back for openSUSE: Text mode install from liveCD

.. this was easy (for me to do), because on a few occasions I've had friends ask me to install openSUSE on an old PC, and having text mode was very useful, especially given LXDE provides reasonable performance on old PCs.

I'm hoping SuSE-GmbH do NOT follow what appears to be the trend of Fedora to dump the text installation mode ... or maybe that Fedora thread is just inaccurate.

... anyway, its something I plan to watch.
    Last edited by oldcpu; 24-Apr-2011 at 01:36.

Default Re: Fedora dumping text installation mode ??

I am a big Fedora fan as well. In fact I am dual booting Fedora 15 Beta and openSUSE 11.4 both on my laptop and desktop. I first tried Fedora back in 2006 (Fedora Core 6) and I have been a fan of Fedora ever since.

The removal of the text install is not too good IMHO. It is useful for older computers (like when I was trying out Fedora 14 on my VERY old IBM desktop with 384 MB of RAM it dropped me to a text install because it would not handle the graphical installer). Luckily my desktop and laptop are powerful enough to handle the graphical installer.
    Desktop: Gigabyte GA-Z270-HD3 - Core i7 7700K - openSUSE Leap 42.2 KDE
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8770W - Core i7 3940XM - openSUSE Leap 42.2 KDE

On 04/24/2011 10:36 AM, oldcpu wrote:
    >
    > .. anyway, its something I plan to watch.
    >

i know you know, but i will say anyway [for the benefit of those who
    read here and may not know, yet]:

if you only watch in these fora, the decision to drop text mode install
    will have been made and the decision stamped "Irreversible" prior to
    hearing about it (here)..

--
    CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
    [openSUSE 11.3 + KDE4.5.5 + Thunderbird3.1.8 via NNTP]
    A Penguin Being Tickled - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GILA0rrR6w

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DenverD View Post
    i know you know, but i will say anyway [for the benefit of those who read here and may not know, yet]:

if you only watch in these fora, the decision to drop text mode install will have been made and the decision stamped "Irreversible" prior to hearing about it (here)..
    Indeed and that is true for most all decisions wrt the direction of openSUSE.

I was IRC chat #opensuse-chat earlier today and noted to those logged on about the above quoted Fedora thread (and purported Fedora/Red Hat approach to drop such a text/ncurses installation method). Yaloki (who was also logged on) chimed in and noted that such a 'text'/'ncurses' mode (my words) are particularly useful for servers and remote installations (his words) and also noted there are no plans to dump the ncurses frontend (again his words).

Even though no longer on the board, Yaloki has his finger pretty close to the pulse when it comes to what is happening on openSUSE, so that was reassuring for me to read.

But IMHO it is something we need to watch. I guess a lot depends on what sort of maintenance the ncurses install requires for the SuSE-GmbH packagers when packaging openSUSE.

Just a stupid question and i apologize for my ignorance.
    But is Fedora the leading pillar? Why would OpenSuse do the same as Fedora does?
    Just from a practical view, a text install should be included, especially for gfx related issues. And it does not take resource away anyway.
    They took away already the repair option with the bootdisk, which was kinda annoying. Or is that back in again?
    +++ ATH0

. . . . . . . .
    LOGOFF COMPLETE

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JoergJaeger View Post
    Just a stupid question and i apologize for my ignorance.
    But is Fedora the leading pillar? Why would OpenSuse do the same as Fedora does?
    Just from a practical view, a text install should be included, especially for gfx related issues. And it does not take resource away anyway.
    They took away already the repair option with the bootdisk, which was kinda annoying. Or is that back in again?
    I don't think any one Linux is "the leading pillar".

However we do not have multi-billion Euro/Dollar corporations pouring billions into Linux, so every Linux distribution needs to decide where they spend the money (and the volunteer time) that they do have. If one distribution decides to cut back on a capability, then one can be certain the other top Linux distributions will ask them selves, should they do the same ? Is this a logical place to save money ?

Note the there are only two Linux distributions making money (ie profitable). (1) Red Hat (and ergo Fedora) (2) openSUSE (and that was mainly because of the deal it cut with Microsoft - the question in my mind is whether it can still stay profitable) ? Linux distributions do need to decide as to where they can best spend their limited resources.

I see a change coming up in a future version-TBD openSUSE release to use the new grub. I ask myself, will having a different grub affect the text/ncurses install routines (that handle grub) ? I think the answer is YES it will. So, I then ask, will SuSE-GmbH be able to assign the resources to tune the text/ncurses openSUSE installer to handle the new grub, or will they drop support at that time and only use the GUI (FBDEV driver) installer ?

Blog Entries

It seems to me that as long as text mode yast is kept, then the additional effort for text mode install is probably not that great.

I don't see the elimination of text mode yast - that is very much needed for efficient remote administration.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    I see a change coming up in a future version-TBD openSUSE release to use the new grub. I ask myself, will having a different grub affect the text/ncurses install routines (that handle grub) ? I think the answer is YES it will. So, I then ask, will SuSE-GmbH be able to assign the resources to tune the text/ncurses openSUSE installer to handle the new grub, or will they drop support at that time and only use the GUI (FBDEV driver) installer ?
    What makes you think that supporting GRUB2 in a ncurses installer is a big deal, programming-wise? Other distros have already implemented it. E.g. see Crunchbang, Debian flavour. Any competent programmer can knock it off in a few days max. In fact since ncurses YaST is supported by parallel libraries to the GUI libraries to mimic the same dialog screens, once the GUI installer for GRUB2 is done, most of the work has been done.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert
    It seems to me that as long as text mode yast is kept, then the
    additional effort for text mode install is probably not that great.

I don't see the elimination of text mode yast - that is very much
    needed for efficient remote administration.
    Hi
    Have you tried WebYaST?

--
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 11.4 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.37.1-1.2-desktop
    up 1 day 12:55, 4 users, load average: 0.01, 0.04, 0.05
    GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - Driver Version: 270.41.06

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ken_yap View Post
    What makes you think that supporting GRUB2 in a ncurses installer is a big deal, programming-wise?
    Probably ignorance on my part.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast