DNS issues with UMTS connection

Hi!

Lately i installed openSUSE 11.4 x68_64 with KDE4 and wanted to use my usb umts modem (huawei e-160). I tried everything to get a working internet connection (knetworkmanager, nm-applet, umtsmon, kppp(both with ifup)), but i just get a ‘connection’ without DNS resolution. I’m really searching via google & co for a few days now and all the solutions i found, didn’t work for me. Like putting working DNS servers in the resolv.conf, putting my user into the dialout and uucp group, setting NETCONFIG_DNS_POLICY=“STATIC_FALLBACK ppp* NetworkManager”, i’ve put working DNS servers in all of the dial up programs, tried different connection settings,… all with one strange result: i can successfully ping 193.254.160.1 (a german telekom DNS server) but no(!) other one, like 208.67.222.222. It looks like the different dial up methods i used all update the DNS servers correctly, because the DNS servers being set under windows with the original vendor software are the same as the ones in my resolv.conf but i can’t ping them (Ping is sent, nothing received). Then i tried to connect to a server via firefox, konqueror, opera, etc. by entering the ip (like 74.125.77.104 (google.com)) and i couldn’t connect. Trying to ping servers directly doesn’t work either. EXCEPT for 193.254.160.1 and that’s what really confuses me!

route -v shows this:

Kernel IP routing table
Destination        Gateway         Genmask           Flags   Metric  Ref   Use  Iface    
10.64.64.64       0.0.0.0            255.255.255.255   UH       0        0    0     ppp0
127.0.0.0         0.0.0.0            255.0.0.0         U       0       0    0    lo

Have you guys any idea what could be wrong?

You don’t have a default gateway. You should get it from DHCP. Could You show us the configuration of your profile in knetworkmanager ?

Best regards,
Greg

Ok, here’s the profile from knetworkmanager: profile.
I did a clean install of 11.4, left everything untouched/default and get these results for route and ifconfig. DHCP config file says ‘DHCLIENT_SET_DEFAULT_ROUTE=“yes”’…

So the route -v in your first post is without a default route and the route -v in your latest post shows a default gateway properly configured. What has changed between the two ?

Best regards,
Greg

Sorry, i forgot to mention that i did the clean install of openSUSE 11.4 between the first and the second post. But of course, it still doesn’t work…

Can You ping 8.8.4.4 now ?

Best regards,
Greg

Nope, i can’t ping any DNS server (like 8.8.4.4, 208.67.222.222 or 4.2.2.2) or any server at all except for 193.254.160.1…

This is very strange indeed. Can You post here the output of traceroute 193.254.160.1 and traceroute 8.8.4.4 ?

Best regards,
Greg

Here is the result from pinging 193.254.160.1 and 8.8.4.4 and here are the traceroute results

Ok I’ve got no idea what’s wrong. Just out of curiosity are You able to ping your gateway ?

Best regards,
Greg

Now it works!

I just changed NETCONFIG_DNS_POLICY=“auto” in /etc/sysconfig/network/config to NETCONFIG_DNS_POLICY=“ppp* NetworkManager”, reconnected and it works.
Which is interesting because almost all problems with that setting have been solved by NETCONFIG_DNS_POLICY=“STATIC_FALLBACK ppp* NetworkManager”…
Anyway,
Thanks a lot for your help!

Frank

Glad to hear You solved it and thanks for the feedback :slight_smile: No problem I wasn’t of any help in the end :stuck_out_tongue:

Best regards,
Greg

Same to me (11.4_x64) with Gobi Qualcomm using umtsmon. But something is different to yours: Using bash, typing route and hit the enter key I do not receive the whole answer and after that it is unpossible to enter additional commands. It seems that the routing table is beeing locked by someone and due to this, any program who tries to read the routing table,fails. In the end there is of course no default gateway.

But how could we solve this? Is there a logfile which shows a hint? Maybe it is possible to create a routingtable.conf.man for example as an offline file for use with the umts stick.