Thread: How to connect 3g gsm data card to internet in opensuse 11.3(Gnome)

Question How to connect 3g gsm data card to internet in opensuse 11.3(Gnome)

Hello Friends,

I recently purchased a Micromax 3g GSM usb data card(MMX 352G). I am using it in windows 7 but now I want it to connect to the Opensuse 11.3 to use internet.

This modem is not detected by the command "wvdialconf"

the device is detected by command "lsusb" as 1c9e:9605

I don't know what to do next.
    Please Help!!!!!!!

Default Re: How to connect 3g gsm data card to internet in opensuse 11.3(Gnome)

Is the modem in the machine when you turn it on?
    And does rfkill think the interface is blocked?
    Vaio F11: i7-720QM 8GB RAM Nvidia GT 330m
    Win 7 Pro 64 bit | openSuse 11.4 64 bit | Arch Linux 64 bit

I started the computer with and without the device in it but no device is detected.
    I don't know rfkill is a command or not. If it is then it is not running in the terminal.
    It shows 'rfkill' is not a typo.........".

Even opensuse doesn't detect the CD created by the modem containing the the modem drivers for Windows and Mac.

I googled this problem and I found some articles about my problem and worked accordingly and created a script in /usr/bin folder with the contents:

#!/bin/bash
    sleep 5
    usb_modeswitch -W -c /etc/usb_modeswitch.d/1c9e\:f000
    modprobe usbserial vendor=0x1c9e product=0x9605

This script makes my device to be able to detected by wvdialconf as /dev/ttyUSB1

I previously used wvdial with my mobile phone. So I configured it to work with my DATA CARD. but nothing worked.

I also tried Kppp. I configured the modem in kppp and is querying superbly, but still not able to connect to the internet.

Then I tried UMTSMON which also detects my device after running the above script.
    It shows the signal strength indicate the presence of UMTS signal but when I try to connect the Internet it shows a progress bar to 100% and after that it shows Disconnecting in place of signal indicator.
    Same is the problem with Network Manager.

Please help.

I'm glad you found out about the usb_modeswitch.
    Can you post the output of wvdial?
    rfkill must be installed via zypper.
    Code:
    zypper in rfkill
    But you already figured out that isn't the problem.
    Does openSuse detect any CDs?
    Vaio F11: i7-720QM 8GB RAM Nvidia GT 330m
    Win 7 Pro 64 bit | openSuse 11.4 64 bit | Arch Linux 64 bit