Thread: New i5-750 processors and openSUSE

Default New i5-750 processors and openSUSE

Hi,

I previously ran SuSe and then openSUSE for several years on an older computer.

I am looking at buying a new HP and I was wondering if the new processors, e.g., i5-750 quad-core processor, will work with openSUSE.

Is there anything I need to be aware of when shopping for a new computer that I want to run Linux on?

Thanks!

jina

Default Re: New i5-750 processors and openSUSE

Core i series processors work great with Linux.
    If you are only going to use Linux,why pay for Windows?You could save some money buying a computer without Windows preinstalled.

Check what graphics card/chip is included. Google it for "linux and make and model" to search for any distro problems. Then use the forum search on the "make and model" to identify any openSUSE issues.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: New i5-750 processors and openSUSE

Hi,

I previously ran SuSe and then openSUSE for several years on an older computer.

I am looking at buying a new HP and I was wondering if the new processors, e.g., i5-750 quad-core processor, will work with openSUSE.

Is there anything I need to be aware of when shopping for a new computer that I want to run Linux on?

Thanks!

jina
    I agree with Aatish910's statement on Intel i series CPU's. They have worked great for me. If you are thinking of buying an HP at a retail store, why not ask if you could boot the PC from a Linux LiveCD disk and even offer it up to be scanned by Windows virus protection, if it can. Might help see if it will work OK. In most cases, the real issues is not the CPU, but the network, video or sound. If you had a particular model in mind, search the model number over the Internet with Linux and see if any issues have surfaced before you buy. You have to be quick, as new computer model numbers can change as fast as the weather. A few times I had an almost perfect PC, but had to install an addin card for network or sound and I always go for nVIDIA video if I have a choice.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

I'm running an i5-750 system and everything works well, the motherboard is Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3

Watch out for Sandy bridge chip-sets that use the Intel integrated GPU.

Please see this article:

[Phoronix] Low-End Sandy Bridge Linux Graphics Performance