More 11.4 graphics card blues

I have installed several different distro’s over the last coupled of weeks and have finally as intended come back to 11.4. Last time I installed it my pc was fitted with an older nvidia card and I installed a newer 200 series and got it to work with X11 using the nvidia driver. This time I did the install with the new card in and things haven’t gone the same way.

I have finished up with the os drivers on my system, nouveau and “swrast (No 3D Acceleration) (7.10)”. Performance wise it’s way way behind the nvidia driver. Glxgears for instance runs at under 1/2 the speed even at a lower resolution. I suppose I could still configure to suite my monitor but given that difference in performance would you?

I have done what I can easily do with repositories but no signs of nvidia drivers. I can download one as I did last time but from what I have read previously the above drivers may mean that I have to recompile the kernel. A simpler solution might be to re install with my old card in. Can’t say I’m too keen on either option.

Any thoughts.

John
PS Some distro or the other had a driver helper and installed the nvidia one perfectly.

Before installing, make sure you read some of the guides. There are problems with newer drvivers and KDE4.5+ as outlined here:

http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_the_hard_way

This thread may be helpful:

Opensuse 11.4 Nvidia Install

In particular, jdmcdaniel3’s script to help you install the nvidia driver (using the so-called ‘hard way’).

Here’s another how to

SDB:NVIDIA drivers - openSUSE

which will point you to the 1-click Installer.

Thanks. Just about to reboot and pray.

John

No one was listening to the prayers. I used the one click install. As per last time I’m offered 2 boot options with failsafes for each. Both do the same thing.

It now boots to the console prompt. The message at the end is “failed services cpufreq” and “skipped acpid rng tools”. Earlier there is an error message that looks to relate to " no acpi support in kernel". I say looks because the “failed” is so far across the screen it’s impossible to see what it relates to. Most would replaces spaces with full stops to get round that. :wink: I used to work on dec mini’s a long time ago.

Fixing this might be hard or simple but it’s beyond my shell capabilities. Any ideas before I re install.

On the links the bugzilla relates to 11.3 and seems to indicate a must fix for 11.4. I noticed no problems what so ever following the driver upgrade. I installed 32 bit but part of the upgrade may have installed 64. Never thought to look.

I prefer to disable acpid as it often causes me a lot of irritation. Last time I installed I noticed the usual delays from time to time and hadn’t disabled it. I just used the kde settings. As previously and advised by some one from suse rather a long time ago these do not always work. (well pre 9.0) Seems to be the case with 11.4 or a bug. I often wish there was a desktop button for - ok reduce power but remain active as I aint going to use you for a while. I suspect this would be popular with lots of people.

John

If the failsafe options are missing, you could still try typing ‘xfailsafe’ at the grub prompt. Then (hopefully), you’ll have a basic working graphical desktop environment to allow you to easily remove the nvidia driver packages.

I suggest you review these guides concerning the nvdia driver:

SDB:Configuring graphics cards - openSUSE

SDB:NVIDIA the hard way - openSUSE

(Refer to the section about Disabling KMS)

This will show you what packages were installed

sudo rpm -qa | grep nvidia

:wink: Got impatient so re installed again with the old graphics card in. When I booted up with the new 210 one in it immediately switched to the os driver. Suspect this is install looking at what’s there as this isn’t what happened on fresh discs.

I have got rid of the os driver easily by un installing with yast. It now running nv which I assume is the vesa driver all on defaults taking no notice of the screen res I entered during installation. It didn’t take much notice of this with the old card in it either.

As I need to re install anyway as I need a root desktop for printer driver installation I want to try the nvidia driver I have downloaded. The how to’s on the site don’t tie up in some respects so I suspect they are out of date. I have tried this already. In the console it will not run as x is running so I tried booting in safe mode. This aspect is really unpleasant. It seem the path environment isn’t set up as the installer can’t find the c compiler etc. I’m inclined to think that dumping people into this situation isn’t fair. Is there some thing I can run to set it up correctly?

Alternatively how can I bring down kde and X from kde while retaining the paths?

