Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Qubes OS

Default Qubes OS

Home

I am seriously contemplating switching from OpenSUSE 11.4 64 bit with Tumbleweed over to this new Qubes OS which is based on Red Hat Fedora 14, Xen, and the X Windows System. I tend to favor security over functionality and features, but Qubes has a lot of potential going for it. Fedora is one of the most stable, reliable, and dependable GNU/Linux operating systems and it is considered to be a cutting edge distribution. The principles of virtual machines and sandboxes are proven technologies when it comes to reducing the attack surfaces and vectors for cyber attacks especially concerning 0 day exploits. The only disadvantage of the Qubes OS is that it is going to require at least 512.00 MB of RAM per virtual machine, but this is not a problem for me since I own an ASUS N61JV-X2 notebook PC with 8.00 GB of DDR3 PC-8500 1,066 MHz SDRAM and I also own an Intel 2nd Generation 34nm 160.00 GB Solid State Drive.

I wanted to get opinions from community members here about this upcoming Qubes OS which just recently released its public beta version.

Thank you.

Default Re: Qubes OS

Qubes OS uses KDE as its default desktop environment.

Quote Originally Posted by wellywu View Post
    Fedora is one of the most stable, reliable, and dependable

Seriously you're killing me.

Default Απ: Qubes OS

Home

I am seriously contemplating switching from OpenSUSE 11.4 64 bit with Tumbleweed over to this new Qubes OS which is based on Red Hat Fedora 14, Xen, and the X Windows System. I tend to favor security over functionality and features, but Qubes has a lot of potential going for it. Fedora is one of the most stable, reliable, and dependable GNU/Linux operating systems and it is considered to be a cutting edge distribution. The principles of virtual machines and sandboxes are proven technologies when it comes to reducing the attack surfaces and vectors for cyber attacks especially concerning 0 day exploits. The only disadvantage of the Qubes OS is that it is going to require at least 512.00 MB of RAM per virtual machine, but this is not a problem for me since I own an ASUS N61JV-X2 notebook PC with 8.00 GB of DDR3 PC-8500 1,066 MHz SDRAM and I also own an Intel 2nd Generation 34nm 160.00 GB Solid State Drive.

I wanted to get opinions from community members here about this upcoming Qubes OS which just recently released its public beta version.

Thank you.
    It is like Kubuntu in my eyes.
    Πάντα Φιλικά, Στάμος.
    Desktop: openSUSE Leap 15.3||x86_64||Gnome 3.14 & KDE 5||AMD Ryzen 7 8 core||Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti Gaming Edition
    Γλώσσες Προγραμματισμού: C++, Qt developing.
    http://bit.ly/fT8Hfi

I just would try it out and see how it is in real.

Since it runs in virtual mode and applications are declared to on layer or the other, yes it may be more secure as it does not touch the real system.
    But, this does not protect against the dangers of the web of course.
    I would like to read a review about it and see if it is really that secure, since this is a bold marketing slogan to distinguish it from other distributions.

But like i said, try it out. Perhaps it is great.
    +++ ATH0

. . . . . . . .
    LOGOFF COMPLETE

Blog Entries

Easy to try it out, let us know how it goes, sounds interesting.
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

You can install it on a USB flash stick drive and run it though it will be slow. As for me, I will wait for the stable shipping version to be released hopefully this fall 2011 semester according to the Qubes OS FAQ.

You can install it on a USB flash stick drive and run it though it will be slow. As for me, I will wait for the stable shipping version to be released hopefully this fall 2011 semester according to the Qubes OS FAQ.
    I'm contemplating switching to Fedora 15
    Desktop: AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3 Ghz | 4 GB RAM | GeForce GT 630

Seriously, how do you expect anyone to take you seriously when you start your post with such absurb claims as "Fedora is stable and dependable".

If you haven't noticed Fedora has become the laughing stock of the rest of the Linux "community" (and I shall use that rather loosely) for the fact that they are most likely the least stable, most bleeding edge distribution that constantly pushes out completely broken updates, has broken components out of the box and has the stability of Charles Manson.

Fedora is like a car made in China, I sure as hell wouldn't go faster than 20km/h with it and wearing full kevlar body armour.

Quote Originally Posted by JoergJaeger View Post
    [...]
    But, this does not protect against the dangers of the web of course.
    I would like to read a review about it and see if it is really that secure, since this is a bold marketing slogan to distinguish it from other distributions.
    [...]
    You should... really: Qubes OS Architecture

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast