Thread: ICS with USB modem / dynamic IP

Question ICS with USB modem / dynamic IP

Hi,

I have a box with 1 ethernet card and Huawei E160 USB modem. So, I have configured eth0 interface with IP 192.168.1.1 and modem0 interface with dynamically assigned IP.
    Now, I'd like to share Internet from modem0 to eth0 and so to the rest of home local network.

I need your advice on how to do it. All the manuals I've read deal with two ethernet cards that have static IPs. It seems that YAST lacks the GUI for it, too. Also, I need the configuration to work even with no user logged in so I'm using ifup instead of NetworkManager.

Please help me or point to some guide. Frankly, I'd prefer some GUI over text if possible.
    Thanks in advance and best regards,
    Marcin

Blog Entries

Default Re: ICS with USB modem / dynamic IP

Yes, I've seen this. But it assumes that gateway interface is ethernet card and tells me to assign it a static IP. But I have a ppp connection via USB modem that gets dynamic IP upon connection. In YAST > Network devices > Network setting there is a field for IP and interface for default gateway but I don't know how to specify it since it's different every time.

God, I'm blind. I've read it two times more and now I see that 'gateway' refers to the internal interface.
    OK, I'm trying again, no success ATM, but I'll double check every step.
    Sorry for confusion.

BR

Blog Entries

ICS.
    I've only seen this reference in the Windows world.
    More universal names for the same thing might include NAT, (PAT as an alternative to NAT), Masquerading (in *NIX).

Tony

So, I did it all over again, and it seems to work Thanks!