John

It now running nv which I assume is the vesa driver all on defaults taking no notice of the screen res I entered during installation. It didn’t take much notice of this with the old card in it either.

There are 2 open source drivers for nvidia hardware: the nouveau and nv drivers.

As I need to re install anyway as I need a root desktop for printer driver installation I want to try the nvidia driver I have downloaded

No, you do NOT need a root desktop for installation of drivers. For console commands that require root privileges, you use the ‘su -’ command first, (or sudo <command>). For graphical apps that need root privileges, you use the ‘kdesu’ command. For example:

kdesu nvidia-settings

I DO need a root desktop to install my printer driver Deano. It’s a graphical installer driven by the mouse. SU doesn’t help I can get as far as seting things up but can’t enable it - the last step. I will try kdesu “print driver install” but have probably tried it already as I have been there several times before. The installer inserts itself in cups. It’s an interesting area. 10.3 had a silly root desktop but could be easily extended to include the needed apps. A root desktop needs some care as does the use of su. Another odd aspect of this 2nd install. The first install didn’t auto set me to user and root with the same password. Another installer did and I accepted out of curiousity. Since then that is the auto. Fresh installs taking account of what was there before contrary to what the user has asked to be left alone are often bad news as far as the user is concerned. It’s a windows problem or was in the past. If I ask for a system disc to be formatted I clearly do not want any account taken of what was in it.

My biggest problem at the moment is how to get to the prompt with the paths set up and x not running. ie My other questions. It’s pretty disgusting that safe mode doesn’t do that automatically.

John

I DO need a root desktop to install my printer driver Deano. It’s a graphical installer driven by the mouse. SU doesn’t help I can get as far as seting things up but can’t enable it - the last step. I will try kdesu “print driver install” but have probably tried it already as I have been there several times before.

There is a vast wealth of experienced Linux users here and on every other forum who will tell you this is a bad idea (for reasons of security and system integrity), and not required, but you seem to be the type who does things the hard way, and you’ll inevitably post here again when things don’t work or you’ve broken something crucial. There is nothing unique about your printer driver installer, that can’t be launched as I’ve described. (kdesu for KDE users, gnomesu for Gnome users).

NO. You don’t need a root desktop to run GUI applications as root. You just need to open your X display locally to other users, including root. This can be achieved with the following command as user (before entering a root terminal) :

xhost + local: 

or permanently with the file /etc/X0.hosts with the following content:

local:

Although I doubt this is still necessary since pam_xauth.so solves the problem. Type:

grep 'pam_xauth.so' /etc/pam.d/*

and google for pam_xauth.

• and kdesu or gnomesu should do that automatically. Otherwise you wouldn’t be allowed to run ‘kdesu kwrite’, for example.

Thanks for suggestions on installing my printer. I’m fairly sure I tried kdesu in 3.x and it didn’t work out. I will try the suggestions as I see kde doesn’t have a root desktop any more. There was a short discussion on this subject on the kde mailing list years ago. I like it as in real terms apart from kde bugs there are the same opportunities for damage using the console. I should also add that I have hacked many consoles over the years even one that was a tele type terminal complete with paper tape storage. No doubt people regretted the passing of those as well. To me Vim is a poorish example of text editors from the 70’s. Some love it. As I have used better and worse I never will. For me the console is a thing of the past. Windows users don’t have to use one and the same dangers exist. - Off soap box. I know that many will not agree with this. For me this all points to KDE being a me to along side gnome and windows. This isn’t what many kde users want or liked about it. Kununtu have made an amazing(?) kde release in that respect. They have even hijacked root.

On hard ways I have seen many suggestions on preventing X from loading nouveau. No disrespect but is using yast harder? On other aspects re X I am not inclined to do anything without some understanding of what I am doing and prefer to get there myself if I can obviously also gratefully accepting any help along the way.

I have now found a rather easy way of getting the nvidia drivers onto my machine and running. See other recent post on another thread. As this crops up from time to time it might be better to start another thread. I currently can’t solve the few remaining issues left by yast. Others will be able to but it would be best to stick exactly to the subject rotfl! something I can find rather hard to do.

John